Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 330XI
Has anyone ever installed the Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70?

I did a search and did not find specific info on installing an Ipod Interface on a 2007 E70. Has anyone attempted it?

Thanks much.
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
Do you have the USB port in the armrest? If so you pay to program the car and get the BMW cable. If not I know his has been done before. I would do a search
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 01-04-2011, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 330XI
I do not see a USB port within the center console in my '07 X5. It only has the Auxiliary line-in input. I would prefer the Idrive control of the Ipod for alot of reasons. Perhaps the USB was an option in later years? I'm pretty sure it became standard in either '10 or '11. I searched the threads, and most of the topics were related to using an already in place USB.

For those without the USB, has anyone added an I-pod interface to the E70? I had it done to my E60, and it works great.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 (e70)
I'm in the same boat Jay330XI. do you have the CD changer?

Ebay is showing some factory kits for around 400-500 bucks, which supposedly replace the CD changer...but I'd love to see pics of how it works through Idrive, and the install process.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay330XI View Post
I do not see a USB port within the center console in my '07 X5. It only has the Auxiliary line-in input. I would prefer the Idrive control of the Ipod for alot of reasons. Perhaps the USB was an option in later years? I'm pretty sure it became standard in either '10 or '11. I searched the threads, and most of the topics were related to using an already in place USB.

For those without the USB, has anyone added an I-pod interface to the E70? I had it done to my E60, and it works great.
Yes. I had it installed in my 2010 E70 (35d). I bought it used and didn't understand how the various options worked until I started trying to figure-out how I was going to hook up and discovered the original owner decided to save the $70 at the time and didn't get the 6FL option. In which case, Y-cable is useless.

I ordered this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=796. I had it installed at my BMW dealer. So, I don't know much about the install. It does require some programming, so it's not a DIY unless you're able to do the programming or want to find one of the guys in the Fest to do it. (I'm sure one of them could, probably remotely!

I didn't have a CD Changer and this makes the iPod take the place of it. It falls way short of the Bluetooth integration and BMW Apps with the newer systems, but I'm pretty happy with it. It makes driving the iPod interface on my iPhone fairly handy. There's a few quirks to it, but not bad.

Biggest difference that might matter between my setup and what you're thinking is my E70 has the newer CIC iDrive, rather than the older CCC (I think that's it...). I don't know what sort of difference that might make.

The only other thing I'd mention off the top of my head is that the BMW install puts the cable in your glove box. I've thought about pulling the cable out and routing it up to the console and buying one of the nice custom mounts from KUDA, but I haven't done that as yet!
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 (e70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
I ordered this: http://www.shopbmwusa.com/ProductDet...&ProductId=796. I had it installed at my BMW dealer. So, I don't know much about the install. It does require some programming, so it's not a DIY unless you're able to do the programming or want to find one of the guys in the Fest to do it. (I'm sure one of them could, probably remotely!
Thanks for the data, what did the dealer charge for the install?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Refugee View Post
Thanks for the data, what did the dealer charge for the install?
Cost for install was $225 + tax. I had it done back in Nov, 2011.