Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM
2007 X3

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Wheel Alignment

I recently replaced my lower rear control arms, and my two back tires, which was the problem I was having with the strange noise when hitting bumps on the road I posted bout earlier. Anyway the dealer is highly recommending a wheel Alignment afterwards, but I have no issues with my steering. Is this necessary after this repair? And do I have to get this done at the dealer for 190+ tax?

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdaniels33 View Post
I recently replaced my lower rear control arms, and my two back tires, which was the problem I was having with the strange noise when hitting bumps on the road I posted bout earlier. Anyway the dealer is highly recommending a wheel Alignment afterwards, but I have no issues with my steering. Is this necessary after this repair? And do I have to get this done at the dealer for 190+ tax?

Sent from my HTC One X using Bimmer App
Yes. BMW's have alignment adjustments on the rear as well. So while it steers fine it may well scrub your rear tires down to nothing in no time. I don't know about just the dealer but I would. There is a special tool required to adjust the trailing arm bracket.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
2007 X3

Ok thanks, just wanted another opinion...
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdaniels33 View Post
And do I have to get this done at the dealer for 190+ tax?
It is probably worth the extra cost at the dealership for a couple of reasons:

- they should be more familiar with the specs. for an X3 than a general front-end shop and less likely to mis-read what the alignment machine is telling them

- they may routinely ask customers what their usual passenger or cargo load is and put corresponding weights in the X3 prior to alignment

Make sure beforehand that they actually have the required alignment equipment in house and are not just going to contract it out.

One more thing worth fussing about - if you are happy with your steering wheel being properly centered now, tell them that you want to be sure it still is after the alignment.

Last edited by Supercourse; 01-04-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM
2007 X3

Okay thanks for the info, at the end of the day I guess I will feel better knowing it was done by them... By the way Circle BMW in Eatontown, NJ is great, with great staff...
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
My local indie shop offers a two tier pricing for alignment: about $100 diagnostics, then another $100 for the actual alignment, only if necessary. Might check with your dealer whether they can do it that way.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
My local indie shop offers a two tier pricing for alignment: about $100 diagnostics, then another $100 for the actual alignment, only if necessary. Might check with your dealer whether they can do it that way.
Quoting myself.

Didn't think I would be posting on this topic again so soon, but I had my car in my local indie shop yesterday for routine maintenance, and asked them to check the alignment via their two tier system since I had recently been on some rough off-road trails. Yep, needed alignment, front a lot, rear just a little, $175 to diagnose and align.

When I said I was doing this because I went off-road, my advisor said, hey, we get cars all the time that need alignment just from driving the rough roads here. See, with California in such a financial mess, luxuries like road paving are often set aside, I've been on paved roads almost as rough as jeep trails.

So I'll be looking at checking alignment annually now, even if I haven't made one of my off-road trips. BTW, as far as I could tell the vehicle tracked perfectly before the alignment, but I believe the alignment machine #'s and I'm glad I shelled out for the cost.

Last edited by spokelizard; 01-12-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: add a little more
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3
When I got my X3, it was desperate need of an alignment. 79.99 later at Sears and all 4 wheels were again within specs. I dont think there is any special science to getting an alignment.

Last edited by silentbob; 01-12-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
When I got my X3, it was desperate need of an alignment. 79.99 later at Sears and all 4 wheels were again within specs. I dont think there is any special science to getting an alignment.
My indie shop makes it look like a science. They have a fancy German machine which generates a lengthy computer printout of all specs both before and after, with the bad #'s in red and good #'s in green.

Guess that's what I paid $175 for instead of $80 at Sears.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: X3
my hunch is all alignment shops do that. i have received one for every alignment i have ever had, including sears. generally, i just make sure they have a hunter machine. i get front and rear toe, caster, camber, as well as cross front and back. they are in nice little boxes that are red or green with a nice picture of the wheels. it also has a table with the spec range. also, my knowledge may be outdated, but you cant adjust caster on BMWs.

the only time i have used a specialized shop was for my 996tt, which had coil overs, and i had the height adjusted, and so wanted it corner balanced as well. that was $300, and i had to make sure there was 1/2 tank of gas and told them how much i weighed.

Last edited by silentbob; 01-13-2013 at 05:45 AM.