Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: v8 tt
the way I see it is .... "To each his own" ... That's why there are thousands of makes/models out there for everyone to choose. What works for one may not work for others.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
The A7 is different and furthermore it's a hatchback. This is a turn off for many. I think it's rather stylish. I bet it's inspired by a car from another VAG brand. You who don't like the sloping back do you also find this one fugly?

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...400_photo.aspx

I wouldn't mind one but a nice one sell for about a million at actions.
Honestly, I have never liked the Miura.

I, too, find the A7 droopy butt-ed. Also, I find the hatchback to be less than practical. It's not very big.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
the way I see it is .... "To each his own" ... That's why there are thousands of makes/models out there for everyone to choose. What works for one may not work for others.
Ofcourse, discussion closed...
End of Bimmerfest threads filled with apples and pears......

Stll I prefer a BMW 5 Touring over any Audi product for the same budget.
But that is me, to everyone else his own.
Oh, I have to admit...
I have been looking at a pana, these cars cost a fortune overhere, so not easy comparable to a 5 series BMW, but I am developing in likings and taste, there is a red color available, the car looks, I know, it is difficult to say; quite nice.

Last edited by Sophisto; 01-13-2013 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeriley View Post
I can't wait for BmW to fix its problems (steering, handling, seating) and I want to come back. Please fix this on the LCI. SEATS EXCPECIALY. we need the side bolsters back. Those that praise the crap F10 comfort seats have no idea how goood seats can be.

Keep Bimmering my Friends,
MR
Interesting, but you have no credibility. The A7's steering is more numb than the F10's.

Don't get carried away with mags. One of them has to face the embarrassment, and then run around circles trying to justify themselves: see posts #1 and #2 http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789625

Last edited by bm323; 01-13-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:50 AM

my bad

Last edited by bm323; 01-13-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Here we go again. Why are you bringing up that FWD VW in this enchanted beloved BMW froum

What's so VW feeling about the A7? Some BMW fanboys told me its based on a Passat CC, is that true?
Autounion, autounion, you just love this thread

ps your sarcasm may be lost on some
Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I thought the 3 lacked the space I needed and quality of material I wanted. Luckily for me the M3 sedan has proven to solve all of that and more. ... There is no way BMW can or will fix all F10 shortcomings in relation to cars like the E60 with an LCI. I've now driven the new M5 and when it can't do it an LCI will for sure not. The M5 is really a fantastic car but it's lacking in connected feel and it drives very big IMO.
The M3 was in production when you ordered the F10, after your E60; and I presume the E60 535i. The fact is that you wanted a bigger car than the E9x (otherwise you could have bought the M3 and not the F10), and now trying to console yourself with the M3. The M5 would have been great, but you've bought the M3. I'm not sure how you drive, but for the way I did, the M3 is good as a driver's car but not for its passengers. The M5 is good for both, ie driver and passengers How do I know? I had a M3 loaner at length, alone in it; and driving passengers in both the M3 and M5.

A video clip for you http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/12/26/vi...-wet-skid-pad/

you mean you enjoy a rear like this? http://www.google.com.sg/imgres?q=ph...r:18,s:0,i:135

now check out the roadster that was launched here, worldwide http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models...ew/#!slide/800

Last edited by bm323; 01-13-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Wow, a lot of back and forth between people with strong opinions.

My original intent was not to be provoking but just to state my observation and comparison of two brands of vehicles.

My post was not to upset, pick fights, or be an A.. I can see how my comment about best car ever was inappropriate.
Mike, I really enjoyed reading your honest thoughts and emotions with your valid comparison of the Audi and BMW. It is especially refreshing for me to read this here, on the F10 forum. It is inevitable in any forum for people to get defensive and aggressive with their opinions, especially when you talk about their car. I would rather people be honest with themselves and us, versus stroking the pride of the forum.

We all have different levels of experience, different preferences, and different reasons for buying this class of car. I actually love the styling of the A7. I also appreciate the dramatic rear of the A7, and even the factory optioned wheels (on a side note, I think Audi does the best job when it comes to the design and looks of their factory wheels). I do agree with MiamiB that the A7 is a fair comparison with the 6-series or better.

Many GREAT points have been discussed thus far. I really do believe that the 2011 F10s are different animals than the later year F10s. When I dropped off my vehicle for service and had a 2012 535i loaner, I was amazed at how much more fun it was to drive. It felt more competent in every way. I swore by the sport button, as many here scoffed and said it was in my head. I wish I had the opportunity to trade in my vehicle for a 2012; however, I actually bought this vehicle (not leased) and don't have the luxury to loose a lot of money on trading up.

The difference between me and most of you is that this is my first BMW. I have never owned a luxury car in this class and did not know what to expect. I have always been a car enthusiast and wrenched my beaters going through life and school. Upon ownership I loved the refinement and quality of the F10; however, I never felt the passion, performance and the "driver's car" character that I have always read BMW to have. All this is a mute a point as the wifey loves the ride and my 8 month old son sleeps peacefully in it. I feel very blessed to own this vehicle, and will probably drive it into 2020.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)

Last edited by BigDeep1; 01-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Stll I prefer a BMW 5 Touring over any Audi product for the same budget.
But that is me, to everyone else his own.
:
See I have to disagree with you there - over an A7 sure, but not over an A6 or S5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggie View Post
The sad part is that I recently rented a Hyundai Sonata and I found the HANDLING was much better than my F10. No boat like suspension, sharp throttle response and good steering feedback. Yes, everything else loses out to the F10.
OK, that is just crazy talk now. Lets keep the comparisons in the realm of reality.

Quote:
You must have not seen the interior of the Audi A8. Beats anything BMW has ever put out.
A set in the right direction, but IMO not on par with the BMW yet. I remember test driving the A6 and S5 and getting in it and thinking. Oh ok... that's it huh. Compared to the BMW which I immediately felt at home wrapped in luxury. Again, just me.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
You must have not seen the interior of the Audi A8. Beats anything BMW has ever put out.

Why are BMW fans so concentrated on the A7, but ignore BMW's own failures? 5GT? 3GT? new 1 series? all hideous
A very close friend of mine recently bought a 2013 A8 and I drove it a few weeks ago. I don't agree with you that it beats anything BMW has ever put out. I like the interior in my 550 better. I do like the functionality of the Audi better in regards to the controls, but for aesthetics and and comfort the BMW is the hands down winner for me.
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 01-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
The A8 has a really nice interior but it's too "techy" and busy looking for my tastes. I like a little more "classic theme" to my styles.

Call me crazy but I think not only does the F10 have the nicest interior on the BMW lineup (that includes the F01 and new 6-Series), but IMO it has one of the nicest interior in the world, especially when you option a few key things out right.

And that's something I was saying and thinking even when I had my W212.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I am not married to the A7 either. It is a wonderful car. To say I lose credibility that I did not pan the seats is stupid. Nobody ever has said that the A7 seats are good, infact its one of the biggest complaints on the audi forums. I do not like them. But, as a rational person I also do not cum over the F10 seats knowing how good the E60 were before them.

As much as it hurts me and others, BMW really missed the mark on the new F10 for those that love the BMW driving feel, specifically those that are the ones that would spend time on these forums! However, obviously they have a hit, sales are great.

And for those that think the A7 is ugly, good for you. You have your opinion. It is not for everyone. Not that it matters but interestingly there is not a day, and I mean it, that I don't get a thumbs up from passing drivers or a nice car remark from people when my car is parked. I have never had that before, nor do I seek it, nor does it matter to me, just a fact.

My post was not to upset, pick fights, or be an A.. I can see how my comment about best car ever was inappropriate.

I really look forward to being back in a BMW (with side bolsters!).
Personally, I think the seats on a car is almost as important as the engine. If one cannot get comfortable in a car seat, the rest really doesnt matter. The A7's seats simply does not belong in a $75000 car. Audi should have put the A8's seats in the A7 or at least make it optional. Just out of curiosity, why are you so big on side bolsters? Are you a wide person? I find the standard bolsters just fine. If I were driving a Ferrari or something, I would want the side bolster to hold me tight, but not on a car like the F10, which is a 4 door sedan.
The whole BMW line up is going main stream, that means more comfortable ride and higher quality. As the sales numbers indicate, for every one customer they lose such as yourself, they gain two. A funny thing happen between Audi and BMW the last few years, they kind of swap places. BMW use to be the performance car maker and Audi somewhere between BMW and Mercedes as far as comfort and performance. Now BMW has the perfect balance of comfort and performance and Audi is now the sportier one.
Lastly, I dont think the A7 is ugly, I like the front end and the profile, the rear is average at best. My problem with the A7 is that it way over priced. Its about $12000 more than the A6, yet the powertrain and the interior is the same as the A6. At least when BMW charge a premium for the 6 series grand coupe, they upgarded the interior.

Last edited by The X Men; 01-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
The A8 has a really nice interior but it's too "techy" and busy looking for my tastes. I like a little more "classic theme" to my styles.

Call me crazy but I think not only does the F10 have the nicest interior on the BMW lineup (that includes the F01 and new 6-Series), but IMO it has one of the nicest interior in the world, especially when you option a few key things out right.

And that's something I was saying and thinking even when I had my W212.
When you say nicest interior, if you mean the nicest material for its class and built quality, then I agree. If you mean interior design, then I find BMW's interior pretty boring, they al look the same and the design is very conservative.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Don't worry, you're only being yourself "Auto Union was an amalgamation of four German automobile manufacturers, founded in 1932 and established in 1936 in Chemnitz, Saxony, during the Great Depression. The company has evolved into present day Audi, as a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group."

And it's no wonder that in dunderhi's thread, you recommended him to buy a S6 ... and no word from you regarding the X5M, when and after he got the X5M (though you proclaim you drive a X5 ) and 650iX.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Don't worry, you're only being yourself "Auto Union was an amalgamation of four German automobile manufacturers, founded in 1932 and established in 1936 in Chemnitz, Saxony, during the Great Depression. The company has evolved into present day Audi, as a subsidiary of Volkswagen Group."
LOL, I think he knows where the term Auto Union comes from In fact, I bet most of us in here knows the origin as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Clearly, I overstepped my opinion about the F10 being the worst car ever. Clearly that is not true, but I am a very big fan of BMW's especially my last 5er (the E60) and therefore the bold statement which I humbly retract.
Mike, thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
It would look absolutely hideous after I put the required duct tape on the top of the center console.

Quote:
Why are BMW fans so concentrated on the A7, but ignore BMW's own failures? 5GT? 3GT? new 1 series? all hideous
Did you read the first post? The A7 was offered up as an F10 killer. Please go back and read some of Capobranco's threads, we weren't very kind to his 5GT. Okay, I wasn't very kind, IIRC I said it wasn't like permanently putting a 400lb Sumo wrestler in the back seat.

Quote:
And it's no wonder that in dunderhi's thread, you recommended him to buy a S6 ... and no word from you regarding the X5M, when and after he got the X5M (though you proclaim you drive a X5 ) and 650iX.
I'll check my PM's, there probably was a congrats somewhere.

P.S. Since you reminded my I think I'll post an update.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 01-13-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:12 AM

I remember being not nice to capo about his GT, but man it is in the same dark spot as is the A7.

A lot of members overhere have praised over and over again the S5, I like that car too.
BUT.
For that money I would prefer owning a M3 and compairing the S5 with the F10 is compairing a peanut to a wallnut.
AND.
The only A6 that is worth the trouble of looking at has got AWD and a 3ltr tfsi engine, that is a fine engine, but the rest of such a car is less than any BMW in the same budget class.
So yes I prefer a BMW over any Audi for the same amount of money.

Last edited by Sophisto; 01-13-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
The M3 was in production when you ordered the F10, after your E60; and I presume the E60 535i. The fact is that you wanted a bigger car than the E9x (otherwise you could have bought the M3 and not the F10), and now trying to console yourself with the M3. The M5 would have been great, but you've bought the M3. I'm not sure how you drive, but for the way I did, the M3 is good as a driver's car but not for its passengers. The M5 is good for both, ie driver and passengers How do I know? I had a M3 loaner at length, alone in it; and driving passengers in both the M3 and M5.

A video clip for you http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/12/26/vi...-wet-skid-pad/

you mean you enjoy a rear like this? http://www.google.com.sg/imgres?q=ph...r:18,s:0,i:135

now check out the roadster that was launched here, worldwide http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models...ew/#!slide/800
bm323, why don't you offer your own review or opinion for a change instead of constantly telling anyone who don't love the F10 that they are lying and worse? Everyone else are sharing opinions about the cars not the commenters. We often disagree and much is subjective but we don't call each other liers. People do see many things differently and sometime we are wrong but it doesn't mean we are lying. I did think the M3 was too small, I learnt that I was wrong. The M5 is not better for me since as any F10 I've driven it doesn't give me the connected feel I'm looking for in a sedan. If you like me to reply in the future lay off the personal attacks or I will just ignore as is the case with tadtaggert's comments.

Last edited by solstice; 01-13-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:

Seriously? Been plenty of bashing of the GT. If someone came here and posted about how great the GT was, you don't think many would say the butt is ugly?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 PM
BMW's Since 1989

Mein Auto: 2014 328xit
Quote:
. . . Wow! what a car. feels just as fast as the 550 but handles WAAAAAAAY better. . . The Audi schools the F10 left and right, up and down. No question. It feels 90% of the E60. . . MR
Not sure of the point of this posting. Perhaps the OP is looking for reassurance that he did the right thing?

Might have made more sense to compare the A7 on the 6-series thread. 90% of an E60? That's not much of recommendation for many of us who prefer our F10's to our previous E60's. It all comes down to personal preferences.

Certainly caused a lot of discussion, though. And yep, you did good. Like the F10 the A7 is certainly a nice ride.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Quote:
My original intent was not to be provoking but just to state my observation and comparison of two brands of vehicles.
Wow, that is funny.

You didn't want to be provoking but you said the following. You obviously wanted to provoke and you accomplished your goal - with CAPS and definitive statements.

Quote:
After that ordered a 2011 F10 550x msport. WORST CAR EVER. Drove like a pig. hated it.
Quote:
feels just as fast as the 550 but handles WAAAAAAAY better. No boat like feeling.
Quote:
The Audi schools the F10 left and right, up and down. No question.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Xwen View Post
Wow, that is funny.

You didn't want to be provoking but you said the following. You obviously wanted to provoke and you accomplished your goal - with CAPS and definitive statements.
Do not be too harsh on the guy.
You would need some relieve if you had a fugly car like the A7 on your driveway and your wife complaining for wanting a BMW.
Go figure!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
It seems to be mainly three camps here.

1. Drivers who put luxury first. Many are coming from other brands since they found the E60 lacking in one or several of: ride quality, interior and exterior styling. They want as much sportiness as possible as longs it doesn't compromise luxury. This group has found heaven in the F10.

2. Drivers who put sportiness first. The E60 was the only car in it's segment who did this. These drivers often wants luxury as long as it doesn't compromise sportiness. Most of this group comes from an E60 with sport suspension. This group is often dissapointed in the F10.

3. Drivers who has experienced quality issues with early build F10's.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Lastly, I dont think the A7 is ugly, I like the front end and the profile, the rear is average at best. My problem with the A7 is that it way over priced. Its about $12000 more than the A6, yet the powertrain and the interior is the same as the A6. At least when BMW charge a premium for the 6 series grand coupe, they upgarded the interior.
not really. ~$6k more between top end loaded S6 and S7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

Yes, I'm gonna call you crazy I really like the curved dash of the 6GC and the optional leather dash makes it seem quite expensive (of course, it is though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
It would look absolutely hideous after I put the required duct tape on the top of the center console.
The stupid pop nav Designer who came up with that needs to get shot

Quote:
I'll check my PM's, there probably was a congrats somewhere.
There were multiple congrats (from me) in your post in the X5M section

bm323 is too dumb to go look.

Quote:
bm323, why don't you offer your own review or opinion for a change instead of constantly telling anyone who don't love the F10 that they are lying and worse? Everyone else are sharing opinions about the cars not the commenters. If you like me to reply in the future lay off the personal attacks or I will just ignore as is the case with tadtaggert's comments.
Finally, someone else sees his crap. He's ruined multiple M5 threads where people were giving their own opinions of the car. I don't understand why people constantly quote him. Quite annoying when you have the moron on ignore.

He reminds of a teenager whose parents just bought an F10 and let him drive every so often, so he thinks it's the best thing in the world. He's akin to the people over on ClubLexus or AcuraZine. Quite delusional and out of reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
Seriously? Been plenty of bashing of the GT. If someone came here and posted about how great the GT was, you don't think many would say the butt is ugly?
I must have missed all of that I would have joined in on it
Old 01-13-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
It seems to be mainly three camps here.

1. Drivers who put luxury first. Many are coming from other brands since they found the E60 lacking in one or several of: ride quality, interior and exterior styling. They want as much sportiness as possible as longs it doesn't compromise luxury. This group has found heaven in the F10.

2. Drivers who put sportiness first. The E60 was the only car in it's segment who did this. These drivers often wants luxury as long as it doesn't compromise sportiness. Most of this group comes from an E60 with sport suspension. This group is often dissapointed in the F10.

3. Drivers who has experienced quality issues with early build F10's.
Good post. Also what I've seemed to notice is that people who did own the E60 moved to the F10 and appreciate the luxury of the F10 more because (let's face it), the E60 wasn't very luxurious. It merely drove really really well.