Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 01-12-2013, 11:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Oakley eyeglasses, regular or Plutonite lenses?

I've had my current Oakley frame for almost 6 years. Still looks new, so I picked out another Oakley frame.

When I'm picking lenses for it, I have two options

1. $233.95 Hi-index 1.67, Transitions, Crizal coating

or

2. $350 Oakley plutonite, transitions, Oakley AR coating

I got option #1 last time and they have held up perfectly.

Do I spend the extra $120 on Oakley lenses? Anyone have experience with them? Is Plutonite that much better?

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
I had my oakley for 12 years... but at the prices you are talking about... that is just Nucking Futs!! The price for "lens" are what is listed as MSRP glasses from my optomitrist (read: partial paid by insurance and the rest paid by Flexible spending Account).

Old 01-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
I had my oakley for 12 years... but at the prices you are talking about... that is just Nucking Futs!! The price for "lens" are what is listed as MSRP glasses from my optomitrist (read: partial paid by insurance and the rest paid by Flexible spending Account).

What's sad is that these are the cheapest prices around. I've been to every glasses store, OD office in my area. Best I could do was $379 for the frame and $330 for non hi-index, transitions, crizal. That's over $700!

These are from framesdirect.com. I ordered my last Oakley's from there and saved a huge amount. There, its $250 for the frame and I have to decide between what lenses I want. So no on the plutonite?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
You don't really need the Oakley Plutonite lenses. It's just Oakley Branded Lenses and cost considerably more than a high index lens with AR. I plan on getting my frames online and sending it to this site..http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/ to get my lenses put in. Their lenses costs a little less than other places and gives you more choices. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
You don't really need the Oakley Plutonite lenses. It's just Oakley Branded Lenses and cost considerably more than a high index lens with AR. I plan on getting my frames online and sending it to this site..http://www.eyeglasslensdirect.com/ to get my lenses put in. Their lenses costs a little less than other places and gives you more choices. Hope this helps.
How's the turnaround on that site? And are they pretty reliable?

I've used framesdirect.com and they're legit. They've warrantied and expedited Crizal lenses for me where the coating was peeling off.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-12-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
How's the turnaround on that site? And are they pretty reliable?

I've used framesdirect.com and they're legit. They've warrantied and expedited Crizal lenses for me where the coating was peeling off.

Their website says "Ships 2 weeks after we receive your frames. " I'm not sure if that means the lens takes 2 weeks for the company to recieve before they can put it in your frames or your frames and lenses will be shipped in 2 weeks after recieving your frames. I've never used them, but I plan on using them this year. FYI, my last frame and lenses which I bought from Framesdirect.com, which were High Index 1.67 with Persol frames took more than 8 weeks to get. I don't plan on using them again after that. But if I can get my glasses in 2-3 weeks I'll be happy. FYI, Eyelensdirect.com shows 4 Stars from 8 reviews on Yelp.com. I would call or email them on the avg turnaround time.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman619 View Post
FYI, my last frame and lenses which I bought from Framesdirect.com, which were High Index 1.67 with Persol frames took more than 8 weeks to get. I don't plan on using them again after that. But if I can get my glasses in 2-3 weeks I'll be happy. FYI, Eyelensdirect.com shows 4 Stars from 8 reviews on Yelp.com. I would call or email them on the avg turnaround time.
Yeah, I used framesdirect my last time and it took almost 4 weeks to get my glasses. I can't find too many places that carry Oakley frames (and are authorized). Still searching

EDIT: check out www.glasses.com. They seem legit and unlike framesdirect.com, no restocking fee.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 01-12-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Not sure if this is relevant...

I purchased a pair of Oakley sunglasses perhaps 3 or 4 years ago. I believe they are Whisper. They have polarized prescription lenses. My eyesight is about -3.50. The cost was in the 450 to 500 range here in Canada. The price shock has faded over time and been replaced with the sheer joy of wearing these glasses. I wish I had purchased quality polarized sunglasses decades earlier. It is amazing how much fresher I feel after driving. I did not know what I was missing until I started wearing these glasses.

You want to talk sticker shock? My regular glasses, which are seamless bi-focals cost me $1050. The seamless bi-focal sweetspot is pretty small.

I also have a pair of reading glasses which are full sized, not those tiny things you see people wearing. These have been great for my job, which has me spending extended hours on the computer.