Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Vermillion Red
Quick question about texts on 2012 E92

I was at dealership yesterday and nobody could answer this question! WTF? They all had different opinions. It was like bad comedy. So I searched on here and never could find definitive answer. Maybe someone can give simple answer to these two questions if possible.

So here goes:

1) If BMW Apps are NOT installed, and you're using an iPhone 5, can you get text up on the screen to have read to you? And can you dictate reply to texts, (maybe via Sirior something)? Since I'm getting a manual transmission, being able to listen to texts would be most helpful without fumbling with my phone.

2) If Apps is the ONLY way to get this to happen, can it be retrofitted? One guy there said NO, another said Yes. Then they argued. Then I left since no one knew for sure.

Also I still do have my old iPhone 4 I use for music mostly. Not sure if that can be worked in somehow.

I was just so surprised that no one at the place really could give a straight answer.
sigh
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggBrent View Post
I was at dealership yesterday and nobody could answer this question! WTF? They all had different opinions. It was like bad comedy. So I searched on here and never could find definitive answer. Maybe someone can give simple answer to these two questions if possible.

So here goes:

1) If BMW Apps are NOT installed, and you're using an iPhone 5, can you get text up on the screen to have read to you? And can you dictate reply to texts, (maybe via Sirior something)? Since I'm getting a manual transmission, being able to listen to texts would be most helpful without fumbling with my phone.
No. And no reply is supported.

Quote:
2) If Apps is the ONLY way to get this to happen, can it be retrofitted? One guy there said NO, another said Yes. Then they argued. Then I left since no one knew for sure.
If BMW Assist is installed then BMW Apps is there, but it will need a set of enabling codes to enable. No USA dealer will enable it. Contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details.

If BMW Assist is not installed then a Combox module would have to be retrofitted. Again, contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details. No USA dealer will retrofit a Combox.

Quote:
Also I still do have my old iPhone 4 I use for music mostly. Not sure if that can be worked in somehow.

I was just so surprised that no one at the place really could give a straight answer.
sigh
Dealers sells cars and parts, and fix your car. That's mostly it.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Vermillion Red
Thanks Technic for straightforward answer. I'll contact bimmertech.

you'd think the salespeople trying to sell the cars would be able to answer these types of questions.