Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
DHP - Is It Active Steering?

I am trying to get a couple things hammered out before I head over to the dealership to start testing out F30s. Is the Dynamic Handling Package steering the same as the Active Steering/variable steering of the E90? I heard a lot of negative things about that.

I would like the adaptive suspension, but I'm not sure of whether the variable steering is any different. I remember trying it on an early E90 and that I didn't like it as much as normal steering.
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
You get used to it, real fast. The entire package is amazing.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Go for the DHP. From someone who drives these cars day to day, getting the adaptive M suspension enables you to get the best out of your car, whether you want comfort, or sporty dynamics. It's a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Go for the DHP. From someone who drives these cars day to day, getting the adaptive M suspension enables you to get the best out of your car, whether you want comfort, or sporty dynamics. It's a must.
+1 here too, and this is coming from a previous E46 coupe owner. I absolutely love it for versitility in my driving habits and where I drive. I wouldn't be without it. However before you decide, you must take a test drive in a car with DHP and without it before making up your mind as we are all different.

Bob
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post
+1 here too, and this is coming from a previous E46 coupe owner. I absolutely love it for versitility in my driving habits and where I drive. I wouldn't be without it. However before you decide, you must take a test drive in a car with DHP and without it before making up your mind as we are all different.

Bob
YES!! WE'RE ALL DIFFERENT!!

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I am trying to get a couple things hammered out before I head over to the dealership to start testing out F30s. Is the Dynamic Handling Package steering the same as the Active Steering/variable steering of the E90? I heard a lot of negative things about that.

I would like the adaptive suspension, but I'm not sure of whether the variable steering is any different. I remember trying it on an early E90 and that I didn't like it as much as normal steering.
No.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
I had an F30 as a loaner a couple of times. I believe it did not have VSS being a base model. The steering felt very easy, probably too easy when driving, provided little feel. I have an E90 currently and like that steering feel better. So if you get VSS, while I understand it is not the same as the E90 steering based on what is said above, how would you describe the VSS feel (ie how would one go about comparing it to the E90 steering)?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Yes, assuming neither car has active steering, steering in the F30 is much easier than steering in an E90.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive
And how would VSS compare to E90 steering?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplev View Post
And how would VSS compare to E90 steering?
And how would VSS F30 compare to an E46? When I traded my beloved 2001 330ci for my F30 335 M Sport with VSS, it was that last bit of road feel that I missed at first, but I got used to it pretty quick. In Sport and Sport + modes, the steering with VSS and 19" wheels is very precise when really pushed around on winding roads.

On another note, I do miss the seating position of my E46 as compared to the F30. I cannot comment on this with an E90 since I have never driven one. Even when the sport seat is set to the highest position, one sits lower in the F30. This is most noticeable on narrow roads in city driving and when parking. This is about my only gripe about the F30. I am 5'8". However, it does not bother my 5'2" inch tall wife one bit.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
My 2 cents:

Can't generalize f30 - 328i feels different than 335i. 335i is closer to feel with E90 than 328i - in general. 328i is too smooth for me, too disconnected from the road..
Of course when you change sport mode.. you get more out of the car (f30) - in general.. I'd say get DHP - you will be able to enjoy 4 flavors of driving with the same car -- really fun! .. and worth every bit of additional money you'd put into this option..

Enjoy!

Last edited by Crzy'boutBimmer; 01-11-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive Msport
DHP will help you alter suspension of the car, in addition to the throttle response and steering feel.. - this I am telling you by experience... I've taken really long test drives on f30s with DHP.. and tested the options really well...
Old 01-11-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzy'boutBimmer View Post
DHP will help you alter suspension of the car, in addition to the throttle response and steering feel.. - this I am telling you by experience... I've taken really long test drives on f30s with DHP.. and tested the options really well...
Yes, for sure as I own one. As much as I loved my former E46 and current Infiniti G35 , neither can hold a candle in handling to our new F30 335 M Sport with DHP in my humble opinion. Just mt 2 cents.

Bob
Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 AM

Mein Auto: abcdef
Quote:
I'm just coming to the end of the break-in period where I've been driving very conservatively. During that time I've been unable to notice any real impact or difference of feel with DHP enabled. (And yes, I do have the car configured to tweak the suspension in Sport/Sport+.)

What are some good ways to validate DHP is working and start to explore what it brings to the car?

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
You should feel the difference in road feel as soon as you put it in sport mode. I do, it is a lot stiffer.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Is the Dynamic Handling Package steering the same as the Active Steering/variable steering of the E90?
I had Active Steering on a 2007 E92. Although I got used to it, the change in steering ratio, as one steered into a tight corner, always seemed a bit un-natural. However, the Variable Sport Steering seems totally natural, very direct and has good on centre feel, especially when the Sport or Sport+ setting is selected.

I would highly recommend DHP which gives you the ability to configure chassis damping and steering response.
2013 F30-335i M Sport, Glacier silver, 8 spd, black dakota w/walnut trim, premium pkg, 18" Style 400M wheels, adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport brakes, front & Rear PDC, Sat radio, BMW Assist pkg.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
You should feel the difference in road feel as soon as you put it in sport mode. I do, it is a lot stiffer.

It's quite obvious on Sport and Sport +. I have just approached the 1200 mile break-in and starting to appreciate the differences now.

I found something on another thread which I find helps to explain the differences when driving in the different modes. See below in quotes. This is pretty much what I am experiencing now as I am past my break-in and starting to push the car.

So far I am finding the same differences as described below between the Sport modes and Comfort/Eco Pro modes on my 335 M-Sport with the optional DHP package with ASS, and VSS. However, I cannot attest to the non-DHP models since I have not had experience with them. Anyway, here is the info as quoted below:

"Setting the adaptive suspension to "normal" does soften up the damping for a smoother ride on rougher pavement, but the actual base suspension in the Lux, Modern, and base models doesn't feel like the adaptive suspension.
With the adaptive suspension, not only are the dampers different, but so are the springs, compared to a non adaptive setup.
In "normal" mode the suspension is still a good bit better than the base suspension.

The ride quality between the 2 settings is noticeable, and so is the handling.

Another advantage you get with the DH pkg is that you can set up the "driving" mode in a couple different ways not offered without the DH pkg.
For example, you can set the steering firmness and suspension to be in "firm/sport" mode, while at the same time the throttle and auto trans work as they do in "normal" mode.
This gives you the sportier firm steering feel, along with the firmer and better handling sport suspension setting, but the sport AT will shift as it does in "normal" mode giving you all 8 gears for smoothest shifts, and lowest rpm running during highway speeds.

Without the DH pkg, when you set the driving mode to "sport", then you get the firmer steering, quicker throttle response, and the AT will hold shifts for higher rpm, but it won't shift to 8th gear by the time you get to 55mph."

With this said, I sure find that our new 2013 M-Sport to be much different in handling than our 2001 330ci. I still do miss a bit of that road feel in that car, but all in all, I find the new F30 to be much more refined in every way.

PS: My sincere thanks to the individual who explained the differences and apologies for any plagiarism.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post
It's quite obvious on Sport and Sport +. I have just approached the 1200 mile break-in and starting to appreciate the differences now.

Another advantage you get with the DH pkg is that you can set up the "driving" mode in a couple different ways not offered without the DH pkg.
For example, you can set the steering firmness and suspension to be in "firm/sport" mode, while at the same time the throttle and auto trans work as they do in "normal" mode.
This gives you the sportier firm steering feel, along with the firmer and better handling sport suspension setting, but the sport AT will shift as it does in "normal" mode giving you all 8 gears for smoothest shifts, and lowest rpm running during highway speeds.

Without the DH pkg, when you set the driving mode to "sport", then you get the firmer steering, quicker throttle response, and the AT will hold shifts for higher rpm, but it won't shift to 8th gear by the time you get to 55mph."
I can't resist - so forgive me. You could skip the extra $500 for the sport paddles and the extra $1,000 for the DHP and achieve the same benefit discussed in the snippet above by owning a MT - you can shift into whatever gear you want to and use the sport driving mode.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Estorilblau ///Member

Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
Did anyone here opt out of DHP after testing cars with and without? If so, why?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
I can't resist - so forgive me. You could skip the extra $500 for the sport paddles and the extra $1,000 for the DHP and achieve the same benefit discussed in the snippet above by owning a MT - you can shift into whatever gear you want to and use the sport driving mode.
Most people opt for DHP because of the active suspension, which the transmission doesn't affect one way or the other. Have you driven a car with DHP?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Most people opt for DHP because of the active suspension, which the transmission doesn't affect one way or the other. Have you driven a car with DHP?
I did drive one with and one without, back to back for about 1 hour each. Not at the limits mind you, but pretty hard. I didn't notice much of a difference.

The poster above was describing how you could change the shift point in I Drive using the DHP and get the shift point and the suspension to behave in "mixed modes". All I was pointing out was that the MT allows you to do that without $1,500 in options.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 01-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

The 8AT does that with or without DHP. The reason to get DHP is for the dynamic suspension which allows for a pretty comfortable daily commuter or a harder suspension on demand.... and, to a lesser degree the variable steering rack that makes parking lot maneuvers effortless.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
If you drove a car that you thought had DHP and couldn't notice a difference between modes, then the car you were driving didn't have DHP. It's not subtle.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
My 2 cents:

Can't generalize f30 - 328i feels different than 335i. 335i is closer to feel with E90 than 328i - in general. 328i is too smooth for me, too disconnected from the road..
Of course when you change sport mode.. you get more out of the car (f30) - in general.. I'd say get DHP - you will be able to enjoy 4 flavors of driving with the same car -- really fun! .. and worth every bit of additional money you'd put into this option..

Enjoy!
Why do you think there is a difference between the 328 and the 335? Other than the engine and brakes, the rest of the systems are the same including the EPS.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Great idea, but not everyone wants a MT. Been there, done that with several MT cars for many years during my 1+ hour daily logjam-commute with stop and traffic in a large metropolitan area. During that time I wore out 2 clutches and nearly did in my knee too using that darn clutch!

There was a time in my life when I would not buy a car without a MT, but now it is the other way around. I would pay double or more for a car without a MT if I had too.

I did my homework and went to several dealers in our area for the best offer below MSRP on our 2013 335 M-Sport that paid for the "$500 paddles and extra $1000 for the DHP" and had money left over.