Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 PM

Send a message via ICQ to normsbimmer
Mein Auto: 2012 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I think one of the reasons why I drive a humble 3 series is because I grew up so poor.

I lived in a very modest row home right outside of a large east coast city. We had nothing, nothing at all when I grew up. My parents were great though...They brought me up well.

I worked really hard to get where I am at. When I was a kid, I never even imagined that I would be driving around in a car like an F30 335. My house is paid for, I got 2 kids going to college, we're doing great financially, but I am perfectly ok driving around in a 335. I don't need a Porsche 911 or a BMW 760i.

335 is perfect for me.
I'm very happy for you Krash. I too was in the same boat. Youngest out of seven didn't have my first apple till the age of 5. Made fun off by spoiled kids growing up because my parents could only afford payless brand growing up. I'm also very blessed and thankful to have what I have now.

I actually got teary eyed when I pulled up to my driveway after my purchase, to get out to see my 5 yr old son, 6 yr old daughter, beautiful wife, nice house and a bimmer on the driveway. I said to my self... I can die happy knowing that I did well and made my family proud. But then it came to me..... 34 yrs old is a little too early to die.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
I hope with all the inspiring personal stories of the F30 drivers, the OP can finally understand, as much as he does not care for the look at the front, the beautiful people sitting behind that not so beautiful front, will more than make up for it.
If you don't like rich people, don't drive status symbols.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Appologies to Martin Mull

BMW Executive Blues:

Woke up this afternoon, both my BMWs were gone.
I got so go god damn mad, I threw my drink across the lawn...
Looked at my Rolex
It was gettin' late.
I knew my my no good kid had taken my 328.
Went to the pool house and found a note from my wife
It said "You rotten S.O.B, you've ruined my life"
"I've got the 750i and I am leaving you"
"I'm heading to Las Vegas and your girlfriends going too"

This is the first verse to a classic blues song which was written by wealthy white businessman/blues singer Blind Lemon Pledge.

I posted it because I felt it so eloquently expressed my experience as a BMW owner.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-12-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If you don't like rich people, don't drive status symbols.

BJ
I can't say I don't like rich people, although from what I have read so far, you clearly have some issues with people who you perceived to be richer than you, and of course whose who you perceived to be poorer than you also.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BMW Blues:

I got so go god damn mad, I threw my drink across the lawn...
Looked at my Rolex
It was gettin' late.
I knew my my no good kid had taken my 328.
Went to the pool house and found a note from my wife
It said "You no good bum, get out of my life"
"I've got the 750i and I am leaving you"
"I'm heading to Las Vegas and your girlfriends going too"

This is the first verse to a classic blues song which was written by wealthy white businessman/blues singer Blind Lemon Pledge.

I posted it because I felt it so eloquently expressed my experience as a BMW owner.

CA
Two corrections, first, BJ does not have a 750i, second, his kid can't drive yet.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Two corrections, first, BJ does not have a 750i, second, his kid can't drive yet.
I was talking about ME. Let BJ write his own damn song.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I was talking about ME. Let BJ write his own damn song.

CA
I wasn't hanging out with you Captain, I was hanging with Blind Lemon Pledge.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
Fact is, there are executives on this forum that drive the 3 Series, and a lot of their executive friends drive a 3 series or similar priced car too.

Not every executive drives around in a BMW 760i. Plus, at that point, you're really talking about CEO level executives anyway. Either that, or some single guy that doesn't have any wife or kids (I actually know someone in that category).

The stereotype that sr execs all drive around in a 7 series or atleast a 5 series just isn't true.
No that's true, but it doesn't mean they're driving a 3 series either or any other variation of a compact luxury sedan.

I'm a senior analyst and I drive a 335. My director drives a Subaru. My VP drives a Toyota, and the SVP has an E92 328xi stripper. There are 2 other 335s in our parking lot, and only one is a manager. In fact, most of our execs drive non luxury vehicles, minus the one with the Maserati. And finally, one of our developers rolls around in a GT-R. I do think the 3 can qualify as a executive car, I see it as a compact luxury sedan. However, I don't see a lot of execs driving it. Maybe some are, what i have seen it's usually younger people in their 30s-40s or older people (late 60s, 70s) in the 3 series.

Really, it doesn't matter anyway. Drive what you want. I bought a 3 series solely because its a fantastic vehicle, not because of my job title. Even so, My 335 is stepping stone to the next gen M3. because I really, really want one. and it's an M3. No further explanation should be needed.

Don't see a lot of 7s but when I do...Yeah, old white guy in a suit behind the wheel. Probably an exec.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 AM

I agree, there are more professionals who drive the 3 series than executives. Obviously calling it a "professional car" will drive BJ mad.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-12-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:36 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
It's funny. The front end, especially on the M Sport is what caused me to pull the trigger and leave Audi for BMW! I especially like the angle the BMW disc logo sits on the front end. I thought it was a very different and original look compared to a lot of other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
My apologies to the E90 fanboys, I never liked the car for a lot of reasons, including the looks. The F30 is an improvement in just about every aspect of the car. All iterations of the F30 look better than any E90, and the F30 M Sport FTW. "Different strokes for different folks."

Old 01-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
You have, indeed, and were gracious by immediately being the first to call it quits.

C'mon guys - do we have to sick Vern on you?
I'll be the second if that floats your boat. LOL
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 528, CTS
Real life:

F30 is a 20-30 year old's car. Out of the 140 kids in my medical school class alone, prob half drive a new 3 series or comparable The university parking lot is flooded with f30s these days. Strippers or not, an F30 is an F30 and the general public sees no difference between a baseline and a Luxury/Sport.

Not exactly a luxury CEO automobile...
Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
Real life:

F30 is a 20-30 year old's car. Out of the 140 kids in my medical school class alone, prob half drive a new 3 series or comparable The university parking lot is flooded with f30s these days. Strippers or not, an F30 is an F30 and the general public sees no difference between a baseline and a Luxury/Sport.

Hahaha... what?!? With all due respect I think You couldn't be farther from the truth. Look at this post:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=660435&page=9

111 users revealed their age. The average is 35.5 YO. The range of the poster's age was between 17 and 91 YO, which shows clearly the F30 is a great vehicle for any age driver.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Lined View Post
Real life:

WOW! You based all of this on the parking lot at your medical school? By the way, I seriously doubt that 70 of the 140 kids have an F30...Take a picture and prove it.

Of course the average consumer can't distinguish between a baseline and a luxury/sport, but why does that matter?

Contrary to what some people seem to think on the 'fest, the F30 is not a peasant car for the masses.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Hahaha... what?!? With all due respect I think You couldn't be farther from the truth. Look at this post:

111 users revealed their age. The average is 35.5 YO. The range of the poster's age was between 17 and 91 YO, which shows clearly the F30 is a great vehicle for any age driver.
With all due respect, you are wrong as well. That is just a poll taken on a BMW enthusiasts site, so it's showing you what the enthusiast population looks like for those who bothered to respond.

Per BMWs own data, the average age of a 3 Series owner is 48 years old. 50% of them are female, 60% of them lease.

Enthusiast websites and 25-year-olds parking lots don't count, they just create a false perception.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Per BMWs own data, the average age of a 3 Series owner is 48 years old. 50% of them are female, 60% of them lease.

Enthusiast websites and 25-year-olds parking lots don't count, they just create a false perception.

BJ
Very well! I was actually hoping the average would be outside 20-30 range. Makes me feel better because I'll be 38 in a few days.

Last edited by DavidM1975; 01-13-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:

Contrary to what some people seem to think on the 'fest, the F30 is not a peasant car for the masses.
It's hysterical really, what people think of this car and who is driving it.

The earliest versions of the E90 can be had on Craigslist for as low as $3000. So you have 17-year-olds with learners permits who just bought their car using their Bar Mitzvah money thinking a 3 Series ain't so special.

Then you have people who took the $299 lease special on the last of the E90's who think this is an entry-level car.

Then you have people who buy an absolutely stripped $36,000 F30 who think this is only a few bucks more a month than an Accord.

Then you have people or in over their heads who can't afford $349 a month telling the world they own a status-symbol.

And then you have people who own a $50,000 F30 who realize that fully loaded it's a great sporty luxury car.

Then you have people in Manhattan making $300,000 a year who view a fully loaded F30 as a practical, common car, the way that others would view a Toyota Camry.

And you have people making $90,000 a year in Iowa who view this as a very expensive luxury indulgence.

You can't generalize the BMW 3 Series as one specific thing because it all depends on your point of view, where you live, and it all depends on the age of the car and how much you spent on it to begin with.

BJ

Old 01-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswatchco View Post
It's funny. The front end, especially on the M Sport is what caused me to pull the trigger and leave Audi for BMW! I especially like the angle the BMW disc logo sits on the front end. I thought it was a very different and original look compared to a lot of other cars.
Has your car come in yet???? If not, you must be agonizing!!!! I'm looking forward to your report and photos.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 01-13-2013, 01:37 PM

That's a pretty good analysis, BJ. You nailed it - a lot depends on where you stand. What you just wrote is a good material for another thread already.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Very well! I was actually hoping the average would be outside 20-30 range. Makes me feel better because I'll be 38 in a few days.
Young, wealthy people like to drive BMWs.

Young, wealthy people know a lot about the internet and wind up on discussion forums.

Young, wealthy people tend to buy stripped versions of the 3 Series and so they think everyone else does the same thing.

What we need to recognize is that this is an enthusiasts website for people who drive BMWs in a certain fashion. The other 99% of the 3 Series population looks like a 50-year-old middle manager who needs to look good in the corporate parking lot and his wife who needs to keep up with her best friends at the nail salon.

If you look at this site, you think everyone is a programmer in their 30s driving an Estoril Blue 335i M-Sport. Out in the real world, you have a bunch of 50 and 60-year-olds driving 328i's in base trim.

There isn't a discussion forum for non-enthusiast BMW types to discuss their cars. Bimmerfest is certainly the most welcoming for that crowd, but never forget that this site and it's posters are not representative of real world ownership population.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
There was a post a while back with the exact demographics of the average BMW consumer. It included age, salary, and education.

I thought it was 49 years old, $168,000 per year annual salary, and a 4 year college degree.

I don't remember if this was specific to the 3 Series or BMWs in general, but since the 3 series accounts for a huge % of their sales, you probably can take some liberties with the data and draw some conclusions there.

The one thing that drives me crazy is when people make ridiculous claims like, "I saw a parking lot, and because of this, mostly 25 year olds drive the F30." Seriously, how stupid is that? No science to back it up, no statistical relavance whatsoever...
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
If you look at this site, you think everyone is a programmer in their 30s driving an Estoril Blue 335i M-Sport. Out in the real world, you have a bunch of 50 and 60-year-olds driving 328i's in base trim.

BJ
100% absolutely true.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
Quote:
I think it also depends where you live. In NYC, I see a lot of new 3s being driven by the 20-30 crowd. A fresh business school grad can probably pull $150K at a Wall St. firm so $400 pm for a new car is not much to them.

I also see a lot of blinged out older 3s being driven by kids in Brooklyn/Queens and new 3s being driven by older folk in the nicer NJ/CT towns.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynycbimmer View Post
I think it also depends where you live. In NYC, I see a lot of new 3s being driven by the 20-30 crowd. A fresh business school grad can probably pull $150K at a Wall St. firm so $400 pm for a new car is not much to them.

I also see a lot of blinged out older 3s being driven by kids in Brooklyn/Queens and new 3s being driven by older folk in the nicer NJ/CT towns.
I'm surprised anyone in NYC would say this. Between taxes, rent, debt, and parking there are almost no fresh MBA grads aka first yr associates who are driving nice cars or any cars for that matter. Not to mention a first year associate's work-life balance (or lack thereof) leaves no time to enjoy a car anyway.

In reality, when you see a car being driven in manhattan you have no idea where the driver or the owner (not necessarily the same person) actually lives
Old 01-13-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985mb View Post
I'm surprised anyone in NYC would say this. Between taxes, rent, debt, and parking there are almost no fresh MBA grads aka first yr associates who are driving nice cars or any cars for that matter. Not to mention a first year associate's work-life balance (or lack thereof) leaves no time to enjoy a car anyway.

In reality, when you see a car being driven in manhattan you have no idea where the driver or the owner (not necessarily the same person) actually lives

Yep, again, people drawing conclusions because they saw someone drive a car somewhere...

No science behind it at all...

EDIT: But in NYC, I think it's fair to conclude that a lot of young Wall St Brokers / Analysts drive around in a 3.

Last edited by krash; 01-13-2013 at 03:10 PM.