Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328i Coupe
2006 - ZF Trans - Mechtronic Sleeve leak

Hello there,

I know there is at least one other thread on this topic but I was wondering if anyone had changed the Mechtronic sleeve without dropping the trans pan. Mine has the plastic pan with the built in filter. It's a 328i Coupe with the sport package. I'd love to just change the sleeve and top off the fluid for now if that's possible. I've seen hints that it might somehow not be accessible without removing the pan.

BTW, I'm in ATL. European Motor Cars wants $864 to do the pan drop / change and replace the sleeve.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_nolesfan View Post
Hello there,

I know there is at least one other thread on this topic but I was wondering if anyone had changed the Mechtronic sleeve without dropping the trans pan. Mine has the plastic pan with the built in filter. It's a 328i Coupe with the sport package. I'd love to just change the sleeve and top off the fluid for now if that's possible. I've seen hints that it might somehow not be accessible without removing the pan.

BTW, I'm in ATL. European Motor Cars wants $864 to do the pan drop / change and replace the sleeve.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Tut, tut, tut.

Read all about.

Also, I'm hearing about this Youtube thing site, whatever that is.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Tut, tut, tut.

Read all about.

Also, I'm hearing about this Youtube thing site, whatever that is.
Aren't you done with those childish smart-ass replies? Idiot.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:51 PM

So I deduce that I can change the sleeve without dropping the pan. Anyone want to weigh in on using Shell, Mercon, Castrol, or OEM to top the fluid off?
Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
I don't understand the reluctance to drop the pan. It is not that hard and if you use an inch pound torque wrench not hard to reinstall correctly. Gasket is reuseable as well. You will have one hell of a time doing this job without dropping the pan. All you need is a Habor Frieght 5 buck hand pump to refill the trans until it weeps out the fill hole, start the car and once up to between 80-120F fill until it weeps out, put the plug in and you are done.
Not sure if yours takes Lifeguard 5 or 6 but both are easily available as you will loose some when you drain and drop the pan.
Esso LT 71141 and Pentosin AFT1 work for LG5 and LG6 either use LG6 or Mercon SP for fill replacements...
Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Aren't you done with those childish smart-ass replies? Idiot.

Well, hello Saint. You seemed be away awhile....back strong now?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:35 PM

I realize it's a BMW but there are two reasons I don't want to drop the pan. First. it's a lot more expensive and while I own a Bimmer, the timing sucks for my finances. Second, I've heard horror stories about trannys failing 2k miles after fluid changes. If I minimize the amount of fluid change, maybe I avoid a failure?

Since the filter is built into the pan, wouldn't it be crazy to try and reuse the pan?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by j_nolesfan; 01-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM

I've seen much debate about which fluid to use, Mercon SP, Castrol IMV, ZF, etc. I noticed that Valvoline IMV also meets the Shell M-1375.4 spec.

From the spec sheet: "BMW LT 71141, ETL-7045E and M-1375.4 applications"

Found Here
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM
BMWCCA 149159

What fluid you use is up to you but the reason I can recommend the fluids above is that it came from ZF the manufacturer of your transmission not repeat not a provider of ATF that says it is OK. Let me ask this if your transmission fails who do you blame?
Dropping the pan and refilling it with the saved fluid is not a good idea if your transmission has 50K miles or more.

I have never heard of any transmission failure from dropping the pan and refilling to the correct level with the RIGHT ATF. I have heard of and experienced transmission failure from flushing a transmission not from refilling one.

Unless you have over 120K miles on your transmission there is no need to replace the pan/ filter.
You are not saving any time or money trying to leave the pan in place.

Risking a transmission because you are trying to use an ATF that the manufacturer states is compatable isn't for me.

All of this assumes you have the GA6HP19Z (ZF) not the GA6L45 (GM) transmission..
Old 01-13-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Buy the extra fluid from the dealer. Get a new 5 gallon bucket from your local hardware store and hit the BMW parts counter. You may overpay slightly but save your $7k transmission in the process.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Hello there,

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
You are confusing. Is that for a 2006 or your 328i 2007? If the latter, it should be a GM unit, although those problems are common on the ZF.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Hello there,

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Are you wanting to DIY or looking for a credible tech / second opinion?

I like these guys .... they have kept our 2002 330i alive since the dealer faded in the rearview mirror .....

http://www.munichmotorsport.com

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

fun2drive,

Thanks for your time and advice. I can agree with all points. The only issue is, my filter and pan on the HP6 ZF transmission is one unit. I'd be worried about disturbing debris in the filter or pan unless it was easy enough to clean both. I'm at 81k miles and any fluid I remove will be replaced with new fluid, definitely not reclaimed fluid.

If the pan doesn't impede the access to the sleeve, I would think I could merely top the fluid off after replacing the sleeve and avoid the pan drop. I'm going to confirm that tomorrow night, if I can make time to jack it up and take a closer look.

With that said, the way In reading your statement about recommended fluids, it appears that Mercon SP is the one you're recommend for topping off the existing fluid? Would you say the same for Pentosin ATF1?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
fun2drive,

Thanks for your time and advice. I can agree with all points. The only issue is, my filter and pan on the HP6 ZF transmission is one unit. I'd be worried about disturbing debris in the filter or pan unless it was easy enough to clean both. I'm at 81k miles and any fluid I remove will be replaced with new fluid, definitely not reclaimed fluid.

If the pan doesn't impede the access to the sleeve, I would think I could merely top the fluid off after replacing the sleeve and avoid the pan drop. I'm going to confirm that tomorrow night, if I can make time to jack it up and take a closer look.

With that said, the way In reading your statement about recommended fluids, it appears that Mercon SP is the one you're recommend for topping off the existing fluid? Would you say the same for Pentosin ATF1?

Ya gotta drop the pan - BMW note, procedure. Note where is says drain & save the fluid.

Filter service routine.

Hey, just be patient & move it along - not a tough job. Don't forget the new pan gasket!!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 01-13-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 AM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Agree with Cal again - must be something in the air - just be sure to wear throwaways or clothes you will be using for DYI down the road. You get trans fluid in them it will not come out.

BMW notes "Up to 1 liter of Shell M-1375.4 transmission fluid can be claimed for topping up the transmission fluid level."

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 01-14-2013, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Agree with Cal again - must be something in the air - just be sure to wear throwaways or clothes you will be using for DYI down the road. You get trans fluid in them it will not come out.

BMW notes "Up to 1 liter of Shell M-1375.4 transmission fluid can be claimed for topping up the transmission fluid level."

Numbness. It's cold out there!

Also, my New Year's Resolution: Be right sometimes.

Name:  Blindfolded.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  3.4 KB
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 AM
BMWCCA 149159

If you have the 6spd ZF transmission I can't recommend Pentosin ATF1 or ESSO now Mobil LT71141 because those are for 5 spd ZF transmissions. What is the difference? I don't know I would have to send samples to Blackstone as I did with Mercon SP and see how similar they are. Yes Mercon SP is the same as LifeGuard 6 with two exceptions, color and smell. The Blackstone analysis stated that they could have come from the same batch of ATF since there was no difference (except what I stated above) in the samples. Mercon SP is 5.99 from O'Reilys a quart. LG6 best price I know from this supplier is
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=184&parent=0

If you have any doubts about ATF just read their opinion on using something other than what ZF recommends. It is in bold orange right in the middle of their web page.

I agree with the above posters and I have done this job myself, you will spill some ATF maybe a pint so it helps to have plastic under the area to catch what will spill. Regarding the integral pan and filter. You always clean the magnets and wipe the pan clean before installing on any transmission. The debris that falls into the pan and I suppose the filter is both clutch material and steel particales which is all normal and can ruin your transmission if it gets stuck in check balls. That isn't going to happen when you drain-drop-refill vs flush.

This isn't a terrible job and it serves a dual purpose of changing a good deal of ATF and fixing that rubber sleeve. I would suggest and drain and refill again in 30K miles and every 30K miles after since ATF if you use Mercon SP is not expensive and that will keep your transmission happy...

Last edited by fun2drive; 01-14-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanks again to all who posted.

I've ordered the replacement sealing sleeve. I'm tempted to top off the fluid in the next day or two even before the sleeve comes in just because I'm paranoid since I don't know how much has leaked out and I expect that the car won't go into some sort of safe mode due to low fluid in time to be able to save part damage, anyone? This will also give me an idea of how crucial the pan drop is to getting at the sleeve.

Oreilly doesn't have the Motorcraft Mercon SP fluid around here so I'm going to the local Ford dealer who has it for $7/qt. I've heard ranges of one to six quarts on different pan drops.

When the part comes in, I'll probably do the fluid replacement and keep the pan for now. I'll post back when there's something else to report.

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM

Oh, another piece of handy advice that I hadn't seen to this point. Since the pan is plastic, let the temps cool to near room temperature or the pan can warp if you take it off while hot. I suppose that's common sense but when looking at the all of the steps related to the job, that little point could get missed. Also, I now understand that the lock for the Mechtronic sleeve is located inside the transmission above the pan. I was reading that as if the lock was outside the transmission. A real "eureka" moment. "Hey, I'm not dumb, I'm just slow..." LOL!

Thanks again,

Jeff

Last edited by j_nolesfan; 01-14-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Could try BIMRS.ORG. There's a shop or 2 off Howell Mill and 75

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App
Old 01-14-2013, 01:18 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Numbness. It's cold out there!

Also, my New Year's Resolution: Be right sometimes.

Attachment 357624
70 & drizzly today.

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Question Getting started - big question.

So, I've got the car jacked up and I've removed all of the plastic shields. It is extremely tight around the mechatronic wiring entry point into the transmission. It would be immensely helpful if I could remove the rear cross member from the transmission without providing some additional support. In other words, will the fact that it's mounted to the motor and to the drive shaft be enough to hold the transmission in place while I work?

I can post a pic if needed but it's the aluminum cross member under the back (rear) of the transmission.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Oh no, slippage?

Ok, I did it without removing the cross member. I do have one curious question though. Mercon SP, I expected it to be red but it stinks like gear oil. The stuff that was in there didn't seem to stink like that. Does the smell dissipate over time?

Thanks again,

Jeff
Old 01-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Yeah, just went for a test drive. The timing on the shifts make it feel like I'm clutching and changing a manual shift. I don't know if I'd call it a slip or a hesitation. I'm suspecting the Mercon SP fluid.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
So, everyone keeps giving you information on the transmission fluid for the ZF transmission, and you keep referring to it as well.

However, doesn't the 2007 328i use a GM 6L45 (6L50?) transmission, which would seem to imply Dexron VI transmission fluid instead of Mercon SP? Aren't the viscosity specifications for the two different?

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 01-19-2013 at 03:47 PM.