Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
Got CAFDs doom loaded but how to find things to edit?

Thanks to April1's great cable and software kit I got hooked up to my 2013 550i and saved the CAFDS files, worked great. What I am struggling with is identifying the folders to open for changing things shown in the cheat sheet.

Any help in this would be really appreciated!

Regards,
Don M

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
Thanks to April1's great cable and software kit I got hooked up to my 2013 550i and saved the CAFDS files, worked great. What I am struggling with is identifying the folders to open for changing things shown in the cheat sheet.

Any help in this would be really appreciated!

Regards,
Don M
Folders?

You connect to your car, read its configuration, go to the module you want, read its coding data, edit it, and write it back to the module.

Have you read this guide?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...4&d=1338725691

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 01-08-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: f30 318d
When you read the car svt all the modules will be there in both ECU name (folder) and filename.
Save that report and use it as reference. Soon you will simply remember the filenames associated to the modules you code most.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhan1103 View Post
When you read the car svt all the modules will be there in both ECU name (folder) and filename.
Save that report and use it as reference. Soon you will simply remember the filenames associated to the modules you code most.
Ahh..I understand what he meant now...Folder = Control Unit = Module = ECU...

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM

I'm starting to catch on to the structure. Did find the place to set the nav to indicate in which direction Mecca lies. Quite interesting but not unexpected, really.

Thanks for the lead and sorry to be so dense!

Old 01-10-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
I'm starting to catch on to the structure. Did find the place to set the nav to indicate in which direction Mecca lies. Quite interesting but not unexpected, really.

Thanks for the lead and sorry to be so dense!
No one called you dense mate
How does that mecca indicator work btw? I've seen it in the code, but never activated it.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Hi,
Next question now that I have edited the CAFD files and saved them while not connected to the car (I'm now at step 18 of the Getting Started Coding PDF) do I need to be connected to the car to move to step 19? I have changed to the Expert View screen and selected the coding button in the left pane. The only vehicle order available to load is in the FA folder and is a sample.

Thanks for the ongoing help!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Hi,
Next question now that I have edited the CAFD files and saved them while not connected to the car (I'm now at step 18 of the Getting Started Coding PDF) do I need to be connected to the car to move to step 19? I have changed to the Expert View screen and selected the coding button in the left pane. The only vehicle order available to load is in the FA folder and is a sample.

Thanks for the ongoing help!
I don't understand this. You could not have gotten through step 18 without already being connected to the car.

Anyway, you do not Load a FA (VO). On step 9, you read your VO from the car. In step 19, all you do is Right-Click where it says FA, and select Activate to activate your car's VO.

Once your VO is activated, then you can go to any CAFD you edited, select it, and then hit the Code FDL button, and that will write your changes back to the ECU.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 01-12-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM

So...when I saved the CAFD files and disconnected from the car, I should only be able to view the settings? I have noticed that if I edit the active not-active and wert values, even though I save it, when I close e-sys and reopen the app the changes are not saved. Somewhere I thought I read that the saved files could be edited while disconnected, saved and then reconnect to send the code changes. Now I'm realizing all of the recoding is done in one live session?
It was good to be able to locate and practice the editing, it's cold in the garage! Well, not today, but usually.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 AM

Are your ncd files set to 'read-only' maybe? I have no problems doing the offline coding like that.

1. Save the files somewhere on your disk.
2. Edit as desired and save
3. Connect to car activate FA, read svt etc
4. Right click ecu folder and select 'new'
5. Browse to the correct file and it's uploaded.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I don't understand this. You could not have gotten through step 18 without already being connected to the car.

Anyway, you do not Load a FA (VO). On step 9, you read your VO from the car. In step 19, all you do is Right-Click where it says FA, and select Activate to activate your car's VO.

Once your VO is activated, then you can go to any CAFD you edited, select it, and then hit the Code FDL button, and that will write your changes back to the ECU.
I followed April1's directions as well as the screen shots and the Getting Started :Coding guide and made a first time backup of the CAFD files then used the supplied utility to copy them to a separate folder on the laptop and a thumb drive for safekeeping. Next I started looking for the things to edit. That is where I got bogged down in finding the files to open for editing in my first post. Now I am attempting to edit the settings and open them (step 19) but while not connected to the car but maybe this is not possible in my case?

Re: screen shot on step 19 -( not connected to car)I have nothing in the section named Vehicle Order. If I select load, only the file FaListSample Is found. Through the SVT Actual Load button I find a folder named SVT but it is empty.

Perhaps I need to go back to square one and re-read the VCM again.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I followed April1's directions as well as the screen shots and the Getting Started :Coding guide and made a first time backup of the CAFD files then used the supplied utility to copy them to a separate folder on the laptop and a thumb drive for safekeeping. Next I started looking for the things to edit. That is where I got bogged down in finding the files to open for editing in my first post. Now I am attempting to edit the settings and open them (step 19) but while not connected to the car but maybe this is not possible in my case?

Re: screen shot on step 19 -( not connected to car)I have nothing in the section named Vehicle Order. If I select load, only the file FaListSample Is found. Through the SVT Actual Load button I find a folder named SVT but it is empty.

Perhaps I need to go back to square one and re-read the VCM again.
Yes.

Select CONNECT => READ FA (VO) => ACTIVATE FA => READ VCM (SVT).

Select ECU => Read CODING data => Select CAFD in Subfolder => EDIT

Make desired coding changes => Hit SAVE Icon => Hit BACK Button => Select same CAFD => Hit Code FDL Button.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 01-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:01 PM

Happy dance time!!!!

Thanks to the help here my right and left brains had a meeting in the mind and I got the coding instructions worked out!

Thanks 'specially to shawnsheridan for the succinct instruction!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
One more coder is born now. Hurray!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 PM

YES! Small steps but I coded the iDrive and camers disclaimer away and added the TPM that displays pressure and temperature.

Can't wait to set the windows and roof to close from the fob.

Thanks for taking on the manufacture of the coding kit, April1!

Regards to all,

Don M