Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: Working on it
X3 35i vs xc60 R-Design. Please help me decide?!

Hi everyone. First post to this forum.

My wife and I are seriously considering an X3 35i M Sport but I'm leaning ever so slightly toward the XC60 R-Design we drove yesterday. What are the awesome little features you think I should know about the X3 that'll help me tip the scales back?

I really appreciate your help!
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I have to say that BMW sucks at little things compare to other luxury brands. Well, I like that I can open the windows and moonroof using my remote key. Can you share what things of the xc60 impress you?

Last edited by edbiology; 01-14-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:14 AM

First and foremost, the XC60 exterior style has more of a cool factor while the X3 is a bit more reserved. I was impressed by the performance of the Haldex AWD (during the 20 minute test drive), and it seems the vehicle is very programmable and can be tailored to fit like a glove. Things that concern me slightly are the navi (cumbersome) and the interior finishes aren't particularly interesting. Fuel consumption isn't great either.

While the X3 style is more conservative, it's not a deal-breaker. The interior is very slick, the seats in the M Sport are amazing and the overall power is great.

I didn't experience the XDrive to any real degree and while I have zero plans to take this offroad, I want to know how it performs on dirt roads and in slippery weather. What about the audio? That's important to me. And iDrive? People seem 50/50 on that.

Anything else I should know or think about?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Chris the XC60T6 was runner-up on my X3 purchase.

I drove both cars several times and always gravitated to the BMW's better (in my opinion) driving dynamics. I also liked the idea of a 8spd automatic in the BMW as opposed to the Volvo's 6spd.

The seats in the Volvo fit me like a glove but the waterfall dash made the interior feel claustrophobic. The BMW felt more spacious especially the rear seats.

The R-design came with the Polestar tuned 325hp engine but to be honest in did not pull as strong as the bimmer's 300hp.

I still prefer the exterior styling of the XC60 but I bought my car because I like to be behind the driver's wheel where I can't see the somewhat ugly lines of my X3.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM

Thank you. All very good points.

One thing I did leave out of this thread were details related to terrible service from the local Volvo dealership. It was cleared up but only after a complaint to the head office. The vehicle might be solid but after purchase support could be an issue.

Anyone have details on routine maintenance costs beyond the four years, 80k? I can't seem to find a definitive answer.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Chris -- all BMW dealers are not stars either so that might not be a fair comparo to make. You will (probably) find more BMW stores around than Volvo outlets though -- at least that is the case down here. Both my daughters have Volvos, an XC70 and XC90. Both have been remarkably trouble free and are very solid. Son in law has a 5 series and lately it has become a money pit. My X3 is approaching 90K and shows all the signs of following the 5er into money pit land. My personal opinion is "it depends on the individual car you get" -- some are problematic from the get go -- others not so much. All of them do need work as they age and pass the warranty period. If you get one, get the extended warranty -- I didn't and I regret it. I would go with the Volvo.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. An extended warranty is probably worth a second look. I'm not interested in having my wallet become life support for any vehicle.

As an aside, I currently drive an '09 VW Rabbit and I'm continually blown away by the cost for routine dealership maintenance (it's a lease so not much flexibility). $145 for an oil change and fluid top up is insane for this type of car. I know BMW is a whole other class of vehicle but as far as I'm told, maintenance is reasonable. I've got more research to do.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisT.O.pher View Post
..... I was impressed by the performance of the Haldex AWD ..... I didn't experience the XDrive to any real degree

..... What about the audio? That's important to me. And iDrive? .....

Anything else I should know or think about?
I'm curious by what you mean when you say you were impressed by the Volvo's AWD but did not experience BMW's AWD. Can you please elaborate?

I have not driven the Volvo, but we own a 2011 (F25) X3 35i and the AWD is transparent in normal driving. Our X3 drives like a tall, sporty sedan, not like an SUV.

Regarding the audio, we have the optional, upgraded audio system and really really like it. It is noticeably better and more enjoyable than the standard audio that came in our previous 2006 X3.

On the iDrive, I would not leave home without it. I like iDrive and find it very easy and intuitive to use.

Regarding anything else- we liked our previous 2006 X3 but the ride was on the stiff side and the 5 speed AT was reliable and trouble free, but the gearing was too widely spaced for the power band of it's engine. Our new X3 has a much better ride quality, a much more responsive drive train, and in my opinion handles better than our '06. The new X3 has dynamic handling, sport AT, and sport steering while the '06 had optional 18" wheels but did not have the sport package.

Bruce
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM

Thanks, Bruce.

To clarify my point about the Volvo and BMW AWD experiences, I really didn't have a chance to push the X3 in a way that demonstrated its capabilities. When I drove the XC60 however, I parked with the passenger side in sand/gravel and the driver's side on semi-wet pavement. Then, I put the accelerator through the floor and experienced almost no wheel spin. Within 20-30 yards, I was able to effortlessly merge onto pavement without having to let up and did so with full traction.

Admittedly, this isn't the best way to test either vehicle but when you're on city streets and you've got the sales guy in the back seat, you're bet to keep the lid on.

Maybe there's a better way?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Thanks, Bruce.

To clarify my point about the Volvo and BMW AWD experiences, I really didn't have a chance to push the X3 in a way that demonstrated its capabilities. When I drove the XC60 however, I parked with the passenger side in sand/gravel and the driver's side on semi-wet pavement. Then, I put the accelerator through the floor and experienced almost no wheel spin. Within 20-30 yards, I was able to effortlessly merge onto pavement without having to let up and did so with full traction.

Admittedly, this isn't the best way to test either vehicle but when you're on city streets and you've got the sales guy in the back seat, you're bet to keep the lid on.

During my test drive of the X3 and the Q5 both dealers actually had me pull over on sand/gravel and to the same test as you describe. The X3 and Q5 both performed great on this test as I'm sure the Volvo does as well. The more impressive test was when I picked up my X3 at the performance center. On their off road course I had an X3 balanced on just two wheels and was able to drive right through. I'd never do some of the things BMW does in the off road course in my own X3 but it did show me Xdrive is pretty good.

I liked the look of the Volvo as well, except from the back. Those supper long curvy tail lights just look hideous to me.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Money Matters: I think the F25 X3 will stand the test of time better than the XC90. Additionally, I believe resale value of the X3 will prove to be stronger as well. On paper the Volvo R Design boasts 325 hp vs. the "stated" 300 for the X3. Note to self the N55 in the 35i is underrated by the factory - that along with the 8speed transmission allows the X3 to pull harder "acceleration wise" than the XC 60 R Design.

The Volvo's seats are comfortable but why is it that in the year 2013 Volvo still has a "turn knob" for lumbar adjustment. Dynaaudio in the Volvo sounds really nice. I personally haven't driven the XC 60 but from what I have read/heard the X3 handles a bit better.

Depening on the options you choose the chassis/drivetrain is configurable in the X3 as well. Drive both, pick them both apart: interior, storage, design/style, performance, and make the decision that suits you best - good luck and have fun with the selection process
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
"why is it that in the year 2013 Volvo still has a "turn knob" for lumbar adjustment(?)"
-> I could ask the same question about manual tilt/telescoping steering wheel adjustment about the X3.

Last edited by noka; 01-14-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Funny. I wondered the same thing about the 99 cent lumbar knob and when I watched my wife adjust the steering wheel, I thought she'd have something to say about it. Maybe she was just being polite!

I've seen footage of people putting X3s through their paces. Maybe I can work something like that into the deal.

Thanks again for all the great advice!
Old 01-14-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Typically cars are driven primarily by one person so most controls (seats/steering wheel) are set it and forget it.

It is too bad you live North of the 48th. Our friends to the South get a free performance delivery centre delivery experience... as usually we don't get that option.

Quote:
Funny. I wondered the same thing about the 99 cent lumbar knob and when I watched my wife adjust the steering wheel, I thought she'd have something to say about it. Maybe she was just being polite!

I've seen footage of people putting X3s through their paces. Maybe I can work something like that into the deal.

Thanks again for all the great advice!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM

Anyone have any experiences with the lighter colour leather seats? I imagine they're no different from any other manufacturer but just thought I'd ask.

Also, I checked for local performance driving courses in Canada. The closest seems to be Mirabel, Quebec, which is far and the course itself isn't cheap.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: GTI
XC60 likes:
-front seats (awesome Swedish glove-like fit)
-front wheel drive biased mechanical Haldex AWD system (good on the wet and snow)
-warranty and maintenance coverage at 5 Years/60,000 Miles (in the USA)
-second row seats are high enough to support adult legs
-some parts still sourced/shared with Ford (keeps $$$ down)

XC60 dislikes:
-limited dealer network in my area
-limited loan vehicles at my local Volvo dealer
-ride seemed stiffer to me than the X3
-during spirited driving, the XC60 seemed to "heave" over on its sidewalls
-difficulty with the "on-center" feel of the steering
-gets worse fuel economy than the X3 (but, it also uses Regular...so cost should wash out, unless we head back up to $5/gallon)
-what is up with the shifter with the clear plastic? looks cheap...need to bring back the leather shifter from the 2012 model
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Anyone have any experiences with the lighter colour leather seats? I imagine they're no different from any other manufacturer but just thought I'd ask.

Also, I checked for local performance driving courses in Canada. The closest seems to be Mirabel, Quebec, which is far and the course itself isn't cheap.
I have the Oyster leather seats and I like the color a lot. I believe it is the lightest color offered in the X3. I was concerned they may be difficult to keep clean but that hasn't been a problem.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
Thanks, Bruce.

Thank you, I was curious.

That test was not offered to us and we never thought of it when we test drove the X3 last summer.

We did drive an X5 on the off road course at the Performance Center and that was quite an experience.

Bruce
Old 01-15-2013, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: E46-E92 M3s,997TT,997C4S
Go with X3...better handling/performance, better resale, and is not a bad looking medium size CUV
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Chris, one problem that has been reported with light colored seats is the blue denim dye transfer -- if you wear blue jeans. Apparently a new pair of jeans -- even if washed once or twice -- will/can transfer the indigo dye to your seat covers. Very hard to get off I am informed, but personally I have never experienced this myself. My jeans are all old, well washed, and my car seats are not that light (although in summer I wish they were). Just something to keep in mind.
Car-Fan, the F25 X3 is really a totally different vehicle than the XC90 which is a three rower -- more comparable to the X5. The XC60 and XC70 are really closer to the X3.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
My XC60 RD vs Q5 vs X3 comparison: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=47
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennk View Post
XC60 likes:
-front seats (awesome Swedish glove-like fit)
-front wheel drive biased mechanical Haldex AWD system (good on the wet and snow)
-warranty and maintenance coverage at 5 Years/60,000 Miles (in the USA)
-second row seats are high enough to support adult legs
-some parts still sourced/shared with Ford (keeps $$$ down)

XC60 dislikes:
-limited dealer network in my area
-limited loan vehicles at my local Volvo dealer
-ride seemed stiffer to me than the X3
-during spirited driving, the XC60 seemed to "heave" over on its sidewalls
-difficulty with the "on-center" feel of the steering
-gets worse fuel economy than the X3 (but, it also uses Regular...so cost should wash out, unless we head back up to $5/gallon)
-what is up with the shifter with the clear plastic? looks cheap...need to bring back the leather shifter from the 2012 model
You know Volvo changed their 5 year 60,000 mile warranty at the end of 2012. Maintenance is now only till 30,000. IIRC.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Chris, one problem that has been reported with light colored seats is the blue denim dye transfer -- if you wear blue jeans. Apparently a new pair of jeans -- even if washed once or twice -- will/can transfer the indigo dye to your seat covers. Very hard to get off I am informed, but personally I have never experienced this myself. My jeans are all old, well washed, and my car seats are not that light (although in summer I wish they were). Just something to keep in mind.
Car-Fan, the F25 X3 is really a totally different vehicle than the XC90 which is a three rower -- more comparable to the X5. The XC60 and XC70 are really closer to the X3.
I typed XC "90" in error. Very much aware of the differences between the models - that was a typo on my part. My inference was the XC60 vs. F25 X3
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Did you make a decision?

I was reading about Volvo Euro Delivery, which on the XC60 only saves about 4%, and is hard to negotiate unlike BMW ED. On the plus side, you can choose options a la carte, so you can get the stereo upgrade without a package, or heated seats etc. You still have to choose model level though, so if you want an R Design, you have to pick that option package, standard moonroof etc.

volvo ED also offers 2 airline tickets and 3-5 nights hotel room, for like $1000, it's not free.

2014 XC60s also get new options, like comfort/sport modes (dunno if it's throttle only or suspension), new sport seats, exterior refresh etc.

The X3 M Sport comes out to $53k, about $5k more than the Volvo, not too bad, but unfortunately I don't like the styling.

Last edited by Chris90; 03-24-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Correction. Volvo ED gets two flights free. The extra nights are for special travel deals that cost more. Similar to MB's tours.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle