Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Kidney Grill Removal & Replacement

After some time now, I've had some rattle and found a few tabs on my front kidney grills broken causing a small vibration and movement. I have been wanting to change these for sometime now.
I removed and installed my grills today. (An EASY 30 minute job if that) the tabs were very brittle on the old ones and were easily broken from the slightest pressure. Pay close attention to detail when installing the new kidney grills, they are plastic and can easily be broken to.

I ordered my front set for my 2004 X5 3.0i, and just received my parts yesterday.
The Part listed is for a "04" model and differs from previous models so make sure you check for your particular model.

You can find your part number by going here: www.realoem.com and typing in the last 7 numbers of your Vin.

Once you have done this, simply click "browse parts", and a parts menu will appear, On the left click on "Vehicle Trim" and the box to the right will change, then click"Exterior Trim".
Your part picture should show as a "Part" break down picture. Click on the picture and it will give you a close up view with a parts & price list. (Price listing isn't current or actual dealer pricing) FYI. However I found a Foreign auto parts store in which the pricing is very close.

*It's obvious the OEM listing has much more to it and can be a valuable tool.

Since it's really easy to break off any of the 6 existing plastic tabs. Here is a DIY helpful video to replace your own.

CHEERS and Good Luck!

Mud~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-10-20 at 10.51.50 AM.png
Views:	108
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	346575  
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Question

Great post
I have a 2012 x5 Msport
Will this be the same install for the kidney grills
seems like the clips r a bit different, maybe even 2 diff kinds?
any advice on how to remove!
Thanks in advance
rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps

Last edited by 5seriesHB; 01-11-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0i
Hi Rob,

There will be different Grille sizes and I'm sure different clip designs, however I can only assume that the technique would be very similar.
I've searched your model, but there is very little information out there.

You could post pics of behind and of the front of the Grille and I could possibly assist as needed. But use CAUTION, the grille is plastic and the "tabs" are very easily broken if your not giving close care to install.
I had to scrap one grille because I slightly pushed in to seat it and "Snap".

FYI: Harbor Freight carries the teflon/plastic coated tools similar to what is in the DIY video.

Mud~

Last edited by Mudnyrey; 01-14-2013 at 10:14 AM.