Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM
gagobeats gagobeats is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: BMW X5
Red face Snow Chains or Cable for X5 M Sport Package

hi guys.... first post on this site, hoping you can all help me out here.

live in Los Angeles here, planning on going up to Lake Arrowhead (for those familiar with CA), this will be during February, so not really sure if it will be snowing or what kind of temperatures we'll be having given the erratic nature of So Cal winters

I have the 2012 X5 Sport Activity 35 with M Package

wanted to know if the Bridgestone Dueler H/P tires would be OK to drive in these conditions, or what chains/cable would be best to use?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM
abbott abbott is offline
Registered User
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 26
Mein Auto: 11' 35D
Not sure about the tires, but do opt for cables/cords if needed. Chains can damage your wheel and/or vehicle. Imagine one breaking off...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM
gagobeats gagobeats is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: BMW X5
thanks Abbott....will be talking to my service guy at the local BMW dealership and keep you guys posted, I am sure there are others like me in California wondering same thing.... gets below 70 degrees and we are freezing! now imagine driving in the snow!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Welcome aboard Sir
General rule....No pictures = No posts
Well let it slide this time, in the mean time get us some pics!
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM
gagobeats gagobeats is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: BMW X5
thanks for the heads up about the pics....how do i do that?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM
gagobeats gagobeats is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: BMW X5
ok i think i got it....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,703
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The Bridgestone Dueler H/P are Summer tires and not recommended for the snow or ice.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Dirtbag Dirtbag is offline
Registered User
Location: Montana
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
I have lived in Montana most of my life, and driven in the winter for approx. 57 yrs. I abhor tire chains, if I would have ever put them on, it would be in an extreme emergency and they would come off directly after getting myself out of that situation. I would suggest you rent a vehicle suitable for that area either when you get there or when you leave your area. In my mind fulltime AWD is best although there are other opinions out there. If this is something you may do each year, you may want to invest in dedicated winter tires and wheels. JMO
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
gagobeats gagobeats is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: BMW X5
yeah that's what I was thinking....definitely not a winter person here, so this will probably be a one off, so may end up renting another car for the trip, i did speak to the dealership and this was his response to me earlier this morning .... "The tires should be good for the snow unless it is really heavy snow"

so looks like it will be a game time decision for me on this one

thanks for taking the time to answer my question
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
I had SCC previously on the 750Li as they make excellent chains for low-profile tires. I do have other more detailed threads on the specific chains for the X5d but I think that may be on another forum so I'd say that there are two or three types that are suppose to work on the X5d but different sites make different claims so buyer beware.

The other Jay
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-14-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
ard ard is offline
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,159
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagobeats View Post
yeah that's what I was thinking....definitely not a winter person here, so this will probably be a one off, so may end up renting another car for the trip, i did speak to the dealership and this was his response to me earlier this morning .... "The tires should be good for the snow unless it is really heavy snow"

so looks like it will be a game time decision for me on this one

thanks for taking the time to answer my question

This is bad, potentially legally culpable, advice from the dealer. of course it is a verbal right? Ask them to put it in writing....they wont. If they do, send a copy to your family estate attorney.

The rubber compound in your tires will be hard as a rock- traction will be reduced DRAMATICALLY. With or without chains/cables, you will be at risk. There are actually stories about how dangerous summmer rubber compounds in winter cold, wet, etc (not 6 inches of snow, jsut cold) can be. Read the specs on tirerack- simply driving in rain at "near freezing temps" is dangerous.

Do the real reseach- dont listen to people here, who generally arent well informed. (Only one person mentioned this...)

A
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
1naztyx5's Avatar
1naztyx5 1naztyx5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lansdale,PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 464
Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
This is bad, potentially legally culpable, advice from the dealer. of course it is a verbal right? Ask them to put it in writing....they wont. If they do, send a copy to your family estate attorney.

The rubber compound in your tires will be hard as a rock- traction will be reduced DRAMATICALLY. With or without chains/cables, you will be at risk. There are actually stories about how dangerous summmer rubber compounds in winter cold, wet, etc (not 6 inches of snow, jsut cold) can be. Read the specs on tirerack- simply driving in rain at "near freezing temps" is dangerous.

Do the real reseach- dont listen to people here, who generally arent well informed. (Only one person mentioned this...)

A
+1 when I moved to PA from FL I also had the Bridgestones on,and the first little storm we had let me tell you...it was a scary experience! No grip what so ever coming to a stop while doing 25MPH was almost impossible.
U are definitely better of renting a car the day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM
dkreidel's Avatar
dkreidel dkreidel is offline
Aviator
Location: OC CA + Bear Country Montana
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,745
Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
I have lived in Montana most of my life, and driven in the winter for approx. 57 yrs. I abhor tire chains, if I would have ever put them on, it would be in an extreme emergency and they would come off directly after getting myself out of that situation. I would suggest you rent a vehicle suitable for that area either when you get there or when you leave your area. In my mind fulltime AWD is best although there are other opinions out there. If this is something you may do each year, you may want to invest in dedicated winter tires and wheels. JMO
Exactly - my X5M now has a set of dedicated 19" 298M's with 255/50x19 Pirelli Winter rubber to get me around Flathead Lake and up the hill on 93 North of Polson this winter

I would have gone with a narrower and smaller diameter winter set-up but 19" is as small as one can go and clear the brakes on a X5M. Not ideal, but with AWD it will work. No chains!
__________________
'13 X5M - carbon black over black • BBS SV "it's our truck"
'13 X5 35i - alpine white over black • X5M wheels & tires "it's our car"
'12 650 vert - alpine white over cinnamon • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM
clinkinfo clinkinfo is offline
Registered User
Location: ny
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 85
Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagobeats View Post
yeah that's what I was thinking....definitely not a winter person here, so this will probably be a one off, so may end up renting another car for the trip, i did speak to the dealership and this was his response to me earlier this morning .... "The tires should be good for the snow unless it is really heavy snow"

so looks like it will be a game time decision for me on this one

thanks for taking the time to answer my question

This is not good advise. Summer tires in your width are not effective in snow, the rubber compound gets too hard in cold temperature and can't sustain traction (as others have said).

Honestly, your most economical option is probably to rent a different car if this is a one time trip. It's not worth the investment in winter tires in your size for just one trip. Have fun!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms