Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Red face Snow Chains or Cable for X5 M Sport Package

hi guys.... first post on this site, hoping you can all help me out here.

live in Los Angeles here, planning on going up to Lake Arrowhead (for those familiar with CA), this will be during February, so not really sure if it will be snowing or what kind of temperatures we'll be having given the erratic nature of So Cal winters

I have the 2012 X5 Sport Activity 35 with M Package

wanted to know if the Bridgestone Dueler H/P tires would be OK to drive in these conditions, or what chains/cable would be best to use?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2013, 08:57 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 35D
Not sure about the tires, but do opt for cables/cords if needed. Chains can damage your wheel and/or vehicle. Imagine one breaking off...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM

thanks Abbott....will be talking to my service guy at the local BMW dealership and keep you guys posted, I am sure there are others like me in California wondering same thing.... gets below 70 degrees and we are freezing! now imagine driving in the snow!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Welcome aboard Sir
General rule....No pictures = No posts
Well let it slide this time, in the mean time get us some pics!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 PM

thanks for the heads up about the pics....how do i do that?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 PM

ok i think i got it....
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
The Bridgestone Dueler H/P are Summer tires and not recommended for the snow or ice.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Duramax 09 BMW X5
I have lived in Montana most of my life, and driven in the winter for approx. 57 yrs. I abhor tire chains, if I would have ever put them on, it would be in an extreme emergency and they would come off directly after getting myself out of that situation. I would suggest you rent a vehicle suitable for that area either when you get there or when you leave your area. In my mind fulltime AWD is best although there are other opinions out there. If this is something you may do each year, you may want to invest in dedicated winter tires and wheels. JMO
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM

yeah that's what I was thinking....definitely not a winter person here, so this will probably be a one off, so may end up renting another car for the trip, i did speak to the dealership and this was his response to me earlier this morning .... "The tires should be good for the snow unless it is really heavy snow"

so looks like it will be a game time decision for me on this one

thanks for taking the time to answer my question
Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
I had SCC previously on the 750Li as they make excellent chains for low-profile tires. I do have other more detailed threads on the specific chains for the X5d but I think that may be on another forum so I'd say that there are two or three types that are suppose to work on the X5d but different sites make different claims so buyer beware.

The other Jay

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 01-14-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagobeats View Post
yeah that's what I was thinking....definitely not a winter person here, so this will probably be a one off, so may end up renting another car for the trip, i did speak to the dealership and this was his response to me earlier this morning .... "The tires should be good for the snow unless it is really heavy snow"

This is bad, potentially legally culpable, advice from the dealer. of course it is a verbal right? Ask them to put it in writing....they wont. If they do, send a copy to your family estate attorney.

The rubber compound in your tires will be hard as a rock- traction will be reduced DRAMATICALLY. With or without chains/cables, you will be at risk. There are actually stories about how dangerous summmer rubber compounds in winter cold, wet, etc (not 6 inches of snow, jsut cold) can be. Read the specs on tirerack- simply driving in rain at "near freezing temps" is dangerous.

Do the real reseach- dont listen to people here, who generally arent well informed. (Only one person mentioned this...)

A
Old 01-14-2013, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
This is bad, potentially legally culpable, advice from the dealer. of course it is a verbal right? Ask them to put it in writing....they wont. If they do, send a copy to your family estate attorney.

The rubber compound in your tires will be hard as a rock- traction will be reduced DRAMATICALLY. With or without chains/cables, you will be at risk. There are actually stories about how dangerous summmer rubber compounds in winter cold, wet, etc (not 6 inches of snow, jsut cold) can be. Read the specs on tirerack- simply driving in rain at "near freezing temps" is dangerous.

Do the real reseach- dont listen to people here, who generally arent well informed. (Only one person mentioned this...)

A
+1 when I moved to PA from FL I also had the Bridgestones on,and the first little storm we had let me tell you...it was a scary experience! No grip what so ever coming to a stop while doing 25MPH was almost impossible.
U are definitely better of renting a car the day.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
I have lived in Montana most of my life, and driven in the winter for approx. 57 yrs. I abhor tire chains, if I would have ever put them on, it would be in an extreme emergency and they would come off directly after getting myself out of that situation. I would suggest you rent a vehicle suitable for that area either when you get there or when you leave your area. In my mind fulltime AWD is best although there are other opinions out there. If this is something you may do each year, you may want to invest in dedicated winter tires and wheels. JMO
Exactly - my X5M now has a set of dedicated 19" 298M's with 255/50x19 Pirelli Winter rubber to get me around Flathead Lake and up the hill on 93 North of Polson this winter

I would have gone with a narrower and smaller diameter winter set-up but 19" is as small as one can go and clear the brakes on a X5M. Not ideal, but with AWD it will work. No chains!
'11 Z4 - mojave over beige • 6 speed manual • Münich delivery

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagobeats View Post

This is not good advise. Summer tires in your width are not effective in snow, the rubber compound gets too hard in cold temperature and can't sustain traction (as others have said).

Honestly, your most economical option is probably to rent a different car if this is a one time trip. It's not worth the investment in winter tires in your size for just one trip. Have fun!