Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Suspension Noise After Rain

I'm about to take my 09 328i into the shop for a scheduled oil change and am wondering if I should have them check the front-end as well.

Over the past year or so, I've noticed that after heavy rain, the front end gets noisy when you go over large bumps, such as speed bumps. It appears this was not the case previously. Only caveat is that I generally avoid speed bumps. However, now, I park in a parking garage that has them all over the place and this is when I first notices this.

After a lot of rain and driving in the rain, the front end will be noisy when going over the speed bumps at very low speeds as the struts compress. It's a squeaking type noise. The rear does not do this as it travels over the same bump. After a few days of dry this goes away.

Just a factor of water getting on parts or a sign of age/wear? Car has 52k miles and is about 4 years old.

Thanks for any input!

(Current plan is to replace all 4 corners with Koni FSD at around 75k miles, perhaps earlier. Hopefully it's not needed now. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
I have a very noticeable squeaking noise coming from my front suspension as well. Mine does it whenever it is cold (less than 30 degrees). I had the same thing about a year ago and after bringing it back to the dealer twice, they replaced the front bushings. Noise went away completely for the rest of the winter. Exact same noise started a few weeks ago.

It is annoying and I plan to bring it up again when the car goes in next month. I don't think it's serious, just bothersome.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
Here comes trouble!

Interesting observation, mossman. The "cold" weather in Texas does generally coincide with the rainier part of the year. Of course, it had been dry and well below 30F for some days and I did not hear any noise. It rained like mad for 2 days and bam, there is the noise. I bet tomorrow it'll be gone again. Probably just water getting places...

Quote:
Old 01-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Same here... Bushings replaced once, started doing it again after awhile... Luckily only two daily speedbumps... Maybe will ask bout it again next time i'm in for service...
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
These are the two possibilities that are "easy" to replace yourself and have high probability of being the issue:
-Sway bar bushings
-Sway bar end links

I found out in my extreme cold weather situation, both those component failures in combination were the culprit. In my situation, extreme cold could be a squeak or a clunk over abrupt bumps (very common in the city and annoying). If you only experience this over speed bumps, I wouldn't worry about. If you want to DIY them, they are cheap and the work is straight forward.

This is not a new issue as it was present on the E46.

Last edited by bluskye; 01-10-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskye View Post
These are the two possibilities that are "easy" to replace yourself and have high probability of being the issue:
-Sway bar bushings
-Sway bar end links

I found out in my extreme cold weather situation, both those component failures in combination were the culprit. In my situation, extreme cold could be a squeak or a clunk over abrupt bumps (very common in the city and annoying). If you only experience this over speed bumps, I wouldn't worry about. If you want to DIY them, they are cheap and the work is straight forward.

This is not a new issue as it was present on the E46.
But if it keeps coming back it's annoying. Mine was making the noise at 500 miles. Mine got progressively worse as time went by. I never did it when warm, only cold. Here in Vermont I get to hear it almost all winter.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
But if it keeps coming back it's annoying. Mine was making the noise at 500 miles. Mine got progressively worse as time went by. I never did it when warm, only cold. Here in Vermont I get to hear it almost all winter.
Sorry to hear about your issue, it sounds like your problem was never really resolved. I have not had issues since replacing said components.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskye View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue, it sounds like your problem was never really resolved. I have not had issues since replacing said components.
Well it was fixed for almost all of last winter. Now it's back. I'll see what they say next month.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Here comes trouble!

My experience is that, over time, every car will develop some suspension noise. The question is whether it indicates:

- worn out parts/broken parts
- parts needing lubrication
- or just temporary noise due to dust/dirt/water/weather...

My old Ford Focus developed horrible suspension noise after about 70k miles but a few new parts and grease made it sound like new. :-) The E90 is FAR from being that annoying.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
My experience is that, over time, every car will develop some suspension noise. The question is whether it indicates:

- worn out parts/broken parts
- parts needing lubrication
- or just temporary noise due to dust/dirt/water/weather...

My old Ford Focus developed horrible suspension noise after about 70k miles but a few new parts and grease made it sound like new. :-) The E90 is FAR from being that annoying.
I would probably be more sympathetic about the noise if I had 70k miles. It first started at 500 miles now it is doing it again at 20k miles. No car should have suspension noise at 20k miles.

Actually it is kinda indicative of how I feel about the 3 series suspension in general. I realize I am combing two issues here, but on fairly smooth roads it is unbeatable. Ride quality is great and still provides great handling. Throw in a pothole, rough pavement or a speed bump (yes my car seems to have a issue) and it seems to completely be unable to cope.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
I would probably be more sympathetic about the noise if I had 70k miles. It first started at 500 miles now it is doing it again at 20k miles. No car should have suspension noise at 20k miles.

Actually it is kinda indicative of how I feel about the 3 series suspension in general. I realize I am combing two issues here, but on fairly smooth roads it is unbeatable. Ride quality is great and still provides great handling. Throw in a pothole, rough pavement or a speed bump (yes my car seems to have a issue) and it seems to completely be unable to cope.
I agree that your issues is not age of the vehicle. You might want to push them to look a bit further than just the bushings. Those shouldn't wear out in just a few thousand miles.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree that your issues is not age of the vehicle. You might want to push them to look a bit further than just the bushings. Those shouldn't wear out in just a few thousand miles.
I will have them look at it for sure. I always just thought it was a nuisance and nothing more but you bring up a great point. Perhaps there is something inherit about my suspension causing the bushings to wear. I didn't think of that. I should have them get to the bottom of it in case I do actually purchase the vehicle.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Here comes trouble!

Just as another reference point. Car sat in the garage over the weekend, no rain, cold temps this morning (30F) and yet, not significant suspension noise. Definitely rain related in my case. Odd...

Quote: