Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Cadillac ATS Wins 2013 North American Car of the Year

The 2013 Cadillac ATS luxury sport sedan today was named the winner of the North American Car of the Year award.

A jury of 49 automotive journalists considered every new car released in the past year, and selected ATS as the winner. The award was announced at a press conference opening the 25th annual North American International Auto Show.

"This is a very meaningful honor for the entire Cadillac team, especially the men and women who build the ATS in Lansing, Michigan, and our dedicated and talented designers and engineers," said Bob Ferguson, GM vice president, global Cadillac. "A car like ATS is the result of incredible commitment and focus. That's the only method for creating a great performing luxury car."

The new ATS is the lightest car in its class with a unique architecture designed for nimble driving performance. The North American Car of the Year award is the latest in a growing list of accolades for the ATS, which was named Car of the Year by Esquire, and the Motor Press Guild, as well as several other awards.

A compact sport sedan, the ATS is offered in rear- and all-wheel drive versions, with a choice of powerful and efficient four- and six-cylinder engines. It recently received a 5-Star overall crash test rating in the New Car Assessment Program run by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: F30 Sport Line
Congratulations to Cadillac. Well done
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Congratulations to Cadillac. Designing a new car from scratch that is a true sport sedan competitive with the best in the world is a great accomplishment. I personally have been wanting a US company to do this for a very long time.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
I looked semi-seriously at the ATS until I sat in it and tried to work the touch-screen. It's freaking awful. That's a dealbreaker, ladies!

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
I looked semi-seriously at the ATS until I sat in it and tried to work the touch-screen. It's freaking awful. That's a dealbreaker, ladies!
CUE got bad reviews by most reviewers, interestingly almost everyone who bought the ATS liked it after getting used to it. I think this is one of those new things people have to be willing to learn to use, or not.

I suspect more guys are willing to play with it than ladies though

Last edited by dtc100; 01-14-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
@tim330i

I give you credit for posting this news release.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

The 2013 Cadillac ATS luxury sport sedan today was named the winner of the North American Car of the Year award.

A jury of 49 automotive journalists considered every new car released in the past year, and selected ATS as the winner. The award was announced at a press conference opening the 25th annual North American International Auto Show.

"This is a very meaningful honor for the entire Cadillac team, especially the men and women who build the ATS in Lansing, Michigan, and our dedicated and talented designers and engineers," said Bob Ferguson, GM vice president, global Cadillac. "A car like ATS is the result of incredible commitment and focus. That's the only method for creating a great performing luxury car."

The new ATS is the lightest car in its class with a unique architecture designed for nimble driving performance. The North American Car of the Year award is the latest in a growing list of accolades for the ATS, which was named Car of the Year by Esquire, and the Motor Press Guild, as well as several other awards.

A compact sport sedan, the ATS is offered in rear- and all-wheel drive versions, with a choice of powerful and efficient four- and six-cylinder engines. It recently received a 5-Star overall crash test rating in the New Car Assessment Program run by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Excellent choice by a group of unbiased knowledgeable experts who obviously put a lot of thought and research into . , , , , , , , ,

Oh wait, Cadillac won? Not BMW?

That clueless, inept and incompetent group of fools were obviously bribed.

The ATS is car for old people. I recently had the opportunity to sit in an ATS at an Auto show, I looked in the rear view mirror and was shocked to see that there was some old fart sitting in the car. I was even more shocked when I realized I was looking at my own reflection,

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Excellent choice by a group of unbiased knowledgeable experts who obviously put a lot of thought and research into . , , , , , , , ,

The ATS is car for old people. I recently had the opportunity to sit in an ATS at an Auto show, I looked in the rear view mirror and was shocked to see that there was some old fart sitting in the car. I was even more shocked when I realized I was looking at my own reflection,

CA
LMAO. At least you don't have a walker parked outside the vehicle.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
LMAO. At least you don't have a walker parked outside the vehicle.
+1 LMAO too.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 01-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Congratulations to Cadillac. But, it appears very few are watching. I continue to see XTSs on the road. Not so, ATSs.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
CUE got bad reviews by most reviewers, interestingly almost everyone who bought the ATS liked it after getting used to it. I think this is one of those new things people have to be willing to learn to use, or not.

I suspect more guys are willing to play with it than ladies though
A "modern" system that is designed so the driver has to take his hand off the wheel and eyes off the road to try to touch virtual target in a moving car jiggling over a rough road. What could possibly go wrong? At the Cadillac event I went to the first thing the grey haired men looking at the car at the same time I was (the only other people looking at it) noticed about the CUE screen was that it was covered in fingerprints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post

CA
Who was on the jury? North American journalists, it would seem. The ATS's popularity kind of reminds me of the popularity of a certain Johnny-come-lately politician. It's new, exciting, and unexpected. Reviewers are very taken with the idea of it, even if the reality is actually less. The ATS is good. That is true. But, I think the current reaction to it here in the U.S. has more to do with automotive types' excitement and glee at the fact that it is produced by a U.S. automaker than the actual reality of the car. btw - yes, I have actually driven the car.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
A "modern" system that is designed so the driver has to take his hand off the wheel and eyes off the road to try to touch virtual target in a moving car jiggling over a rough road. What could possibly go wrong? At the Cadillac event I went to the first thing the grey haired men looking at the car at the same time I was (the only other people looking at it) noticed about the CUE screen was that it was covered in fingerprints.

Who was on the jury? North American journalists, it would seem. The ATS's popularity kind of reminds me of the popularity of a certain Johnny-come-lately politician. It's new, exciting, and unexpected. Reviewers are very taken with the idea of it, even if the reality is actually less. The ATS is good. That is true. I think the current reaction to it here in the U.S. has more to do with automotive types' excitement and glee at the fact that it is produced by a U.S. automaker than the actual reality of the car. btw - yes, I have actually driven the car.
Did you not hear Captain? The ATS is for old people and the judges were bribed.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
I am not sure if I have driven an ATS of not. I just can't seem to remember.
Maybe I am getting it confused with an ATV?

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 01-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
No, it's more like the best car is always the one you own. I've been reading the posts in the Corvette forum and people there are saying how much they prefer their current Vettes over the new C7. I actually feel that GM did a nice job with the new design, overall with some exceptions, but I also sold my Vette and can now be totally objective.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
No, it's more like the best car is always the one you own. I've been reading the posts in the Corvette forum and people there are saying how much they prefer their current Vettes over the new C7. I actually feel that GM did a nice job with the new design, overall with some exceptions, but I also sold my Vette and can now be totally objective.
Looking forward to seeing it in person this week!

I am hoping the interior has decent touch points.

I am also looking forward to EPA numbers, these cars could always pull good highway numbers since the Ls1 came around. Now we have less weight, direct injection and better aerodynamics.

Would be cool to see a 450hp Vette nail 26-27mpg highway.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Looking forward to seeing it in person this week!

I am hoping the interior has decent touch points.

I am also looking forward to EPA numbers, these cars could always pull good highway numbers since the Ls1 came around. Now we have less weight, direct injection and better aerodynamics.

Would be cool to see a 450hp Vette nail 26-27mpg highway.
My '09 ZO6 with 505 HP averaged 27+ MPG at an average highway speed of 76 MPH on a relatively flat N/S I-95 during my last trip from SE FL to PA. I read an article quoting GM saying the new C7 with 450+ HP should do 28-30 MPG doing legal speeds on the highway.

That's incredible from a V8. My '01 C5 Vette with 340 HP used to get 32 MPG in 6th gear on the highway averaging 72 MPH all day long.

BMW really could learn from the GM engineers about how to get high MPG from high output engines.

The C7 will be a bit heavier than the C6.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget

Last edited by beden1; 01-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
My '09 ZO6 with 505 HP averaged 27+ MPG at an average highway speed of 76 MPH on a relatively flat N/S I-95 during my last trip from SE FL to PA. I read an article quoting GM saying the new C7 with 450+ HP should do 28-30 MPG doing legal speeds on the highway.

That's incredible from a V8. My '01 C5 Vette with 340 HP used to get 32 MPG in 6th gear on the highway averaging 72 MPH all day long.

BMW really could learn from the GM engineers about how to get high MPG from high output engines.

The C7 will be a bit heavier than the C6.
The target for the C7 was UNDER 3000lbs, so nearly 10-12% lighter. There is no official data yet, but even though I think it's going to crack 3100, it should still be lighter than the C6.

Remember, your Z06 was on a different chassis utilizing lighter weight materials than the regular C6.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
The BMW 320i - The Cadillac ATS Killer.

The shortest reign of a North American Car of the Year Champion in automotive history. But, hey, those three hours must have felt really nice for the folks at GM.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
I really want to test drive a Cadillac ATS 3.6 321HP, to see if will click like the 3-series.

EPA says that it costs only 150$ more in fuel annually than a 328i.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The BMW 320i - The Cadillac ATS Killer.

The shortest reign of a North American Car of the Year Champion in automotive history. But, hey, those three hours must have felt really nice for the folks at GM.

BJ
Good, at least you will have something to make you feel better, as very soon you will be driving your F30 along side of all those 20 year olds, who would have bought E90s, but now can suddenly afford your 320i F30.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-14-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
The target for the C7 was UNDER 3000lbs, so nearly 10-12% lighter. There is no official data yet, but even though I think it's going to crack 3100, it should still be lighter than the C6.

Remember, your Z06 was on a different chassis utilizing lighter weight materials than the regular C6.
From what I read on the forum, there is no official data yet as you said, but the C7 is supposedly 100+ lbs. more than the C6 ZO6. That would place it around 3,246 lbs. This was from a GM executive speaking to someone at the Detroit Car Show.

Current Stablemates:
Old 01-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Wrong forum. General Automotive. *ducks and runs*

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
From what I read on the forum, there is no official data yet as you said, but the C7 is supposedly 100+ lbs. more than the C6 ZO6. That would place it around 3,246 lbs. This was from a GM executive speaking to someone at the Detroit Car Show.
Yeah, the Z06 had the higher price point to allow the materials in the rails that helped reduce weight. This C7 is the initial launch, give it time to expand and see how the C7 Z06 compares.

Remember how great the C5 Z06 was, then the BASE C6 was very close in terms of performance. Then the C6 Z06 came out and kind of made you forget about the rest lol. So this will likely follow the same trend.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
I drove the ATS when it first came out. It is really quite good. The main thing that drives me nuts about it (and a lot of recent GM cats) is the use of shiny black trim in the center console. Oh and the fact that they seem to have followed BMW right off the cliff with the use of Run Flat tires. Ahh well at least they seem to use Michelin run flats.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:11 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
ugly