Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post

On a side note. Here's the funny thing about "flame surfacing". The F10 comes off so clean and all that you wouldn't really think it, but there's a lot of complex sheetmetal curvature going on there.

Case in point: Tonight I did one of my routine "door ding checks". Saw a funny "ripple motion" right behind my drivers door (at the very beginning of the passenger door, toward the top just under the strong character line).... got fumed that it was a "ding", and then rushed to the other side of the car to see how it looked on that side....

.... low and behold, they carefully "bend" the sheetmetal very subtly in that area so the doors can align (obviously). If you look too closely, you might think it's a very tiny, very hard to see unless under specific lighting, "ding".
Wait until you clay it. Will blow your mind how much curvature there is. There isn't a straight panel on the body.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Wait until you clay it. Will blow your mind how much curvature there is. There isn't a straight panel on the body.
I dig that. "A design that hides door dings"

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
Dark Knight

Well, it happened. Exactly 2 weeks after getting the car.

I decided STUPIDLY to get a car wash to just "treat myself" since it's so cold out (for us West Coasters at least ), found the best reviewed hand wash in town.

....and it fast tracked my fear....

I now have a VERY SWIRLED BLACK CAR! YAY! Swirled up the yin yang (only visible in bright light, of course).

I never took my white car to a wash.... why did I my black car? Because I'm an idiot.

So now I get to either not care about the appearance so much or I gotta do a paint correction. There's a nice little swirly mark on the shadowline gloss trim on my rear window (the piece that goes vertically and separates the rear window with the Hoffmeister Kink), and I'm thinking of using that as an excuse to get some real CF B-Pillar trim pieces added to my car. Anyone ever do or see this on a black F10 with shadowline? Not sure if it would look nice by adding some contrast or if it would break up the cleanliness of all that black on my side profile (i.e now all black windows, paint, B Pillar trim, etc.).

Aside from that I took my anger out on the car. Got sideways twice.... haven't done that in like 10 years. MAN this car likes it when you're mad, it loves the abuse, and damn does it like to go and go quickly in Sport+ with SAT and the lovely N55. This is the first car I've ever had where I barely care about appearance. The dirtier/swirlier it gets the more I'm gonna beat the crap out of an exploit its virtues. Best part is it got better gas mileage while getting wailed on then my 2011 E350 did when I drove it like a Grandpa around town.

Last edited by K-A; 01-13-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
K-A, the F10 have change you from a mild manner citizen to a street villain
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
K-A, the F10 have change you from a mild manner citizen to a street villain
Funny thing is it's true.

The car mixed with the color has turned me from someone who self-proclaimedly drove like a "Granny" (and was damn proud of it), to a bonafide nutcase. Good thing I have HUD to quickly tell me when the speeds are about to get out of bounds.

What I love most about the N55 and ZF/SAT is the torque. I've never been a fan of top end speeds so much as those are the most dangerous and life-toying. But feeling that kick in your a$$ when you want it at pretty much any speed from idle (I believe the N55 makes peak torque starting at 1,200 RPM) coming from that sweet sounding ultra smooth I6 with subtle Turbo "whoosh" makes it pleasurable even if for a split second. And your gas mileage still isn't even that bad after it all.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Well, it happened. Exactly 2 weeks after getting the car.

I decided STUPIDLY to get a car wash to just "treat myself" since it's so cold out (for us West Coasters at least ), found the best reviewed hand wash in town.

....and it fast tracked my fear....

I now have a VERY SWIRLED BLACK CAR! YAY! Swirled up the yin yang (only visible in bright light, of course).

I never took my white car to a wash.... why did I my black car? Because I'm an idiot.

So now I get to either not care about the appearance so much or I gotta do a paint correction. There's a nice little swirly mark on the shadowline gloss trim on my rear window (the piece that goes vertically and separates the rear window with the Hoffmeister Kink), and I'm thinking of using that as an excuse to get some real CF B-Pillar trim pieces added to my car. Anyone ever do or see this on a black F10 with shadowline? Not sure if it would look nice by adding some contrast or if it would break up the cleanliness of all that black on my side profile (i.e now all black windows, paint, B Pillar trim, etc.).

Aside from that I took my anger out on the car. Got sideways twice.... haven't done that in like 10 years. MAN this car likes it when you're mad, it loves the abuse, and damn does it like to go and go quickly in Sport+ with SAT and the lovely N55. This is the first car I've ever had where I barely care about appearance. The dirtier/swirlier it gets the more I'm gonna beat the crap out of an exploit its virtues. Best part is it got better gas mileage while getting wailed on then my 2011 E350 did when I drove it like a Grandpa around town.
Wtf you already screwed up the car!?? Sheesh man. No opticoat now!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Wtf you already screwed up the car!?? Sheesh man. No opticoat now!
Basically. Posted a new "clean" thread with updated pics.

Got it slightly corrected with an extensive detail (of which I did not do as I don't have the time or at least will to clay/polish/seal/then wax on top of that my car), and it does look GREAT, but in direct bright sunlight, you can see holograms presumedly from the buffing machines that have met the paint already.

This is gonna wear me out if I care too much, so my new rule is I care about 1- it being clean, 2- getting some kind of light corrective surgery about once or twice a year (since it's a Lease, a budget of under $150).

Should have listened to you and just done Opticoat from the get go, but for a 24 month Lease I figure that $400+ (at minimum) cost might be much.... though I might rack that up in "normal" polish-detailing anyway.

Bah.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
I did opticoat myself. 50 bux. Done
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
I did opticoat myself. 50 bux. Done
Damn! Didn't even think of that.

Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens next. With this black you're always ensured of surprised.