Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 AM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
norcal owners - white/amber bulb colors?

I promise this will be my last CA related thread. Just moved to the state and recognize I need a front plate and amber colored bulbs on my sidemarkers and rear turn signals. I'm currently running clear lenses all around with white bulbs.

I'm definitely not putting a front plate on the ZHP, but thankfully I do have a "clip in" front plate holder that fits in the front bumper trim, so if I get a fix it ticket I can throw that on to get by.

I'm debating spending $100 on stealth bulbs to get my signals amber, without the yellow egg yolk through my clear lenses. Turner has a 20% off lighting sale right now which is nice.

Question: should I just leave them white, will cops care? or am i better off giving them one less reason to pull me over and get me for the front plate at the same time?
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2013, 10:08 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
CHP and local cops are all self funding their retirements and will pull your ass over, so at the least put in some orange bulbs in your turn signals. My E46 just has the orange bulbs and a quick glance (look at pic below) it looks passable.

I got front bumper fix it tickets at a mall TWICE and it is probable cause to pull you over as well now and the "corporate" traffic signal light/ticket operators WANT THE FRONT PLATE ON THERE and have lobbied LE agencies to enforce it, so just velcro the damn plate on there if you can't handle drilling holes in the bumper. It sucks but no way around it and I don't really think it's that big a deal anymore.

2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 01-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325Ci Conv
Ive seen a s*** load of bmws without the front plates and cops dnt care.. (Well that i have noticed) and to save urself the hassle just put the ugly bulbs on.. Cops are assholes sometimes and give u a hard as time for it.. I know trust me
Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
My advice, fix the bulbs without pause. On the plate, I don't run one and only have been tagged in San Francisco while parked on the street. MTA loves to give that ticket... they are the ones who tagged me twice.

I have a solution for when I go to the City, but mostly just make sure I park in private lots or garages.

On another topic... get in touch when you get settled in. I'm heavily involved with the local BMW CCA chapter and we are on a mission in 2013 to grow our membership by hosting more social events in the various locales around the Bay. We cover a huge geographic area from SLO all the way up to the Oregon border and we have lit a fire under the butts of our area reps to host more events this year.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
My advice, fix the bulbs without pause. On the plate, I don't run one and only have been tagged in San Francisco while parked on the street. MTA loves to give that ticket... they are the ones who tagged me twice.

I have a solution for when I go to the City, but mostly just make sure I park in private lots or garages.

On another topic... get in touch when you get settled in. I'm heavily involved with the local BMW CCA chapter and we are on a mission in 2013 to grow our membership by hosting more social events in the various locales around the Bay. We cover a huge geographic area from SLO all the way up to the Oregon border and we have lit a fire under the butts of our area reps to host more events this year.
right on, will definitely be in touch. definitely going to the do the bulbs, will do the stealth bulbs to hide the yolk but give an amber color. just attached the picture of the zhp arriving today. also discovered by VCG is leaking. i stupidly replaced it prior to fixing my CVV so i dont think the initial repair lasted along, so i get to look forward to fixing that tomorrow! looks like i'll be in sacramento btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0232.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	357746