Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to StealthJPL Send a message via Yahoo to StealthJPL
Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325ES
Rich Fuel/Gas smell from exhaust!

Hey guys. It has been a while since I have visited Bimmerfest and I forgot about how helpful it has been in teaching me about BMWs. I have recently put my Bimmer under the knife a few times and have been very successful thankful in part to this forum. I also have thanks for a BMW mechanic that works at a DIY hobby shop to thank as well. I wanted to get two opinions on my Bimmer about a problem that I have. Last October 2012, I took my 1987 BMW 325es to a car wash and sprayed down the engine after I had changed out the timing belt and water pump, which is how I came about joining Bimmerfest. After I sprayed down the engione, something got wet and the engine started running really rough. It got so bad that my CAT turned cherry red and I started smelling a really rich fuel mixture coming from the tail pipe. At first I was told that it was my throttle body housing but after checking that over I found nothing wrong with it. Yesterday, January 10, 2013, I changed the spark plugs (.30 Gap as per the manual) O2 sensor, rotor, wires and distributor cap. All of the mentioned maintenance was recommended because of the fuel smell. Unfortunately, the smell is still present and I do not know what to do next. I would like to get started in making this car my project toy, but as long as there are problems present I cannot focus on the toy part until I can get her running correctly. Does anyone know what the problem might be? After spending this much on my car, I really do not want to spend any more until I know exactly what is wrong with it. I am going to take it to the hobby shop tomorrow and ask the mechanic about it but I would really like to have two opinions to follow. The one thing I have noticed is that a lot of focus is on the fuel injectors. Maybe that is the problem, and I am going to ask the mechanic tomorrow about it. Sorry if this post is in the wrong section. I did try to follow the proper posting procedures. Thank you all in advance. BMW SPECS: 1987 325es 3.7 Li 6 cyl SOHC.
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
fuel pressure test. sounds like the fpr is bad.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:28 PM

What is an FPR? I am unfamiliar with mechanical acronyms.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:33 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Fuel pressure regulator. It's on the end of the fuel rail. Has a vacuum line going to it, and a fuel return line running back to the tank. It bleeds off excess fuel pressure back to the tank at low speed. If it fails it puts full pressure to the injectors even at idle, and the engine runs way rich.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:47 PM

Thanks. I will look into this tomorrow morning. That actually sounds plausible and makes more sense then the CAT going out.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
Red face Water destroying a FPR ?

You hose down the car and the FPR goes bad ???
Either I read this wrong or Beemers are more "interesting" than I thought
Normally I would think that if Water causes a problem it would most likely be a elecrical problem.
If it is not firing on a cylinder, you will also dump raw fuel into the exhaust
The honeycomb in your cat will absorb the fuel & cobust it, causing the comforting red glow
We have a lot of 4X4's burning down here, due to some fool "tuners" enrichening the mixture and then getting the cat to get hot enough to ignite the grass that is stuck between the cat & its guard
Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
You hose down the car and the FPR goes bad ???
if you take away what he did and use it as a normal "i was driving then noticed....." situation. the washing could be irrelevant and be a sole coincidence. maybe he blew a vacuum line off, maybe it just decided to die. ive seen crazier things.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Git

Mein Auto: 90 Ford Tempo
You probably have water trapped in the connectors of the engine harness.
They will dry out eventually but may leave deposits in the connector which will cause corrosion and bad connections.
I would recommend that you get a can of "Water Displacer 40", disconnect every electrical plug on the engine harness, and flood with the WD40.
Major targets would be C109, the TPS, the CPS, the CTS, The main and fuel pump relay sockets,the ICV plug.
You may also want to disconnect the fuel injector plugs and clear the water out of them.
Don't forget to dry out the distributor cap/rotor with a clean dry rag only...no sprays.

m
Old 01-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989/1991 E30; 2000 E38
+1. 7pilot is absolutely correct. E30s are prone to connector corrosion. Clean all connections with CRC electric connector cleaner, let air dry and reconnect. Make sure you address the circular connector below the throttle body. That's the one for the fuel injectors.

Big Boyz with Bad Toyz.