Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 528
Question Not all iPhone contacts are accessible via Bluetooth

Hello,

I have a 2012 528 model. I have my iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0.2) paired via Bluetooth to the car and I can make and receive calls. However I am having two issues.

1. "Transferring Contacts..." takes very long (a couple minutes).
2. Not all of the contacts show up in the list.

I wouldn't mind the long wait if all the contacts synced up, however not all of them do. I have 1489 contacts synchronizing over iCloud. The ones that don't appear in the BMW interface have phone numbers, and are formatted correctly so I am not understanding why certain entries in the address book just don't appear on the car. Also I have the newest software update installed from BMW.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks
D
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Change the order of the contact list display (first name, last name) to see if that forces something else in the transfer. It may be possible that your list will be transferred completely but in chunks due to the list size being way above average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmusic View Post
Hello,

I have a 2012 528 model. I have my iPhone 5 (iOS 6.0.2) paired via Bluetooth to the car and I can make and receive calls. However I am having two issues.

I wouldn't mind the long wait if all the contacts synced up, however not all of them do. I have 1489 contacts synchronizing over iCloud. The ones that don't appear in the BMW interface have phone numbers, and are formatted correctly so I am not understanding why certain entries in the address book just don't appear on the car. Also I have the newest software update installed from BMW.

Thanks
D
Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmusic View Post
Hello,

Thanks
D

I can't find where I first read about this, but my memory is that you can only transfer 500 contacts over Bluetooth. I don't think that is a BMW limitation either - I think it's Bluetooth. I could be wrong, or things might have changed since I last heard that. Sorry couldn't be more helpful.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth View Post
I can't find where I first read about this, but my memory is that you can only transfer 500 contacts over Bluetooth. I don't think that is a BMW limitation either - I think it's Bluetooth. I could be wrong, or things might have changed since I last heard that. Sorry couldn't be more helpful.
I use a blackberry 9900 with 1100 contacts and they all transfer eventually.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Its not a bluetooth limitation, that's for sure. Last car transfered 1000 contacts, besides BT does not care what you are transferring... data is data.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Its not a bluetooth limitation, that's for sure. Last car transfered 1000 contacts, besides BT does not care what you are transferring... data is data.
I am experiencing the same issue with my new iPhone5 with ios 6.0.2. My older iPhone with 6.0.1 syncs the address book just fine. same number of contacts in both phones over 1000 +/- 200. I believe it is an ios issue. I have not been able to find anything on the apple website.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible 2007
I have a thread with this same question and just found your thread. I've posted your link on my thread and the link to my thread follows. Hopefully someone will find an answer. If I receive one I will post on both threads. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...738&highlight=
Old 06-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
I can't find the post, but I did read somewhere that if any of the contacts have an Emoji-style character in any of the fields it would basically hang up the transfer.

That would probably be the first thing I check for.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 535xi
Quote:
I can't find the post, but I did read somewhere that if any of the contacts have an Emoji-style character in any of the fields it would basically hang up the transfer.

That would probably be the first thing I check for.
Don't think that is it. I have some in my contacts and it works fine. In the iDrive Display the emoji symbol shows up as []
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 PM

Clutchlee. Are you upgraded to IOS v6.1.4? If not, I wouldn't go there because that is when my contacts stopped syncing with iDrive.
Old 06-30-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535iX
I upgraded to IOS 6.1.4 mid week and all of a sudden my contacts will no longer transfer as of yesterday. Damn it! I have to quit upgrading before checking forums.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburleson View Post
I upgraded to IOS 6.1.4 mid week and all of a sudden my contacts will no longer transfer as of yesterday. Damn it! I have to quit upgrading before checking forums.
pburleson I can tell you I've tried disabling iCloud and retaining all the contacts on the phone and they still won't load. At some point I am calling Apple, there has to be a resolution. This problem cannot be limited to just BMW iDrive Bluetooth connections!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:12 AM

I solved my contact problem; it was in the phone settings. Go here for the resolution: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=1#post7686144