Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Fuel Injector "Service"

So on a recent dealer visit my SA was asking me if I wanted the Fuel Injector "service". (X3 has 77k on the odo)... I told him that I run a tank of Techron through it every 3-5k miles. He agreed and said that was good. But in addition to a tank with Techron, their service would also hookup an "IV-like" tube to the motor and feed a "highly concentrated solution" (I didn't ask of WHAT) through the fuel injectors to really clean them up.

Anyone familiar with this service and the results?

//Brew

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
probably a bg system fuel cleaner, at least based upon the description, that i have used. one of the better ones, but regardless, this sounds as a preventive maintenance upsell.

i would see no harm in having this service performed, as it is a commonly recommended service.

df
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinfaster View Post
probably a bg system fuel cleaner, at least based upon the description, that i have used. one of the better ones, but regardless, this sounds as a preventive maintenance upsell.

i would see no harm in having this service performed, as it is a commonly recommended service.

df
OK.. well, i'm not a big fan of liquid voodoo. I have a E92 with the same motor... 117k on the odo.. Only ever has had Techron and purrs like a baby kitten.

I'm thinking the X3 will need new plugs and possibly O2 sensors long before any liquid voodoo.

thanks for the response!

//Brew

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i believe the techron you are using will be giving you great results, but i assure you, this is not 'liquid voodoo'.

there are 2 different 'styles' of fuel injection clener service. one actually will go through the fuel rail, and the other 'fogs' the intake. both do good jobs of cleaning deposits, but, when done properly, so does a small cup of water.

the rail style will remove internal deposits in the fuel rail and in the internals of the injectors, whereas the fog style does not.

regardless, if you are not having any sort of driveability issue then i would see no need to have one at this time.

df
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: X3, 2.0i, Manual, 10/06
In the past on an E30, incarried out a fuel injector clean up using a liquiq sonification system. Basically its a piece of equipment where they remove the injectors from your car, plug them into that machine. The machine uses a liquid based on water and and sonification technique, i.e. ultrasound waves that propell the liquid and extremely high speeds. That, pressure and liquid used, clean the injectors and make them like brand new, no clogs etc. It's not really necessary unless you car exhibits some hesitation, or throws a douple of codes for mixture, or gas quality is really bad, or if you have a lot of miles on the engine. In theory it could improve fuel consumption, emissions, and power output to factorry standards, as long as all the rest of the systems work fine.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 AM
2007 X3

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
I was also told I needed on at a jiffy lube, not that I got an oil change there, but I happen to chat with a guy from there, he showed the contraption to me, funny, it does look like an IV for a car, it costs about 100 bucks, was kind of leary because I'm afraid to let anyone tinker with it... So has anyone actually got this done?