Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM
kkapdolee kkapdolee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 382
Mein Auto: a car
Time from order until production begins?

Hi,

I ordered my car on 12/26/12 and bmwusa.com still only shows "Order Documented" as of 1/14/13. Is this long of a wait usual? How long did yours take?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-14-2013, 07:52 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,840
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
You have to get that information from your dealer. They know the moment you sign the paperwork when your car will go into production.

Each dealership is allocated an amount of 328i, 335i, and XDrives each month, and they know the production dates for each. Your dealer should have provided you with an allocation number and a production date at the time you did your deal a month ago.

Call him, ask him for that information. What has happened to me in the past is that I wasn't given an allocation number and my shady dealer gave my car to someone else who was more persistent and ordered a more optioned and expensive version of my 328i. So I was pushed back two weeks simply because I didn't know the game.

This happened to my friend a few months ago in SoCal, so I told him to call other dealers in the area, see who had newer allocation numbers and move the deal. He did. And saved some money in the process too.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM
Orient330iNYC's Avatar
Orient330iNYC Orient330iNYC is online now
Flying monkey herder
Location: Wall St
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,152
Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Hi,

I ordered my car on 12/26/12 and bmwusa.com still only shows "Order Documented" as of 1/14/13. Is this long of a wait usual? How long did yours take?

Thanks.
when you ordered means almost nothing; your production allocation is what matters. if your dealer doesnt have a production allocation thats going into production soon, then the car can sit in the order bank for quite a while. i suspect that your car doesnt have a production week assigned to it yet.

ask your dealer for the production week. also, a south africa build adds another month to delivery time versus a germany build

alot of dealers will sell a production allocation that they dont have to take a buyer out of the market.

my dealer got me a germany prod allocation that flipped from scheduled for production to in production the next day-- the car was at the dealer about 5 weeks later.
__________________
Past: 2001 330i ZSP/ZPP/Step
Past: 2004 S60R 6MT Sport
Past: 2007 335i 6MT ZSP/ZCW/322/655
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Hmm... you guys got me thinking now. My CA did mention something about them having to buy the allocation from another dealership when he was placing my order but I did not realize the whole process was this complicated. I am in the same boat as the OP - my order was placed on 12/28/12 and so far I am seeing the same thing when I log in to bmwusa.com - the car hasn't entered production yet :-|
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 AM
kkapdolee kkapdolee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 382
Mein Auto: a car
Thank you for your replies.

I did email my dealer last Friday as well as yesterday but haven't gotten a response yet. He's been a really good dealer for me and good at responding to emails promptly but doesn't answer phone calls that well. I think he's just super busy. He did tell me before that mine is a Germany built and the expected delivery date is early March though. With that knowledge, can you make a estimate as to when it will enter production?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I just checked my order on BMWUSA.com. I recall the site being pretty much useless, so I really didn't bother until today (and not actually until I saw this thread).

My order still says Order Documented too, but I just ordered on Friday, so I don't think it's a real big issue (at least not yet).

But the big problem for me is that the vehicle description says Estoril Blue. WTF!

kkapdolee, is your vehicle description right on BMWUSA.COM?
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)

Last edited by krash; 01-15-2013 at 05:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 AM
kkapdolee kkapdolee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 382
Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I just checked my order on BMWUSA.com. I recall the site being pretty much useless, so I really didn't bother until today (and actually until I saw this thread).

My order still says Order Documented too, but I just ordered on Friday, so I don't think it's a real big issue (at least not yet).

But the big problem for me is that the vehicle description says Estoril Blue. WTF!

kkapdolee, is your vehicle description right on BMWUSA.COM?
Yeah mine says its Alpine White! and I ordered Estoril Blue..

I just assumed it was because the production hasn't began yet and they would update the image once production starts. My dealer sent me the order sheet and everything on there is correct. It's probably just the website.. I hope..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkapdolee View Post
Yeah mine says its Alpine White! and I ordered Estoril Blue..

I just assumed it was because the production hasn't began yet and they would update the image once production starts. My dealer sent me the order sheet and everything on there is correct. It's probably just the website.. I hope..
Either that, or maybe I'm getting your car?
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Why would it randomly display Alpine White for you and Estoril Blue for me???? Hopefully the problem is with the website and not our orders.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM
kkapdolee kkapdolee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 382
Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Why would it randomly display Alpine White for you and Estoril Blue for me???? Hopefully the problem is with the website and not our orders.
Yeah..

I'm going to ask my CA about that today. I'll let you know what I find out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Lance Alot Lance Alot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 375
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Ditto on needing to get a production week from the dealer. I have seen them go into production a few days after ordering (like my last purchase), or it can take months. As far as the incorrect color showing up, it is fairly common. The likely explanation is that the dealer had an allocation order with those color choices. This far out they can change it at at any time, and the system takes a while to reflect the changes. If your order build sheet is right, you should get the right car.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 AM
kkapdolee kkapdolee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 382
Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
Ditto on needing to get a production week from the dealer. I have seen them go into production a few days after ordering (like my last purchase), or it can take months. As far as the incorrect color showing up, it is fairly common. The likely explanation is that the dealer had an allocation order with those color choices. This far out they can change it at at any time, and the system takes a while to reflect the changes. If your order build sheet is right, you should get the right car.
I did see an order build sheet from my dealer but how do I know it's the "official" one or just one that dealer put together on his computer using excel or something?

I saw my order sheet with all the negotiated prices when the dealer first ordered the car but then when I asked him to port install a Sport grille later on, he sent me a new sheet with that additional order but with different pricing this time. The base price of the 3 series went up this year about $380. When I asked about the price increase, dealer said I will be price protected with the one I negotiated in the first place. But this makes me think the order sheet he was showing me wasn't set in stone official?

Any idea?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
gomichaelkgo gomichaelkgo is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 76
Mein Auto: 2014 335i
I got lucky. It was minus one days for me. I put my order in on the 30th of October. Production started five days later.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:24 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,840
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Why would it randomly display Alpine White for you and Estoril Blue for me???? Hopefully the problem is with the website and not our orders.
It's not a website problem. The allocation process assigns a color to the car so that if it isn't allocated to a special order customer it gets built and shipped to the dealer that way. Think of it this way: you have intercepted a car that was supposed to be made differently. Your dealer has to input all of the new information to override what was already there for that particular allocation. Once your new detail is in the system it will update on the BMW website.

But big picture, know this: the BMW tracking website is awful. It's always behind, it lacks good detail. What you need is the BMW telephone number which you can call 24 hours a day and learn the true status of your build.

Call: (800) 831-1117 Say "Vehicle Production Status" when prompted.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-15-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
It's not a website problem. The allocation process assigns a color to the car so that if it isn't allocated to a special order customer it gets built and shipped to the dealer that way. Think of it this way: you have intercepted a car that was supposed to be made differently. Your dealer has to input all of the new information to override what was already there for that particular allocation. Once your new detail is in the system it will update on the BMW website.

But big picture, know this: the BMW tracking website is awful. It's always behind, it lacks good detail. What you need is the BMW telephone number which you can call 24 hours a day and learn the true status of your build.

Call: (800) 831-1117 Say "Vehicle Production Status" when prompted.

BJ
Cool. Thanks.

Yes, this is why I never used this site in the first place when I had my e90.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)

Last edited by krash; 01-15-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Krash, mine says Alpine White and I ordered Jet Black so I wouldn't worry about it - I spoke to my CA about it as soon as I saw it and he assured me the order is correct and the website will update that later.

BJ - thanks for the number. Calling now!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,840
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Cool. Thanks.

Yes, this is why I never used this site in the first place when I had my 390.
Once you get your VIN the fun really starts.

You are about to experience 'the black hole'. For weeks, it will look like nothing is being done on your car. It will say that production has started. Two weeks will go by. It will then say its in the paint shop. Another week will go by. You'll start to get frustrated. Then, suddenly, you will find out that your car is halfway across the Atlantic Ocean and shipped a week prior.

Once that bit of pain/joy happens, you are relieved of BMW tracking your car. From there, there are two really excellent websites that will tell you precisely where your car is including a satellite tracker showing your vessel and it's every move on the water. It's how the process works. We all go from being a proofreader to a factory foreman to a steamship captain. It's pretty funny what it takes to get this car in your garage.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Krash, mine says Alpine White and I ordered Jet Black so I wouldn't worry about it - I spoke to my CA about it as soon as I saw it and he assured me the order is correct and the website will update that later.

BJ - thanks for the number. Calling now!
Great, thanks. I just talked to my CA too. He said the same thing. It's all good.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:37 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Holy crap! The phone system says my vehicle is in production with the estimated completion date of Jan23! Whoa!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Once you get your VIN the fun really starts.

You are about to experience 'the black hole'. For weeks, it will look like nothing is being done on your car. It will say that production has started. Two weeks will go by. It will then say its in the paint shop. Another week will go by. You'll start to get frustrated. Then, suddenly, you will find out that your car is halfway across the Atlantic Ocean and shipped a week prior.

Once that bit of pain/joy happens, you are relieved of BMW tracking your car. From there, there are two really excellent websites that will tell you precisely where your car is including a satellite tracker showing your vessel and it's every move on the water. It's how the process works. We all go from being a proofreader to a factory foreman to a steamship captain. It's pretty funny what it takes to get this car in your garage.

BJ
Yes, I used Vesseltracker before. I think I'll log into that and see if my account is still valid.
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 AM
krash's Avatar
krash krash is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: PA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,689
Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm1975 View Post
holy crap! The phone system says my vehicle is in production with the estimated completion date of jan23! Whoa!
awesome!
__________________
2013 335i: Sport Line, Premium, Technology, DHP, HK, 8 Speed Sport w/Paddles, Heated Seats, PDC, Camera
2004 330ci: zhp, Premium, Dinan upgrades (various)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,840
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Holy crap! The phone system says my vehicle is in production with the estimated completion date of Jan23! Whoa!
Sweet!

The next bit of important information comes from your dealer. You need two things: the complete VIN and the name of the vessel that the car was put on (once shipped). Only the dealer can give you this information. Both the BMW website and the phone number stop giving you detail once it is in the status of "production complete awaiting shipment". Once you hear that you are in that status, you hound your dealer daily until he gives you the vessel name.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is online now
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,840
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
Yes, I used Vesseltracker before. I think I'll log into that and see if my account is still valid.
Most use this site. Same detail, and free.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
DavidM1975 DavidM1975 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 281
Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
... you hound your dealer daily until he gives you the vessel name.
Haha! Will certainly do that! Thanks again for all the tips!
__________________
2013 335i SPORT LINE jet black
2007 328xi - sold March 2013


Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM
MonkeyCMonkeyDo MonkeyCMonkeyDo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Anaheim Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 493
Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Make sure you get the VIR, vehicle information report from your dealer. He can make a pdf of it and send it over. This and the production number will ensure you have the correct car built to your specs. A number of members on this forum and received cars with incorrect spec, such as auto instead of manual. It is very important you check the actual VIR before production begins. This will save you weeks if the wrong car is delivered and you have to do the whole process over.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms