Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-07-2009, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325i & '05 X5
Bluetooth issues with '05 X5

I just bought a '05 X5 and have been unable to figure out to make my bluetooth work. I have an iPhone 3G that doesn't have a problem paring with other devices. The car has a nav system and bluetooth for certain. Can anyone give me any advice? The phone is unable to find car and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Of course, the phone manual is the one thing missing from the owners packet.

Thank you!!
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 AM
steve

Mein Auto: X5
Bluetooth pairing

Hi there,
I've just joined the forum looking for advice and saw your post.
I'm in the UK, but have a '05 X5 like you so I may be able to help.
This is all the dealer could manage after having the car all morning, but it works for me:-
Set the phone's bluetooth detect off.
Ignition off, press and hold the telephone button which is under the central arm-rest. Hold for 3 sec's, turn the ignition to on and hold for a further 3 sec. Then release. You should get all 3 leds lit up as it searches.
This is now the trick:-
Turn off the car's ignition.
Turn on the ignition again and start the car as normal.
The lights may flicker red at this stage.
Only now turn on the phone's bluetooth and go to 'search for devices', follow all prompts etc and enter the BMW's bluetooth pairing code when prompted on your phone.
The led will light up green and go dark when you finish your call, but all will continue to work.
If you remember to turn off the phone's bluetooth every time when leaving the car, it will stay connected when you are in the car & hook-up again when you get back in.
Otherwise you have to go through the above procedure each time. - needless to say I usually get out of the car & outside it's range completely forgetting this and then hear the chirp as the car loses me.
Also only the button under the armrest works with this procedure.
It seems that the car lacks the software upgrade for newer phones, I have a fairly new Nokia N51.
Hope it works for you!

Steve
2005 71k miles drives like new.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
Hi,
I also have a 2005MY X5. I have successfully paired my old Motorola Razor, two blackberrys, and my wife's LG dare. You say that you do not have the manuals. You need the bluetooth instruction card that came with the vehicle because it has a sticker with the security code printed on it. Without that code, you cannot pair your phone. If you do not have the 4 digit code, then all you can do is take it to the dealer and have them determine the code for you.

For my X5, I just put my new phone in search mode, turn on the ignition and once my phone discovers the car, key in the 4 digit code. After that, the car downloads my phonebook automatically and pairs itself everytime I get in and start the car.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4 w/NAV no DSP
Here's some pictures of 2006 X5 with Navi. Passkey can be found on the module itself if you've lost your card. PK = Passkey to pair your bluetooth phone.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Thank you so much

Hi
Thank you so much for taking the time to upload those pictures and informing people about your knowledge on the subject.

I aquired my X5 and the card with the pin on was missing. I came across your post and I'm please to say it worked. Your pictures allowed me to go straight to the screws and remove the cover.

You have saved me alot and time and indeed money. Thanks again
Old 01-14-2013, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Location of Bluetooth PK - no CD changer - 2005 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk0602 View Post
Here's some pictures of 2006 X5 with Navi. Passkey can be found on the module itself if you've lost your card. PK = Passkey to pair your bluetooth phone.

Hi TomK,

Hoping you have some suggestions for me, I have a 2005 X5 3.0 that does not have a CD changer. I know that my car has bluetooth as I can find it when I search on my phone however I do not have the PK as the owners manual was not available when I purchased the car.

Any idea where the bluetooth module is if it is not in this location?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poehawk55 View Post
Hi TomK,

Any idea where the bluetooth module is if it is not in this location?

Thanks,
Jeff
If you have it...it will be in the same location regardless if you have the CD changer or not. The brackets for the CDC/Nav/AV equipment holds all the components in the same place regardless of how the vehicle comes equipped. They don't mount it any where different just because the option isn't ordered with the vehicle.

As noted in the pics presented...remove the 3 screws (the picture is sideways...so the piece you're removing is actually one of the pieces that is below the floor board for the cargo floor (I think it's #6 in the diagram below). You will/can see part of the component peeking out before you even move the lower piece.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E53 AV Bracket.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	357684  
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-14-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:13 PM

No sticker on Bluetooth module

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
If you have it...it will be in the same location regardless if you have the CD changer or not. The brackets for the CDC/Nav/AV equipment holds all the components in the same place regardless of how the vehicle comes equipped. They don't mount it any where different just because the option isn't ordered with the vehicle.

As noted in the pics presented...remove the 3 screws (the picture is sideways...so the piece you're removing is actually one of the pieces that is below the floor board for the cargo floor (I think it's #6 in the diagram below). You will/can see part of the component peeking out before you even move the lower piece.

QSilver7,
Thanks you so much for your response. I was able to locate the Bluetooth module. Unfortunately, it does not have a sticker on it. Any recommendations?

Thanks a ton!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poehawk55 View Post
QSilver7,
Thanks you so much for your response. I was able to locate the Bluetooth module. Unfortunately, it does not have a sticker on it. Any recommendations?

Thanks a ton!
What is your X5's build date? It must be after 10/2004...plus it requires BMW Assist (SA639)...basically you should have a microphone installed above in the headliner access panel near the BMW SOS/Assist buttons & sunroof switch.

Also, did you unscrew the module from the bracket to see if the label may be on a side that is not viewable when installed?

If you're not sure you have this package...look up your build specs (type in the last 7 digits of your VIN at this link: http://bmwvin.com/ )

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 01-15-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
What is your X5's build date? It must be after 10/2004...plus it requires BMW Assist (SA639)...basically you should have a microphone installed above in the headliner access panel near the BMW SOS/Assist buttons & sunroof switch.

Also, did you unscrew the module from the bracket to see if the label may be on a side that is not viewable when installed?

If you're not sure you have this package...look up your build specs (type in the last 7 digits of your VIN at this link: http://bmwvin.com/ )

Thanks again QSilver7,

The build date is December 7, 2004. The package is an E53 and I will attempt to unscrew the module from the bracket to see if the label is on the other side tonight.

Thanks again
Old 04-05-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
i ran into this post looking for the location of the x5 bt module, didnt finish reading the thread as soon as i saw the pics..thanks a lot thats the way mine is located, my issue was that the BT quick working, I read in other threats that simply by disconnecting the module cable...waiting a few seconds..reconnect will fix it.. and it did work for me..thanks a lot. My veh is X5 2006, the module is where is shown in previous pics and diagrams. Sorry couldn't insert a few of my pics for more info.. didnt work..
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4i
Smile Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk0602 View Post

Your pictures and instructions were perfect for my 2005 X5! Thank you. You saved me from making a trip to the dealer!