Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
What ^ said.

The OP is a diesel owner, every year or 12K they need to automatically change the oil.

If your a gas owner that bulletin applies.

Requirements are:

You must have had at least one year since your last oil change, but only have driven less than 6k. = free oil change

So if you had one year between your last free oil change, but drove 6001 miles your not entitled to a free oil change.
Our dealer still does a annual oil change for our '12 X5 35i under the free maintenance plan even though we do about 12k miles per year. I asked our service adviser about it when we bought the car and he was very positive about it (we've been using the same service adviser for about 10 years). It's usually followed by the computer-indicated oil change about 4 months later. Makes for an odd 12-4-12 month type of pattern.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Our dealer still does a annual oil change for our '12 X5 35i under the free maintenance plan even though we do about 12k miles per year. I asked our service adviser about it when we bought the car and he was very positive about it (we've been using the same service adviser for about 10 years). It's usually followed by the computer-indicated oil change about 4 months later. Makes for an odd 12-4-12 month type of pattern.

Example of when having a good SA & Customer relationship helps you out.

You cant ask for more than that (well you could ask for something along the lines of 8K oil changes).

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard
Be really useful to know your last oilchange date/mileage as well as current mileage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmetha View Post
last free oil change was dec 2011 and current miles are 21000.
And you mileage in dec 2011 when you had the last oil change?
Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
And you mileage in dec 2011 when you had the last oil change?
Mileage in dec 2011 was 14000 and in dec 2012 was 21000....spoke to BMWNA, they say for diesels it is covered...annual/low mileage oil service, however there are conflicting guidelines that are out there
Old 01-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Does BMW even do the annual low mileage changes anymore?

It doesn't come up on their automated computer system for service.
It did on my 2010 diesel. When I got within a few weeks of 12 months on the oil, the change oil service indication came-up on my i-drive, in spite of having only around 5,000 miles on the oil. And I seem to remember it showed a date, not a mileage countdown, although I'm only 90% sure of that recollection.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 AM

Finally got it resolved yesterday and got my annual oil service, had to get BMWNA involved. They did not reset the CBC so I should get another one in 6K miles
Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011BMW 335d
diesel free oil chg. not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
look in the service and warranty booklet
re war & serv man, What page please ????
I to have been told by service manager diesel eng. cars "low milage" is not covered!!! they gave me a so called sbi from BMW that states "Low milage on a diesel eng equipped car is not covered but gas powered is covered" several sf bay area dealers have told me the same. yet over the ph they say bring it in, but when I do they say the "Warranty Clerk says "no! not covered"
so please give us the pge no, when I showed the Fremont CA dealer the war booklet the sa said the war booklet I showed him was for the Gas Engine cars yes I know this sounds insane but can't get the issue of the free oil change past the war clerks...?
also how did you contact BMWNA to have them tell you they will get back to you?? Sounds a lot like "THe check is in the Mail" I hope you're not sitting there holding your breath because of what some clerk told you, please names and phone nos.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcom View Post
I to have been told by service manager diesel eng. cars "low milage" is not covered!!! they gave me a so called sbi from BMW that states "Low milage on a diesel eng equipped car is not covered but gas powered is covered" several sf bay area dealers have told me the same. yet over the ph they say bring it in, but when I do they say the "Warranty Clerk says "no! not covered"
My i-drive display under oil service shows both the mileage to oil change and the date for the oil change, e.g., "10/2012." When the date comes-around, my display says to have to oil changed,even if the mileage says I have a few thousand left to an oil change.

What does you i-drive say when you check for oil service?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
My i-drive display under oil service shows both the mileage to oil change and the date for the oil change, e.g., "10/2012." When the date comes-around, my display says to have to oil changed,even if the mileage says I have a few thousand left to an oil change.

What does you i-drive say when you check for oil service?
I will amplify- the language in the warranty says the car's "CBS" must be used to determine if the oil needs changing. It does not, however, say that it must display a 'change oil message'...just showing "1/2013" should be adequate to demand they change the oil in January of 2013.

Do people actually read that document in the glove box?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpcom View Post
so please give us the pge no, when I showed the Fremont CA dealer the war booklet the sa said the war booklet I showed him was for the Gas Engine cars yes I know this sounds insane but can't get the issue of the free oil change past the war clerks...?
also how did you contact BMWNA to have them tell you they will get back to you?? Sounds a lot like "THe check is in the Mail" I hope you're not sitting there holding your breath because of what some clerk told you, please names and phone nos.
Email is CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com and it took a while to get it resolved, in the end they did say that low mileage oil change is covered for diesels
Old 01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I do my oil at 5000 miles anyways…. which isn't covered.

That said, I always took it in at 10,000 mile intervals and they covered it under low mileage. Even got my brake pads and rotors done right before the warranty expired.