Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Hey i'm not here to argue. If you think BMS is the best tuner out there then great. I don't agree.

As for how many tunes Hartge's done? For the F10 platform alone they have 13 different models listed.

Here are before and after videos of *some* of the cars they've tuned http://www.youtube.com/user/hartgevideos/videos?view=0

Yeah so i'd say they know what they are doing when it comes to tuning BMW's.

When BMS starts doing full engine conversions and have some racing history under its belt then we'll talk

(btw those are all Hartge cars on the cover of those magazines)

OP sorry to thread jack. Now back to regular programming....

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 01-15-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Hey i'm not here to argue. If you think BMS is the best tuner out there then great. I don't agree.

As for how many tunes Hartge's done? For the F10 platform alone they have 13 different models listed.

Here are before and after videos of *some* of the cars they've tuned http://www.youtube.com/user/hartgevideos/videos?view=0

Yeah so i'd say they know what they are doing when it comes to tuning BMW's.

When BMS starts doing full engine conversions and have some racing history under its belt then we'll talk

(btw those are all Hartge cars on the cover of those magazines)

OP sorry to thread jack. Now back to regular programming....

Alan
They're all brand new is the point. But looking forward to seeing some reviews from customers before I get too excited. A piggyback is a piggyback and has nothing to do with full engine conversions...only so much that can be done on a piggyback.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
They're all brand new is the point. But looking forward to seeing some reviews from customers before I get too excited. A piggyback is a piggyback and has nothing to do with full engine conversions...only so much that can be done on a piggyback.
In concept yes. The information the piggyback feeds back to the car can have a very direct impact on how the car drives and feels. Especially with how advance the recent bmw ecu's have been. Too much boost and the car will do whatever it can to cut power. This is why almost every tune Bms and Vishnu offers is called "beta". Everything with these two company is beta. Its like their disclaimer for when/if sh*t hits the fan.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
In concept yes. The information the piggyback feeds back to the car can have a very direct impact on how the car drives and feels. Especially with how advance the recent bmw ecu's have been. Too much boost and the car will do whatever it can to cut power. This is why almost every tune Bms and Vishnu offers is called "beta". Everything with these two company is beta. Its like their disclaimer for when/if sh*t hits the fan.
I agree on the beta...the N63 (V8) tune is labelled as such and is giving me pause. Do you know if you purchase the beta tune, do they give you free updates when/if they make changes?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
+ 1 on Bodoxn and Alan L post. And, if you didn't get ARS (active roll stabilization) on you're car, you behind a few more points. How 'bout save the money you'd have to put into the 535i with dubious results and buy a used, purpose built track car for those weekends.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGray5 View Post
I agree on the beta...the N63 (V8) tune is labelled as such and is giving me pause. Do you know if you purchase the beta tune, do they give you free updates when/if they make changes?
Yes. When updates become available its free of charge to anyone. The problem is when updates will be available for the F10 535/550. The 535 tune has been in beta stage for months now and i don't believe BMS aka one man shop Terry has any F10's to work on so i wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Alan, you and RambleJ are my goto guys when it comes to tunes. He has a similar opinion to yours on the BMS tune. He was talking to me about a company in CA (forget the name) that reflashes the ECU but you have to send it to them.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiboyca View Post
Alan, you and RambleJ are my goto guys when it comes to tunes. He has a similar opinion to yours on the BMS tune. He was talking to me about a company in CA (forget the name) that reflashes the ECU but you have to send it to them.
I believe that is OE Tuning.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=667931

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)

Last edited by BigDeep1; 01-16-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEddie1 View Post
+ 1 on Bodoxn and Alan L post. And, if you didn't get ARS (active roll stabilization) on you're car, you behind a few more points. How 'bout save the money you'd have to put into the 535i with dubious results and buy a used, purpose built track car for those weekends.
I really didn't have any intentions of doing any mods to my car, hell it's a lease. I was just wondering what route others would go if they had that goal in mind. I actually started this thread the day before I took delivery of my car, and that was the first time I had driven a f10. I ordered it without even test driving it! So now that I have some miles under my belt, I now realize just how large this car is. It's big, and it's long. So I now understand why others simply don't put this car and cone racing in the same sentence. So now I think I will do what I've wanted to do for some time, and what you suggested above, and try to think more about getting a dedicated racer for the weekends.

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Like this?

E36 M3...best track/rally car BMW made for every day enthusiast (not my photo):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3 drift.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	357964  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenM3 View Post
I originally planned on getting a 335i because I wanted a car that I could track on the weekends, but ended up ordering a 535i once I got to thinking about squeezing my daughters into the car. But last night I was wondering how much you would have to mod a f10 535i to be able to have a car that is both faster in a straight line and around a scca cone course than a stock 335i. So how many, and which, mods do you think it would take to accomplish this?
I almost bought a 2012 F10 535i for $10k off MSRP before incentives last summer but didn't close the deal because of the handling of the F10(I came from a E39). For sure active steering and dynamic handling help a lot on F10, but technologies can only do that much to counter the weight and physics. Another wierd thing of F10 is that with 7+inch more wheelbase than e39, the interior shoulder room is still smaller than E39, and the rear leg room is not much improved over E39 and E60.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenM3 View Post
I really didn't have any intentions of doing any mods to my car, hell it's a lease. I was just wondering what route others would go if they had that goal in mind. I actually started this thread the day before I took delivery of my car, and that was the first time I had driven a f10. I ordered it without even test driving it! So now that I have some miles under my belt, I now realize just how large this car is. It's big, and it's long. So I now understand why others simply don't put this car and cone racing in the same sentence. So now I think I will do what I've wanted to do for some time, and what you suggested above, and try to think more about getting a dedicated racer for the weekends.
First - GREAT COLOR! Between that and the front tag (I still have mine on) I thought you stole my car!

I would have to disagree with you on size, its a matter of getting used to it. When I was the PCD I had some track time on a 550 and while it does take more patience and effort on the driver to put the car through its paces, the F10 is certainly capable.

yes, a smaller car is probably always going to be easier but that is true of every car - a go-cart goes great around a track.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM

335i vs F10?

Moot point for original poster but the comparison can go on just for info and what-ifs?
Here's an amusing video: