Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM
kppeters

Mein Auto: 2001 525i manual wagon
engine/alternator trouble

When my car is idling it drops to nearly stalling unless i rev the engine. Sometimes the engine will stall if I do not catch it in time. On 1/3 of those occasions when the car does stall, it will not restart for anywhere from 1 - 5 minutes. At other times the car runs just fine with no trouble. This trouble does not occur every time I drive the car and does not occur just when the car is cold. It can happen anytime and regardless of the engine temperature. I had the alternator go out two or three years ago. I had it rebuilt for a fraction of the cost of a new one and installed it with no trouble. The car was fine after that until about eight months ago when I finished up an errand, got into the car, drove to a stop sign, and it died. It would not start for nearly fifteen minutes. I went through the summer with no revving trouble, but occasionally the car would just not start. I finally went ahead and bought a new alternator and installed it. The car was fine for a time and then the trouble started with the RPMs dipping so low and the times it would just die. Once it died as I was slowing down to make a turn. I felt my steering wheel tighten up, looked down at my dash, and realized it had died. It started up right away then. My car is a manual transmission and I have owned it for 8 1/2 years. I love the car but I find myself feeling lucky every time it starts and I get home and back safely. I have three children so I do not want to get stranded. About four weeks ago, I started up the car one morning and the engine sounded horrible. Really rough and ragged. After that initial time, the rough sound went away for a week or two. Then it came back and now every time I turn on the engine it sounds bad and I can often hear an odd almost clicking sound (if I am standing outside the car) when the engine is idling. These are just a few of my problems. Any help that you all could give me would be great. I have other issues with the car but I can go into those at a different time.
Ads by Google