Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
hex bolt holding on rotor stuck

Hey all. I am trying to change out the rear bearing on my 325 and the hex bolt holding on the rotor is not budging. Any ideas on getting it off without damaging. Thanks all.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I typed /rotor F3 in the bestlinks and came up with this which may help:
- How to remove stuck rusted-on brake rotors (1) & how to remove a stuck 6mm brake rotor set screw (1)
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchasman View Post
Hey all. I am trying to change out the rear bearing on my 325 and the hex bolt holding on the rotor is not budging. Any ideas on getting it off without damaging. Thanks all.
Squirt it with PB blaster and let soak for 30 min or so. Then insert your hex socket into the bolt and pound the end of it with a big hammer a few times. Then turn, then hit it with a hammer again, and turn and so forth. Should break loose. If you have access to an impact wrench, set it to the low setting and try zapping it a few times with that.

Regardless of the method, the PB blaster soak makes all the difference!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
FYI if anyone ever has the chance to get their hands on some Kroil do it. Soaking with that magical substance has enabled me to get away with not using a blowtorch more times than I can remember. It's expensive and hard to come by but worth it.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Squirt it with PB blaster and let soak for 30 min or so. Then insert your hex socket into the bolt and pound the end of it with a big hammer a few times. Then turn, then hit it with a hammer again, and turn and so forth. Should break loose. If you have access to an impact wrench, set it to the low setting and try zapping it a few times with that.

Regardless of the method, the PB blaster soak makes all the difference!
The PB blaster is a must. I put the 6mm allen on an impact driver, whack it once, and it comes right out. I have this type Snap-On

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
And keep in mind if you break it off, it is a 'convenience' item. You can run without it with no problem. The wheel bolts are really what holds the rotor in place.