Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Car
Rattles

What are some common rattles on the E70?
Ads by Google
Old 07-26-2011, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 525i & 2006 X5 4.4i
We're on our second E70, and in both of them we have tracked down the same rattles. The backseat seat belts when no one is in the back seat rattle. They jiggle up and down on the little button that keeps the latch from sliding down the belt.

The other rattle in both was the back storage cover. On our first E70 we played with it by opening and closing it a bunch of times and it seemed to do the trick. We are still trying to get the new one to quit rattling. It may have to be replaced by dealer.

Oh, one other thing rattled occasionally. The side shade curtains would sometimes rattle after the kids opened them and played with them. By re-opening them and closing them smoothly, they would stop rattling.

Any other rattles were usually stuff we stored in the glove box or back storage box by the spare tire incorrectly.

2012 X5 3.5i MSport, Premium Pkg, Sat Radio, BMW Apps, Spare Tire (Added After Mkt)

Retired: 2008 X5 4.8i Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Climate Pkg, Technology Pkg, Auto Liftgate, Sat Radio, Heated Seats, Ipod Adapter.

Retired: 2006 X5 4.4i Premium Pkg, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Climate Pkg, Upgraded Sound Pkg, Navigation, 19" Star Wheels
Old 07-26-2011, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
There is some rattle from the back when I turn the car. Have been to the dealer twice - this time the rattle is from a different place.

Occasionally the plastic inside will "creak" or "snap". The rear view mirror creaks on bumps.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:53 AM
Lifetime Bimmer Fan

Mein Auto: 2012 535 xi GT
Dash Rattle

I have a rattle in the dash. I only hear it when I hit some sort of bump. Crack in the asphalt, expansion joint, etc. Doesn't have to be a big bump, even small ones. Something in that Dashboard vibrates. I plan to ask my dealer to look at it but I am not confidant they will be willing to disassemble the Dash to find it.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Wastegate rattle!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35I Premium
Baby rattles for people with children.
Rattlesnakes on the desert.
Shake, rattle and roll in Biil Haley's X5.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E70
E70 rattles and squeeks

1. Exhaust rattle
2. Driver's door rattle
3. Plastic surround on sat nav screen squeek
4. Sports seats' plastic bases squeek whenever taking a bend

It will be going in for its first service soon so I will see what they can do. I'm afraid that most of it will be down to poor quality trim and finish. Never had these issues on my 3 and 6 series (German built so may be another factor).

Anyone else had door issues?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:57 AM
is what life is ..

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5d
Driver's door upper trim, tailgate (well documented in this forum including a fix).

Present: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6
Present: 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Track)
Retired: 2007 Subaru Outback H6
Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 (e70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerVSR View Post
I have a rattle in the dash. I only hear it when I hit some sort of bump. Crack in the asphalt, expansion joint, etc. Doesn't have to be a big bump, even small ones. Something in that Dashboard vibrates. I plan to ask my dealer to look at it but I am not confidant they will be willing to disassemble the Dash to find it.
I have this one too, did you ever find it? for me it sounds like a metal bracket vibrating, it happens on uneven pavement at 75 mph, is that the same for you?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM
is what life is ..

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Refugee View Post
I have this one too, did you ever find it? for me it sounds like a metal bracket vibrating, it happens on uneven pavement at 75 mph, is that the same for you?
My dash rattle turned out to be the upper door panel level with the ext. mirror. The dealer removed the door panel, installed some sort of tape around it, lubed the plastic clips and joints. It's now gone. Interestingly, I swore it came from the dashboard.

Present: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6
Present: 1998 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (Track)
Retired: 2007 Subaru Outback H6
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: X6
Tailgate rattles (fix on here works but one needs to keep up to date with tape application) squeak around sat nav trim and worst of all creaking from the lower black trim on the B Pillars.

Going in for first service soon so will see what they can do but overall the quality of the trim is disgraceful on a car costing this much. Build quality is also poor in my view. I will probably trade at the earliest financial opportunity. I was going to go for an X6 but not if they are built in the same place?? My friend's VW Tiguan has better trim!

Great car built badly down to the lowest $
Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Repost..

While this car seems to have many little squeaks and rattles, the rear hatch one stands out for me. I can imagine most come from just tight fitting plastics, in a very nice, but firm ride..it's to be expected, especially being a wagon. The rear hatch noise sounds exactly like the hatch isn't completely closed. I took a closer look, without taking the whole thing apart..yet, I found that the catch, that the latch clamps onto, is a bit loose. I haven't popped into the dealer yet to ask them, so thought I'd throw it up on the board to see if this is normal. My hatch is NOT power. It also seems to wiggle more front to back than side to side, like it's not fastened tightly at the back of the catch. I've attached a pic of what is loose. Thanks for your help!

.................................................. ............................................

One more to add..dull knock sound coming from the B pillar where the seat belt is attached a swivels, when I move and it stops at its highest point. If you're not tall, it probably wouldn't hit, and make that noise. It sounded like it at first, but nothings loose, just the sound it makes. Other side does it as well. Darn ears, I hear everything LOL.

Also, never had such a squeaky, creaky seat, but with all the plastic trim to make it look pretty, it bound to happen.

I can't imagine the engineering that just goes into sound proofing!

Another pic of my loose latch..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0347.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	356025  
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
I don't own one yet but I expect my teeth to rattle.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhk View Post
Tailgate rattles (fix on here works but one needs to keep up to date with tape application) squeak around sat nav trim and worst of all creaking from the lower black trim on the B Pillars.

Going in for first service soon so will see what they can do but overall the quality of the trim is disgraceful on a car costing this much. Build quality is also poor in my view. I will probably trade at the earliest financial opportunity. I was going to go for an X6 but not if they are built in the same place?? My friend's VW Tiguan has better trim!

Great car built badly down to the lowest $
I agree with the poor trim observation on a car of this price. BMW seems to put all it's efforts into the drive, and you can't beat it. As for the Tiguan, which is part of the Audi family..I have yet to find a manufacturer that has a better product, fit and finish wise. With the newer BMW models coming off the line, hopefully that will change, time will tell. But they sure look great!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX5 View Post
Repost..

.................................................. ............................................

One more to add..dull knock sound coming from the B pillar where the seat belt is attached a swivels, when I move and it stops at its highest point. If you're not tall, it probably wouldn't hit, and make that noise. It sounded like it at first, but nothings loose, just the sound it makes. Other side does it as well. Darn ears, I hear everything LOL.

Also, never had such a squeaky, creaky seat, but with all the plastic trim to make it look pretty, it bound to happen.

I can't imagine the engineering that just goes into sound proofing!

Another pic of my loose latch..
The latch moving side to side is by design.
I had my dealer look at the rattle in tailgate and they were not able to remove it.
To remove the rattle, just wrap some electrical tape around the latch. That did the trick for me.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Something under the back seat on the drivers side. Back to the dealer twice, took it apart, added velvet tape. Still rattles, didn't feel like bringing it back. The rattle goes away when an adult sits on the rear seat.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Dealer just added the go to "velvet tape" in my passenger door area because of rattling . seems to have worked.
Gosh was this an annoying sound to listen to!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 01-14-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW X5 xDrive 3.0i
In my 2009 X5 3.0i there is a rattle coming from the dash area (it appears to be behind the dash, driver's side but I am not certain on this) when idling and only when outside temperature is above freezing. Rattle is present even when heater and AC are off and when in P, D, or N. It is just slightly more pronounced when in D. Rattle goes away at higher RPMs. I can only hear the rattle from inside the X5. Even with the hood up, I can't hear the rattle from outside. Last September I had a slight steering wheel vibration at idle but BMW Service center said it was normal. I am not sure if these are related but it certainly does not sound normal to me. The steering wheel vibration has now disappeared. It would be great if someone can point me in the right direction.

2007 BMW X3 3.0SI, Titanium Silver on Black Nevada, Technology, Premium, Winter, Premium Audio (Traded in)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
My music is usually too loud to hear any rattles…..

Though if I have the hood open, I can hear the engine rattle.