Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Complete Guide to Inpa I mean complete

Stuff you need
Windows XP
EasyBCD 2.2
Inpainstallation CD INPA
Adobe Reader
Imgburn
Windows 7 recovery CD
OBD.ini
FTDI drivers

Part 1. Installation of windows Xp
Make sure you have Partitioned your hard drive before you start
Step One
Put the Disc you made by using ImgBurn
Step 2
Upon Start Up hit F12 and choose CD Drive
Step 3
Select the empty partition
Step 4
Install Windows

Right about now you are thinking you're screwed because you can't boot to windows 7 anymore but now install EasyBCD 2.2 and you can edit the boot menu for dual boot. Try to boot into windows 7 you realize that it the boot path is corrupt and it won't boot. So insert the recovery CD it will do its magic and now you can Dual boot into Windows 7 or windows XP

Part 2 Installation of INPA
Step 1
Install INPA. What is very important is that you only install the first 2 check marks! I will get back to this but you must do this!

Step 2
Change the Path Be careful double check whether windows xp is C drive or D drive this tricked me up

Step 3
Now Run OBD and you will realize that some have the same values so you have to go into the registry and Edit some registry and also add some.

Step 4
Now you have to install the FTDI drivers

Step 5
Now Attach your K+DCAN OBD2 adapter your computer won't find any drivers So it will ask if you want to install them yourself say yes.

Step 6
Choose it yourself and find FTDI Port.cat

Step 7
It should pop up under the device Manager as COMx go into the properties and change it to COM1

Step 8
Download OBD.INI, This is major and you need to put it in Windows Folder

Step 9
Now make sure it works when you attach the OBD2 USB, Inpa will say Ignition on even though its not attached.

Step 10
Now install the other software in parts. For some reason if I tried to install to many at once it would fail

Now everything should be working smooth you might wonder why windows XP doesn't have WIFI simple go into windows 7 and download the drivers for your computer restart into Windows Xp and install the drivers.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert

Last edited by hh3uunp; 01-15-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Nice!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Cross reference to here:
Making sense of the most often recommended BMW diagnostic tools & cable interfaces (1) & BMW factory & dealer programming, coding, and diagnostic software such as INPA, EDIABAS, NCS Expert, DIS, EasyDIS, Progman (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) & related BMW diagnostic-tool forums (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Ball Don't lie

Anyone know of any file hosting sites I want to allow people to download all of the software in one stop
Old 01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
Anyone know of any file hosting sites I want to allow people to download all of the software in one stop
Quick99Si figured out the file hosting problem for the thread I referenced so the OP might wish to PM him to learn from his experience.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
OP:
Sounds like you have the home version of Win 7.

FYI:
Those w Win 7 professional or Ultimate don't need to manaully install windows XP o/s in a separate drive, and then create a dual boot in order to install INPA software.
Win 7 pro/ult has XP MODE.
Inside XP MODE, you can install INPA or any dinosaur 16 bit software that don't work in Win7.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto: 02 525I SPORT
Can this be use to remove the speed limit, or remapping?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 523i
Could u please give me your software package? talking about***********:

Inpainstallation CD INPA
OBD.ini
FTDI Drivers
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
I might have to try this. I had Dell600 with Window XP running INPA, SSProgmann but it's showing its age.
Thanks for sharing.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubbo View Post
Could u please give me your software package? talking about***********:

Inpainstallation CD INPA
OBD.ini
FTDI Drivers
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Ill try to get the others up
Old 01-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Ill try to get the others up
I just looked at that link, and the first few paragraphs point to downloading D2XX drivers to create a virtual comm port. Just an FYI: Win 7 Pro and Ult already has a feature to do this inside the Windows XP MODE. Basically, when you run the legacy 16bit software inside XP MODE, and you connect the comm port cable into your computer's USB port, there's a drop down tab at the top of XP MODE that allows XP softwares running inside XP MODE to directly connect the software to any hardware devices (USB, printing, WIFI, Camera, etc...) that's already loaded and working in the Win 7 hardware devices.

In a nutshell, those who want to run this software in XP MODE should first see whether the
software works w/o installing the D2XX drivers. I suspect that in XP MODE the virtual driver may not be required. FWIW....

Last edited by DHoang; 01-16-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Ball Don't lie

I have no idea what you're talking about. I do have windows 7 home premium which doesn't have windows xp mode. I like windows Xp very much because there are some other BMW OBD2 tools that only work with it. Plus Viruses don't carry over so if you have kids who like to download crap and slow down window 7 it won't mess up windows xp
Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
I have no idea what you're talking about. I do have windows 7 home premium which doesn't have windows xp mode. I like windows Xp very much because there are some other BMW OBD2 tools that only work with it. Plus Viruses don't carry over so if you have kids who like to download crap and slow down window 7 it won't mess up windows xp

I understand.
Comprehension isn't my forte neither.
TO reiterate, WIN XP MODE IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR WIN 7 PRO or ULTIMATE. YOu don't get this feature in Win 7 HOME. You need a license of Win 7 PRO OR ULTIMATE before you can use XP MODE.

I like win xp too. I have it as a dual boot on my play computer. But I rarely use it since XP MODE does EVERYTHING that Win XP o/s does. I'm just trying to point out that for those using pro or ultimate, your suggestions to install a dual boot and then downloading drivers to create a virtual comm port isn't required.
Relax dude...I'm not out to flame you. I'm just trying to show that there's an alternate way of doing this w/o creasting two o/s and eating up all the hard drive space.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Ball Don't lie

I'm great with technology. I can hack xboxes and crap but I don't think anyone can keep up with technology it moves to fast

Last edited by hh3uunp; 01-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:57 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to ian@jewelorjalopy
Mein Auto: 2000 540it Sport - sold
Thanks! I was trying to build a laptop and got stuck. I'm going to start over with these instructions instead.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 523i
I got it fixed!

I installed Virtualbox on my Windows 7 Professional (64bits).
Then i installed Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 on my virtual machine.

I've got a different INPA software, but it should actually work all the same way (INPA, EDIABAS, etc). It's called BMW Standard Tools.

After installing BMW Standard Tools, i installed an update (it was in my Referenz.2006 folder). It updates INPA and EDIABAS. (Look back at the topic's first post, the topic starter has a screenshot where he asks you to check the "Complete" box for INPA and EDIABAS. You can also select others for coding, etc but it's not neccesary if you only want to diagnose.) It's the exact same installation layout!

Now, the software starts up but you don't get any data at all (it give's non stop error's, when you try to diagnose, like fail to initialize).

I did follow the step to edit registry, i think this is a good start! Just edit the value's what is in your registry to the one in the screenshot (so you will get the same value's, its very easy).

Keep the COM port like it is, i mean if its COM3 or COM4, just leave it like that, only thing you got to do is change the obd.ini file in C:\EDIABAS\BIN\obd.ini , change the com port (if you dind't already) to the one you are using. If you are using COM3 and in the ini file it say's Com1, change it to Com3. Now, add the missing value's (check screenshot in first post!). Afterwards just start the car and plug cable, and it works.

Last edited by Wubbo; 01-17-2013 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
I installed it on Win & Home. It was a little workaround I found on youtube but it worked. I prefer VMware much much better though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHoang View Post

I understand.
Comprehension isn't my forte neither.
TO reiterate, WIN XP MODE IS ONLY AVAILABLE FOR WIN 7 PRO or ULTIMATE. YOu don't get this feature in Win 7 HOME. You need a license of Win 7 PRO OR ULTIMATE before you can use XP MODE.

I like win xp too. I have it as a dual boot on my play computer. But I rarely use it since XP MODE does EVERYTHING that Win XP o/s does. I'm just trying to point out that for those using pro or ultimate, your suggestions to install a dual boot and then downloading drivers to create a virtual comm port isn't required.
Relax dude...I'm not out to flame you. I'm just trying to show that there's an alternate way of doing this w/o creasting two o/s and eating up all the hard drive space.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
For Win7 Pro, you need to enable the Intel virtualization tech in the BIOS, otherwise it won't work (the WinXP mode).
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby