Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 2009 E60
How much do you think this M5 is worth?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/3545606351.html
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
The Car=$2000 Mostly because I hate everything about it

The Ad=priceless
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 01-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 525I
because of the nasty aftermarket lights, I would say $1
- 2003 525I Sedan - Manual Tranny, M-tech Bumpers Front/Rear, shadowline, M5 Mirrors, 19" Miro 279's, NNR Coilovers, Front lip, 50% tint, Dinan ECU Stage II, Dinan CAI, Dinan Free Flow Exhaust, DICE Ipod, Connects2/Parrot Bluetooth, SSK Kit, AC Schnitzer Shift Knob, CDV Delete,
- 2008 R350 Mercedes Wagon
- 1998 M3 Coupe - Manual Tranny, completely stock

Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
The combo of the paint job and crap lights suggest it was in a front end collision a while back. The dinan stuff is a nice bonus, but id check to see if the hre's are legit.

IMO by California standards, 14-15K, IF the car checks out mechanically and those wheels are authentic.

But that paint color is just awful IMO.

For Sale
E39 OEM Center Console Storage Trays [Click] $30

Last edited by Dking078; 01-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Ouch you guys are brutal... its not like headlights can not be replaced.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Isn't that paint similar to Laguna Blue? I don't see why there's so much "hating". He did capitalize "gorgeous"!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
The Car=$2000 Mostly because I hate everything about it

The Ad=priceless
At least it's not a ///Mposter like somebody's 540
Old 01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Roots View Post
At least it's not a ///Mposter like somebody's 540
Now you're trolling. At least I don't put non OEM stuff on my car
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 99 528i
it bugs the crap outta me when they dont show any pics of the interior, why do folks do that?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 03 530i Loaded
idk why people just love hating on craigslist ads. they guy is trying to sell the car so hes going to make it sound as good as possible. its human nature. IDK if i was seling my car i would make it sound as if it was the best e39 out there... and BTW that color is sexy idk why you guys are talking about it like that. its almost identical to lemans blue. just a little lighter. The car looks nice in my opinion. it has low milage. If it has not been in an accident. which i think it has because there is no other reason to repaint a car and change just the headlights. Then i would pay 14-15k as said before. And if you buy it. Tell the guy to keep the headlights lol.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post
idk why people just love hating on craigslist ads. they guy is trying to sell the car so hes going to make it sound as good as possible. its human nature. IDK if i was seling my car i would make it sound as if it was the best e39 out there...
I wouldn't. People are smarter than you may think and can easily smell thru BS ads. The more you need to use colorful adjectives to describe your car, the less likely I will be to respond. The best thing to sell a car is to give all the important details. What is the status of the title? What would a Carfax report? Give a short description of the true operation of each of the major components: engine, transmission, other driveline, brakes, suspension, steering, and all other electrical components, and AC. Post pictures from different angles plus interior. At least 4 high resolution pics, I think 8-12 is good. Undercarriage and shock tower pics are a plus. List the problem areas. If they are small, and that's it, a potential buyer would probably take that into consideration but not weigh heavily.

If someone made their car sound great, and when I got there I noticed something wrong, my first reaction would be "what else is he hiding?" I'd probably walk away.

If there really are problems with the car, expect to sell at a heavily discounted price, or fix before selling. Any car with front end repairs is instantly knocked down 40% in my book, even if professionally repaired. If that car had a front end collision, I wouldn't go above $8,000. Most likely I wouldn't even do that.

Usually when someone needs to make a reason for a sale in their ad, ie. "moving out of state" or "lost a job" this is a red flag too. That most likely is not the reason for the sale. It's more likely because the car was trouble. Look for a simple ad with the basics info and good pics. Then see the car and talk to the owner. Moving or loss of job may be a legit reason, but there is no need to put that in the ad. You'll be able to tell that better by meeting the seller in person, which brings me to my last point. Not only am I buying a car, but I'm also buying the maintenance history decisions, and driving habits of the previous owner. Does this person seem responsible and honest?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 PM

all im saying is these people are saying 1 dollar and 2 dollars... really.... lol. if the guy told you an 5k you wouldnt even go look at the car, you would run to the bank...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 PM
DINAN 5

Mein Auto: E39
looks like salvage title.... and looks like it's been rebuilt to very cheap standards. It's likely a nightmare. Not worth anywhere near $17k
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Owner says no accident w/ clean title. Thinking of trading my 525i + $7k for it...
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

I'm just curious why you all think it's been crashed or salvage? Because it has new paint and AM headlights?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:33 PM
DINAN 5

Mein Auto: E39
because paint job looks like earl scheib, i mean they just painted over EVERYTHING - who puts a $300 paint job on a E39 M5?

The headlights are chinese / ebay.... again... who does that?

Thats just the start... imagine what else is going on with the car... i promise you it won't just stop with paint and headlights
Old 01-15-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post
because paint job looks like earl scheib, i mean they just painted over EVERYTHING - who puts a $300 paint job on a E39 M5?

The headlights are chinese / ebay.... again... who does that?

Thats just the start... imagine what else is going on with the car... i promise you it won't just stop with paint and headlights
I swear I can't stand this guy... Look all I have to say is look at the car fax to make sure it has not been in a wreck. Because you can have 10 paint jobs and 1 dollar headlights and that don't mean nothing. What's your 525 specs? Because if its an 03 with sports pkg and everything and avg miles then your giving him too much. I wouldn't give more than 5k. Again that's if everything checks out. And plz make sure those wheels are authentic. Because that's 2k alone. Btw what the hell do you mean when you say they painted over everything??? I don't understand. Are you talking about the moldings??? Because your car is completely silver.... And I don't see you saying why did bmw paint the whole car silver...

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I'm glad this car can speak for itself, as the owner certainly can't write...

That being said it looks okay to me. The engine bay is clean and has good quality rubber which is something I look for. I alwas feel that someone who has shelled out dollars for good tyres is someone who takes care of their car.

I don't really like the blue and IMO any car that has been repained other than a touch up is usually worth less than an original example, unless finished to a high standard with documents.

You don't really know the mechanical condition or if there is serious accident damage unless you inspect it so all those posts are just speculation...

I'd probably also toss those headlights if it were mine.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 AM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomolka30 View Post
I wouldn't. People are smarter than you may think and can easily smell thru BS ads. The more you need to use colorful adjectives to describe your car, the less likely I will be to respond. The best thing to sell a car is to give all the important details. What is the status of the title? What would a Carfax report? Give a short description of the true operation of each of the major components: engine, transmission, other driveline, brakes, suspension, steering, and all other electrical components, and AC. Post pictures from different angles plus interior. At least 4 high resolution pics, I think 8-12 is good. Undercarriage and shock tower pics are a plus. List the problem areas. If they are small, and that's it, a potential buyer would probably take that into consideration but not weigh heavily.

If someone made their car sound great, and when I got there I noticed something wrong, my first reaction would be "what else is he hiding?" I'd probably walk away.

If there really are problems with the car, expect to sell at a heavily discounted price, or fix before selling. Any car with front end repairs is instantly knocked down 40% in my book, even if professionally repaired. If that car had a front end collision, I wouldn't go above $8,000. Most likely I wouldn't even do that.

Usually when someone needs to make a reason for a sale in their ad, ie. "moving out of state" or "lost a job" this is a red flag too. That most likely is not the reason for the sale. It's more likely because the car was trouble. Look for a simple ad with the basics info and good pics. Then see the car and talk to the owner. Moving or loss of job may be a legit reason, but there is no need to put that in the ad. You'll be able to tell that better by meeting the seller in person, which brings me to my last point. Not only am I buying a car, but I'm also buying the maintenance history decisions, and driving habits of the previous owner. Does this person seem responsible and honest?
Yes very true.. smart man here ^^

Quote:
Owner says no accident w/ clean title. Thinking of trading my 525i + $7k for it...
i dont understand why he would trade you if needs money? Maybe he still wants E39.. just a smaller engine better gas mileage and cheaper maintenance. ? All i could think of...
Mehhhhh f*ck it i say go for it.. go get 7 cash out the bank tomorrow ride over there swap titles and keys.. Go home and order umnitzas new V4 headlights and boom call it day...

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 02:10 AM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomolka30 View Post

True, smart man here ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post
I swear I can't stand this guy... Look all I have to say is look at the car fax to make sure it has not been in a wreck. Because you can have 10 paint jobs and 1 dollar headlights and that don't mean nothing. What's your 525 specs? Because if its an 03 with sports pkg and everything and avg miles then your giving him too much. I wouldn't give more than 5k. Again that's if everything checks out. And plz make sure those wheels are authentic. Because that's 2k alone. Btw what the hell do you mean when you say they painted over everything??? I don't understand. Are you talking about the moldings??? Because your car is completely silver.... And I don't see you saying why did bmw paint the whole car silver...
Mike funny as sh*t
and non painted body trim is uglyyyyyyyyy.. makes car look old, ashy, and cheap... Everybody go paint there body trim right now !

Quote:
i just dont understand why this man would trade you if he needs money ?
unless he still wants a E39, just one with a smaller engine better gas mileage, and less $$ on maintenance.. thats all i could come up with
Mehhhhh F*ck it go get 7 grand out the bank tomorrow, Go meet up with the guy swap titles and keys, drive home and buy some umnitza New v4 headlights and call it a day
o and is it just me... or are the mirrors a different color?

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Last edited by LalaRay; 01-16-2013 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 AM

Mein Auto: 94 325is
Sick m5 I wouldn't give him 7k though that's too much .. With all the extra money he's prolly gonna go buy Aset of those Chinese headlights for every car he owns and his friends and **** haha .. All joking aside I would go check the car out first hand to get your own personal opinion before asking anyone else your going to be driving it not them , if you like it buy it drive it .. Def toss the headlights though I know you've heard it more than once
Old 01-16-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 00/M5
I would walk away, 530HP description + full non-OEM paint scheme + headlights = this car was in some kind of trouble in the past (bad ownership and /or accident).

Also 17,5K for 2000 with 100,000 miles is too much money. If you want M5 - do your research on M5forum, you'll find a lot of useful and important info out there.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
530hp? Lulz. Not worth more than 10K.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Eventhough the hedious headlights can be replaced, paint color can be lived with, the owner is asking too much for it.

03 DINAN 540iA M-Sport (my DD), 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)
Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

FS: E39 Technical Graphite trim kit http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...46#post8062746
Old 01-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Painted trim looks like crap unless it came like that. Contrast anyone??? black moldings done right look great. Plus they are impact strips and the plastic doesnt chip off like the paint would. I agree with the logic that a Nice car such as an M5 with $100 ebay special headlights and a suave paint job was probably wrecked. Carfax?? HAHAHAHA WTF do you think carfax is?? DEQ trips, title transfers, and REPORTED ACCIDENTS, If you dont report it it wont show, wont brand the title, as if nothing happend.. If nothing happend then why the fast and furious paint job? why the crap headlights? Its becoming clear that the purist BMW owners are becoming a thing of the past... With all the ricy **** going on these cars now its like slapping BMW in the face saying the E39 wasnt good enough in the first place.

Last edited by Nline6; 01-16-2013 at 09:15 AM.