Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-13-2008, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci M Sport Conv
Unhappy water leak in trunk/boot

I have a 2005 330ci convertible, and for the last year every time it rains heavily the trunk has water in it. Whilst it was under warranty BMW water tested it but could not find the problem. BMW replaced the trunk gasket, resealed bumper vents, but the trunk still leaks!!! Does anyone have any idea where the water is coming in? Pleeeeeassee
Ads by Google
Old 07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 09 Freightliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark17 View Post
I have a 2005 330ci convertible, and for the last year every time it rains heavily the trunk has water in it. Whilst it was under warranty BMW water tested it but could not find the problem. BMW replaced the trunk gasket, resealed bumper vents, but the trunk still leaks!!! Does anyone have any idea where the water is coming in? Pleeeeeassee
Was the rear screen ever replaced? I seem to recall someone had one fitted that was not 100% and determined it was the leak source.

Just a thought.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:26 AM

Thanks for reply, but no, the rear screen has never been replaced. Everthing on the car is original. Anybody else had a similar problem, i'm getting desperate!!!!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
I found this posted in the BMW convertible yahoo group:

Quote:
I had the same exact problem. My issue was that I had clogged drain
holes in the convertable top bay area. The holes in my 2004 are under
the main vert top mount. I am not sure where they are on your car.

To see if that is you problem, crank the top back half way look in the
main mounting area in the top bay to see if there is standing water.
If so, you holes are clogged. The water should drain out pretty
quickly if the holes are not clogged.
You can find the group at http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwconvertible/ You'll have to join to read the posts. The above quoted post is #2170.

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 07-15-2008, 10:06 AM

many thanks for the advice - i just washed my car and left the hose running for 5 minutes on the soft top. Once it had dried i opened the roof halfway and - guess what - a large puddle of water! An hour later the water had disappeared, sure enough into the boot! My dealer is taking the car in next week, so hopefully they can cure it this time! As it in now not under warranty they've said that we will have to pay if they can't find anything - so you've hopefully saved us a lot of money!!!! Many thanks once again
Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: PA
I think this MUST be a BMW issue. I have a 2006 X3 with the same problem. My X3 has been in the shop for 2 repairs so far--the latest one was 4 weeks long. They thought it was the moonroof gasket, but last Sat. I picked it up and we had a heavy rain on Wednesday and here I am again with a huge puddle in the passenger rear boot area. It is back at the dealership AGAin. Not to mention the constant mildew odor that I can't bear. My daughter has a 2004 X3 with the exact problems--she is taking the vehicle for her 4th time!! I just want to trade it in, but I have had it for only 4 months and will have a huge financial loss, I suppose. I am at my wits end. Water drains have all been "checked" and no resolution of the problem. I have driven loaner cars more than my own! HELP!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 330ci
How much was the cost to fix the leaking by the dealer? I have the same problem and want to get it fixed.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
esteban1

You do not need to go to a dealer to get this corrected. You have to clean out the drains in the rear corners of the well that the vert top fits into. As prev mentioned open the top partially till the cover comes up. Then using either compressed air or a very fine wire (guitar string works well) snake or blow the drain lines located in the rear corners clean. Should then flow freely preventing leaks into trunk.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofpurr View Post
I think this MUST be a BMW issue. I have a 2006 X3 with the same problem. My X3 has been in the shop for 2 repairs so far--the latest one was 4 weeks long. They thought it was the moonroof gasket, but last Sat. I picked it up and we had a heavy rain on Wednesday and here I am again with a huge puddle in the passenger rear boot area. It is back at the dealership AGAin. Not to mention the constant mildew odor that I can't bear. My daughter has a 2004 X3 with the exact problems--she is taking the vehicle for her 4th time!! I just want to trade it in, but I have had it for only 4 months and will have a huge financial loss, I suppose. I am at my wits end. Water drains have all been "checked" and no resolution of the problem. I have driven loaner cars more than my own! HELP!!!

Are you sure it is not the moonroof drains? I would contact BMW NA before trading it in. You should not have to trade it in because of dealer incompetence. Have the regional manager look at it. Be persistant B*TCH like crazy. This really sounds like roof drains because the water sits up there and when you accelerate it leaks down. any wetness on the headliner?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 328ic
Convertible well leaks into trunnk

I have had my 1999 328ic in the shop several times every year since 2002 because the trunk becomes soaked whenever it rains hard. YESTERDAY BMW Service & Parts informed me that according to BMW NA this car has a known design flaw. The well where the convertible top is stored (not the well around the trunk) has 2 forward drains; aft there are 2 small cups sealed with grommets. While the grommets don't leak, the lip along the back of the well is sufficiently low as to allow water to flow unfettered right over into the trunk.

BMW's Solution after 7 years: Park my car on a hill with the front facing downhill so that the water cannot gather at the back of the well and has time to flow out of the forward drains.

I don't ever recall having to park my parents' Fords this way.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330 cic
water leak to the trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
esteban1

You do not need to go to a dealer to get this corrected. You have to clean out the drains in the rear corners of the well that the vert top fits into. As prev mentioned open the top partially till the cover comes up. Then using either compressed air or a very fine wire (guitar string works well) snake or blow the drain lines located in the rear corners clean. Should then flow freely preventing leaks into trunk.
hi , thanks for all the info ... i have the same problem on my 330 cic 2001 ..some how i was not able to locate the clogged drains ..does any one have close up picks or can some one be specific where to look .
thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 330 CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy330cic View Post
hi , thanks for all the info ... i have the same problem on my 330 cic 2001 ..some how i was not able to locate the clogged drains ..does any one have close up picks or can some one be specific where to look .
thanks
I would love to see pics as well.

I just got my car a few days ago. I'm going to hunt for the drains later today. If I find them, I will take pics and post them.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: norfolk
hi m8 have the same leaking in boot did u solve it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwich328 View Post
I have had my 1999 328ic in the shop several times every year since 2002 because the trunk becomes soaked whenever it rains hard. YESTERDAY BMW Service & Parts informed me that according to BMW NA this car has a known design flaw. The well where the convertible top is stored (not the well around the trunk) has 2 forward drains; aft there are 2 small cups sealed with grommets. While the grommets don't leak, the lip along the back of the well is sufficiently low as to allow water to flow unfettered right over into the trunk.

BMW's Solution after 7 years: Park my car on a hill with the front facing downhill so that the water cannot gather at the back of the well and has time to flow out of the forward drains.

I don't ever recall having to park my parents' Fords this way.
e46 convertible 2001 roof leaking arrrhh

hi mate did u solve this problem as its driving me nuts water is leaking into boot area and roof compartment ive ordered a new seal for lid of roof compartment but i think its more than that did you manege to get to drainige holes without removing roof lid and brackets please advise you know how this one feels just feel like getting the fishing rod out and fishing whilst i drive lol..please helpppppppp......
Old 11-01-2009, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
I've got a lake in the boot too, just had enough of it, going to buy gold fish tomorrow...... any help would be appreciated , cheers guys
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 1.9 M Roadster
I have the same problem but I've identified the problem! Its the third brake light on the boot! you will find that it has a rubber seal around the light but mine has worn and water is getting through the gap and going straight through into the boot...

I'd check yours. Hope this helps
Old 04-04-2010, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: 330 ci
Hi everyone same problem but can not find the drain holes i have a 330 ci 2001 i have just emptied about 6 litres out of the boot and battery box can anyone tell me where the drain holes exit as i do not want to start taking the roof off to get at the drain holes which i have been told are under the hinges any help would be appreciated
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallynut01 View Post
Hi everyone same problem but can not find the drain holes i have a 330 ci 2001 i have just emptied about 6 litres out of the boot and battery box can anyone tell me where the drain holes exit as i do not want to start taking the roof off to get at the drain holes which i have been told are under the hinges any help would be appreciated
The drain holes ARE under the hinges, they are just very difficult to find. From what I have heard and read, you have to get a flexible and bendable wire and fish it under the hinges to find the drain holes. They are there, just very difficult to locate. One guy who got frustrated at not finding them used liquid plumber to unclog his drain holes. According to him it did work, but I do not know if paint was damaged, and you proceed with this at your own risk. Keep probing with the wire and you should find them. Good luck, and please post back with results.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:44 AM

water in boot

Hi all i have just had my car in my workshop to sort this problem and found it very easy to take the roof off and clean the holes properly took about two hours from start to finish job done very happy will probably have to do this again in a few monthes but have no concearns about doing it again found some very usefull instructions an e46 fanatics well worth a look for anyone else that has this problem a dealer will charge between £500 and £800 to do it anyone with mild diy skills will save them self loads of money
Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Hi all i have just had my car in my workshop to sort this problem and found it very easy to take the roof off and clean the holes properly took about two hours from start to finish job done very happy will probably have to do this again in a few monthes but have no concearns about doing it again found some very usefull instructions an e46 fanatics well worth a look for anyone else that has this problem a dealer will charge between £500 and £800 to do it anyone with mild diy skills will save them self loads of money
Do you have a link to the instructions you found on fanatics? That would be very useful info. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 AM

water in boot

Hi
Link for sorting water problem it is very easy to do and will save you a small fortune

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=700932
Old 04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Hi
Link for sorting water problem it is very easy to do and will save you a small fortune

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=700932
Thanks for posting the link! I'm sure that this will be very helpful as it seems several people per month have this problem. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330ci Convertible
Dont take hood off till you have tried this!

Ok, after reading all the above, I dreaded the thought of taking the roof and mechanism off. This is something I tried as a last resort, in the dark, in the drisseling rain, and it worked, and it saved me £600-£800, and it only took 5 mins max!! Get a kettle of boiling water and poor into both areas where the roof mechanism is bolted (goto link above to see pictures). If the drains are clear, you will see steam and water coming out from beneath the wheel arch. If not, fill the blocked side area up with about an inch of boiling water and wait for a couple of minutes for the heat to do its stuff. While waiting, get a length of 3 core wire (the stiff stuff) and strip off the grey insulation. Take one core, the blue for example and strip about 10mm off the end, so you can see the copper core. Bend the core over 90 degrees so you have a little right angle hook. Go back to the car and slide the wire under the mechanism from the back of the car, pointing to the front. Once under the mechanism, twist 90 degrees so you can imagine the hook pointing down towards the ground and wiggle!! Within a couple of seconds there was a gushing noise, and all the water disappeard, drains cleared!! Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked for me, worth a try!! If anyone doesn't understand this, I will try and take photos and post. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardherts View Post
Ok, after reading all the above, I dreaded the thought of taking the roof and mechanism off. This is something I tried as a last resort, in the dark, in the drisseling rain, and it worked, and it saved me £600-£800, and it only took 5 mins max!! Get a kettle of boiling water and poor into both areas where the roof mechanism is bolted (goto link above to see pictures). If the drains are clear, you will see steam and water coming out from beneath the wheel arch. If not, fill the blocked side area up with about an inch of boiling water and wait for a couple of minutes for the heat to do its stuff. While waiting, get a length of 3 core wire (the stiff stuff) and strip off the grey insulation. Take one core, the blue for example and strip about 10mm off the end, so you can see the copper core. Bend the core over 90 degrees so you have a little right angle hook. Go back to the car and slide the wire under the mechanism from the back of the car, pointing to the front. Once under the mechanism, twist 90 degrees so you can imagine the hook pointing down towards the ground and wiggle!! Within a couple of seconds there was a gushing noise, and all the water disappeard, drains cleared!! Maybe I was just lucky, but it worked for me, worth a try!! If anyone doesn't understand this, I will try and take photos and post. Good luck.

Richard,

If you have the photos, by all means please post. Many convertible owners have this same problem, and have trouble visualizing where the drains are exactly. Glad the wire trick worked for you! Thanks, and welcome to the Fest!
Old 06-17-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330 Ci
E46 Drain hole unblocking solution

I've read all sorts of threads on this topic after spending 6 months of regularly drying out a wet boot floor. I found out that my nearside drain hole was blocked. I did the boiling water thing and the piece of wire as described and after about 30 mins of wiggling, hey presto, water eventually drained out of the cavity and down onto the floor, excellent result and great advice. I personally don't think the partial dismantling solution is needed after my experience.. I saved so much time and money..I'll tackle anyone's at a reasonable price ..

Last edited by task59; 06-17-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Not finished
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci, e30 325i
Unclogged like a boss

For months i thought i had a leak somewhere, until i found you guys lol never knew there were drainage holes, so yesterday i unclogged them nicely using one of those wires that you hang curtains on, and what really worked for me was a baby-bottle brush. All of this while adding boiling water, easy-peasy, i suggest trying that before removing any parts.. Thanks guys