Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i coupe
sap in clear coat on a lease

I got tons of sap/pecan oil on my car in the summer in Austin, TX. I got baked in 100+ degree weather for about 17 days.

Very little came off. I went to couple of detailers. One tried clay and buffing. Most of it is not going to come off I presume.

There is a lot of it from front to back.

It's a lease, but if I turn it in will BMW charge me and how much will it cost to "fix" that problem?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
Not easy after 17 days of a good baking so you're right.

I'd start with mineral spirits or wd-40 or Stoner's Traminator on a cloth taped onto a tar blob. Let it dwell for 15 - 20 min. That'll soften the surface a bit.
Then I'd use a plastic razor blade. Yup, there is such a thing. The plastic blade should be able to remove the top slightly soft section. Then repeat the process with more fluid, more dwell time, more working the surface.
Eventually you're going to get it off.

It's critical you let the above fluids dwell on the sap, otherwise it's never going to soften. That's why I mentioned the cloth and tape.
Try a small area first and by all means, go buy a spray can of Stoner's Tarminator. It's great stuff, not magic stuff, but it works well on sap, tar, etc, if it's sort of fresh.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i coupe
thanks for the suggestions. Its not even sort of fresh now. This happened in August.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
If you can't get your hands on plastic razor blades, try the edge of a credit card. Preferrably one of the wife's.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz3mc View Post
Not easy after 17 days of a good baking so you're right.

I'd start with mineral spirits or wd-40 or Stoner's Traminator on a cloth taped onto a tar blob. Let it dwell for 15 - 20 min. That'll soften the surface a bit.
Then I'd use a plastic razor blade. Yup, there is such a thing. The plastic blade should be able to remove the top slightly soft section. Then repeat the process with more fluid, more dwell time, more working the surface.
Eventually you're going to get it off.

It's critical you let the above fluids dwell on the sap, otherwise it's never going to soften. That's why I mentioned the cloth and tape.
Try a small area first and by all means, go buy a spray can of Stoner's Tarminator. It's great stuff, not magic stuff, but it works well on sap, tar, etc, if it's sort of fresh.
This is solid info here and I couldn't have said it better. I use Stoners Tarminator on motorcycle details and it's the bomb..it will not harm the paints surface.

Its Going To Cost How Much???????