Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0d 2004
Exhaust smell in the cabin

Hi again all well it seems like my car is falling apart literally.

I have an exhaust smell in the cab and with the bonet open I can see fumes coming out from the outlet side of the engine.

I have have had people say Exhaust manifaold could be cracked or the gascket gone.

Any other ideas before I start to get mechanics to stripp down the side of the engine to fix the problem??

Thanks from MR X5 owner broke!!
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 AM

Anyone please ......
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Seems as if it would be a cracked manifold or worn out gasket. Can you hear the engine ticking while under the hood from the exhaust manifold side? If yes then you have an exhaust leak somewhere. As far as fumes entering the cabin, again logical because I had a small oil leak after replacing my valve cover gaskets. I though all was well until I could smell a strong burning smell after driving. Open the hood and its smoking lightly on the right bank. I let it cool down, run my hand around back and felt the gasket warped and spilling oil. I used a mirror and thought I felt it correctly during install, but no. The thing is I couldn't understand why the smell would reach the cabin if the odor is under the hood. So my point is is that it is possible to get fumes in the cabin with the recirc on the a/c controls set to auto. If you are getting an exhaust smell its likely the manifold or gasket. The 3 liter diesel is no different from the gas 8 in terms of what exhaust gas smells like in the cabin, so that would be my guess.
Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 PM

exhaust manifold

Well yes you were right and thanks for the heads up.

Exhaust manifold it was. 790 ouch.

Can I ask if you would have any logical reasons as to why it would crack.?

I guess the obvious could be manufacturing fault, however curious to know of anything else could cause it.

Cheers for the response.

Jay
Old 01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay72 View Post
Can I ask if you would have any logical reasons as to why it would crack.?
Continuous hot exhaust gasses with different fuel additives/types over the years. They try to expand as heat builds, then they cool off. They get rusted and soften over time as the metal wears away, eventually leading to a crack in a weak point or high stress area. Not sure what type of metal it is, but I'm sure it's light to reduce engine weight and can only be prone to cracks much sooner than heavier metals.
Be sure to check your engine mounts too. Excess vibrations can only put it under more stress.