Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
That guy was Jay Leno, back before he took over Johnny Carson`s spot on the Tonight Show....
Yeah, but remember Leno was the highest paid comedian in the US for years before he took over the tonight show. WSJ did a feature article on him back then and reported that he earned like $800K a year. Saw him live myself back then and he was one of the best acts I ever saw.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Yeah, seriously....back when they still had the NYC Auto Show at the Coliseum, my roomie and I were at the Ferrari exhibit, we were discussing the finer points of the cars with a rather unkempt-looking guy, with shaggy hair, 3 days worth of beard, and wearing a red & black plaid wool lumberjack`s jacket.
That guy was Jay Leno, back before he took over Johnny Carson`s spot on the Tonight Show....
One year, the father of a kid who worked at my shop worked for Ferrari NA. He got me on the list and me and my two buddies got behind the velvet rope at the display at the auto show. We were all dressed pretty casually, having just come from a bike race in Brooklyn, but the salesman took us very seriously and spent lots of time explaining the features on the then new 360.

First rule of retail ( I learned a long time ago): assume everyone you talk to has a black card burning a hole in their pocket and work backwards from there. Never judge based on looks, they could be a rock star, Internet millionaire or trustafarian. I was shocked when I went into a very fancy local BMW dealer to buy oil this year ( it was on sale) and as I wondered around looking at new cars on a slow day, not a single salesperson said a word to me. I bet places like that lose more sales than they know about.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 01-14-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
My local indie quoted me $335 for an oil filter housing gasket, guess I better jump on it.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
$335 for an oil filter housing gasket??? You do know that the gasket itself costs what...$5?

See this is why you must learn to DIY. Either that or I should become a mechanic.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
@skwidrific I see you are in Centerville. I live in Fairfax, and since I don't have anywhere to work on my car besides oil changes and other routine stuff, I go to an Indy. Unfortunately in the NoVA area everything is exceptionally expensive, but I've been really happy with the service I receive at Autoscandia. They are courteous, polite, and honest and much cheaper than the dealer. Sure they are more expensive than some indy's out there but I like the service, so I'm willing to pay a little more. You might want to give them a call. Another option is Road Race Tech in Chantilly. They've done some work on my car in the past and were generally nice and knowledgeable, but to far away from me to be worth the trip.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
$335 for an oil filter housing gasket??? You do know that the gasket itself costs what...$5?

See this is why you must learn to DIY. Either that or I should become a mechanic.
Not everyone has the time or space to do this type of work on a weekend. Besides if you screw something up and only have 1 car, you are going to be in trouble come Monday when its time to go to work.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 AM
Function over fashion

Mein Auto: 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkibasara View Post
Not everyone has the time or space to do this type of work on a weekend. Besides if you screw something up and only have 1 car, you are going to be in trouble come Monday when its time to go to work.
I find myself in this position more now that I have a 5 month old boy to cart around. I can't just disable my car for a few days waiting for a part to come in, not to mention my free time is basically zero. That being said I have learned to manage my time better and I schedule a few hours here and there to do the maintenance on my car as needed, whenever possible. When I have to go to an indy shop, I know the guys there and I often bring beer with my payment, so if I need a favor I'm sure they'd try to squeeze me in in an emergency.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkibasara View Post
I see your point, still though my mind just can't reconcile that cost. These cars can be quite financially punishing without DIY.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:23 AM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
it looks like a very reasonable estimate for a high milage e46. don't pay attention to those talking **** about dealer employees. they are not crooks like many places they have employees that are not very smart and do stupid ****

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
I see your point, still though my mind just can't reconcile that cost. These cars can be quite financially punishing without DIY.
Totally agree. I still DIY things like fluid changes (Oil, coolant, differential, etc.) and things like spark plugs, but if I need control arms or shocks my time is worth more to me than my money.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Device Under Test

Mein Auto: '04 325xi
Attached is my quote for $5102.01 worth of work.

A few of the things on this list are the same as the OP's list but cheaper. But, the OP does live in NoVA and everything costs 120% as much there.

Dealerships will always try to get you with something. I'm having them replace my center driveshaft bearing right now, but if you look at the list they wanted to replace my oil cap and there's no reason for that. I like the diagnostic sheets, but you really have to wade through it and tell them what you want and what you don't. A lot of the prices aren't bad, they just throw a bunch of unnecessary stuff in there. Jiffy Lube does the same thing, they're just not as smart about it...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 325xi_SunMC_eval.PDF (686.2 KB, 46 views)

Enough miles to make it to the moon... Here's to getting home.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to mickey513
Mein Auto: e46
The oil filter housing gasket cost me $102 at a local independent, $120 for the fuel filter.

- $7 for the gasket, $95 to to replace it (1 hour time )
- $60 for the fuel filter, $60 to replace it (half hour)

Remember when you going to a dealership, EVERYONE you basically talk to needs to get paid. The secretary, car porter, service writer, mechanic, car wash boy, owner etc.,

When you go to a independent shop, the mechanic is usually the owner, so you pay one guy only.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
A buddy of mine went in for an oil change for $70 on a flyer too. He brought me the recommended work they told him he needed for $3200. I did it ALL for $800 parts and labor. This is why I refuse to go to the dealer for ANYTHING. Besides, I have forgotten more about my E46 than they have learned.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
I had a Dodge dealership pull some similar BS so it isn't just the BMW dealers that try to ... how did Fast Bob put it ... "resize your rectum prison style"

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Hey, nothing wrong with that. I get the same type of quotes, to which I say, thank you. Let's hold off until the next time I'm here.

I'm too old to get excited about working on cars. Repairs don't satisfy my ego anymore. I rather take the chance by handing the work over to a local mechanic for 1/2 the quoted price, unless the job is a major repair.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, theres a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
The labor rate is that high to cover the cost of the salesman. It doesn't make sense to have a mechanic be a writer if the shop is busy enough and that's where the writers came from. The last time I was at the dealer the writer was wearing a very Nice Rolex and a suit and tie. No Thanks.