Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-15-2013, 08:31 PM
BMWs since '87

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi (LCI)
Wow, that's some expensive hood. Still, a bent hood wouldn't cause frame damage.

I can't imagine running practically the whole length of the car along something and not noticing. Even if you had the music up to 11, surely you'd FEEL it.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
The only number left is $6999 + tax. It looks easy to fix, with no mechanical work unless the front suspension needs replacing. My body shop tore my car down to what your car looks like just to start the repairs.
GL
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Maintainin'

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Damn, thats messed up man. Women drivers SMH, the important thing is that you are ok and no one else got hurt thank god. As fra as the damage I would say 5-7k.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
I wanted to iterate my original estimate of $8K to $10K did not account for hood replacement. The hood can likely be repaired, it is an aluminum hood so it would be extremely costly to replace. Do make sure that the lady's insurance company does not try to make you take a steel hood (made for BMWs, but not by BMW) and that you get an aluminum hood if your car came with an aluminum hood. I'm surprised the hood only costs $2K, I was thinking it would cost around $4k painted and installed. This would make a difference.

Also, you may want to have your insurance company handle the repairs.

In CA, you can choose which body shop you want to use (within reason), I presume you can as well in CO. Naturally, choose a reputable body shop.

I highly doubt you'll have any problems with suspension. Also highly doubt you'll have any frame damage, but we'll see. Once again, not claiming to be an expert.

Wishing you all the best!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 09 528i
$6500....
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
Also, you may want to have your insurance company handle the repairs.
Patrick, say more about this please; I'm not sure what you mean. At this point, the other driver was at fault, so the claim is with her insurance company. Mine is not involved. Short of trying to make a collision claim against my own insurance policy, how would I have my insurance company handle the repairs?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545iA
Hey Will. Meant to get back to that. Sometimes it's easier to work with your company, especially if the other party's insurance company is one of those really small ones.

Basically, you can work with your insurance company and have them send over the bill to the other party. Your insurance will not increase because you're completely not at fault, and they will already find out about the incident through the other insurance company even though you didn't contact them.

Sometimes it's easier to work with your own insurance company who has your better interest at heart than the other party's insurance who does not have to be polite over the phone (who are you going to complain to?) when your insurance company's agent has to work with you, promptly return your calls (or potentially get an infraction on their job record), and provide you with a reasonable level of service.

Lastly, make sure you choose the most reputable body shop in town to fix your car. Find a shop that you're comfortable working with, not the other party's insurance. Do your research here, find the best one you can find.

And last but not least, you need to be able to be covered for a full size 4 door 5 seater car by the at-fault's insurance company. Try your best to get a reasonable rental, and don't let them put you into a car that is too small. They don't need to rent you a BMW, but a full size 4 door 5 seater is definitely something you can ask for.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_y View Post
Hey Will. Meant to get back to that. Sometimes it's easier to work with your company, especially if the other party's insurance company is one of those really small ones.

Basically, you can work with your insurance company and have them send over the bill to the other party. Your insurance will not increase because you're completely not at fault, and they will already find out about the incident through the other insurance company even though you didn't contact them.

Sometimes it's easier to work with your own insurance company who has your better interest at heart than the other party's insurance who does not have to be polite over the phone (who are you going to complain to?) when your insurance company's agent has to work with you, promptly return your calls (or potentially get an infraction on their job record), and provide you with a reasonable level of service.

Lastly, make sure you choose the most reputable body shop in town to fix your car. Find a shop that you're comfortable working with, not the other party's insurance. Do your research here, find the best one you can find.

And last but not least, you need to be able to be covered for a full size 4 door 5 seater car by the at-fault's insurance company. Try your best to get a reasonable rental, and don't let them put you into a car that is too small. They don't need to rent you a BMW, but a full size 4 door 5 seater is definitely something you can ask for.
Understood. Geico is her company; they seem to be handling everything the way they should be at this point. The claim administrator did sell me very heavily on using their body shop when we were processing the claim - but there is only one BMW certified body shop in Colorado and that is where the car will be going.

Appreciate the input.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Nothing to see here...

Mein Auto: '08 535i
My best guess -- $10,500. Looks like the damage is cosmetic -- not structural -- which should keep the total cost down.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophool View Post
Even if you had the music up to 11, surely you'd FEEL it.
Phone up to her ear, is what I'm thinking. But I didn't see.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 07' 550i
So what is verdict?

BMW CCA Member, Capital Chapter
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 08 550i
Yikes! Insurance may just total it. If you are strapped for cash then just buy it back from insurance if (cheap) and replace with mtech style bumper. Headlights should still work. Straighten the hood and metal parts yourself. That is what I would have done if there is no frame damage which looks like it.
Active Steering, SAT, HD Radio, Sunshades, Cold Weather, Comf Access, Nav,L7, PDC

Others:
2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid
2000 Honda S2000
Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLucky View Post
My best guess -- $10,500. Looks like the damage is cosmetic -- not structural -- which should keep the total cost down.
I agree 10 to 11k.

'05 545i, Auto, Orient Blue, Beige Dakota,Bamboo Anthracite, Logic 7, Xenon, PDC, Premium Package, Mtec V2 AE, 19" E92 M3 Rep. Wheels, M5TEC Bumper , MTEC rear bumper, 70k miles as of 1/13.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:42 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
... E60 has extensive aluminum parts in the front, replacing hood, fender, HID lamps and potential suspension will reach BV of the car easy.
You must mean salvage value. That is what they give you when car is totaled. I wish I had gotten book value on my e39 when it was totaled.

Good luck dealing with the Insurance. They are going to give you salvage plus your expenses, like rental car for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
$12,500
Old 01-16-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by racooper3 View Post
You must mean salvage value. That is what they give you when car is totaled. I wish I had gotten book value on my e39 when it was totaled.

Good luck dealing with the Insurance. They are going to give you salvage plus your expenses, like rental car for a couple of weeks.
Not true. When your car is totaled, you'll get replacement value. But, negotiate with the insurance company, they will give you a lowball number up front. Make sure you hit them with any maintenance or repair costs that you've recently incurred, like new tires, or a major service. Start looking at what people are asking for cars like yours on the Internet or in the paper. Do your homework before they come up with an offer, and then negotiate hard.

Keith

Last edited by Campfamily; 01-16-2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
Not true. When your car is totaled, you'll get replacement value. But, negotiate with the insurance company, they will give you a lowball number up front. Make sure you hit them with any maintenance or repair costs that you've recently incurred, like new tires, or a major service. Start looking at what people are asking for cars like yours on the Internet or in the paper.

Keith
I agree, the insurance company isn't going to take a car that was worth $15,000, gets $15,000 worth of damage, pay you out $3000 or whatever the salvage value might be, and send you on your way to try and replace a $15,000 car with your $3000.

Look at it this way - The moment before the accident you had an asset worth $15,000. The insurance has to spend whatever is needed to return that asset to pre-accident condition, or pay you the $15,000 it was worth before the accident.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM
BMW Master Wannabe

Talking

Quote:
Not true. When your car is totaled, you'll get replacement value. But, negotiate with the insurance company, they will give you a lowball number up front. Make sure you hit them with any maintenance or repair costs that you've recently incurred, like new tires, or a major service. Start looking at what people are asking for cars like yours on the Internet or in the paper.

Keith
Keith, Rather than argue a stupid point and since you are in California I'll concede your claim. God only knows what other kind of whacked out laws you all have passed out there in LA-LA land.

Florida statutes say that the insurance company is only obligated to pay the "salvage" value of the car, plus injury costs in excess of your PIP coverage, assuming one has the mandatory amount. Then at fault party pays all medical. They also are required to provide a rental vehicle for a reasonable amount of time to search for a replacement vehicle, usually a couple of weeks, and any missed work or unpaid leave to look for replacement vehicle.

While the laws aren't as consumer friendly as California, we don't believe in sticking it to the insurance companies, or more accurately the customers of insurance companies. I bet I pay a lot less in Insurance premiums than you do.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:22 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Keith, Rather than argue a stupid point and since you are in California I'll concede your claim. God only knows what other kind of whacked out laws you all have passed out there in LA-LA land.

Florida statutes say that the insurance company is only obligated to pay the "salvage" value of the car, plus injury costs in excess of your PIP coverage, assuming one has the mandatory amount. Then at fault party pays all medical. They also are required to provide a rental vehicle for a reasonable amount of time to search for a replacement vehicle, usually a couple of weeks, and any missed work or unpaid leave to look for replacement vehicle.

While the laws aren't as consumer friendly as California, we don't believe in sticking it to the insurance companies, or more accurately the customers of insurance companies. I bet I pay a lot less in Insurance premiums than you do.
I have never heard of anything like this--are you sure that applies if you have full coverage? It doesn't make sense. The whole point of insurance is to cover you in case something happens. If all you're getting is salvage value, what's the point of full coverage? You can get salvage value at any salvage yard or eBay for that matter...

I am in NC and it works the same as Keith has stated. You get your car back to pre accident condition or they get the car and you get a check for what the car was worth prior to the accident. Usually here you get the option to buy the wrecked car back as well at a reasonable price for a totaled car, if you want it..

It works the same in SC and in Georgia, so this isn't a whacked out CA law (although they certainly have plenty of those, lol)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:

A) What's with the tone? I thought we were all buddies.

B) I think you may be mistaken. Insurance that only pays salvage value would, by definition, be pointless. Salvage value is what the car is worth after it sustains the damage, assuming the damage is enough to total the car. If the car is still worth the salvage value amount, what would be the purpose of insurance in paying out that amount? The insurance would add no value and remove no risk in that situation and would be worthless. If you are paying lower premiums for that kind of coverage, I'd say the only sensible premium would be zero.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:

While I will concede that California has a bunch of whacked out laws, I don't think this is one of them. But, I really have to question whether you are interpreting the laws in your state correctly. I'll lay out a scenario. You drive a car that is worth $30,000 today (note I did not say that is what you paid for it). I crash into you, and do enough damage that it is not financially feasible to repair your car. Let's say that the salvage value of your car is$10,000. This is the value that somebody would pay for the car in it's damaged state. Is it fair that this is what your insurance company pays you for it? No. You should get the current value of your car, which in my scenario is $30,000.

Now, what does happen is that people will buy a car for, say $30,000, drive it for three years, then when it gets totalled, expect to be paid $30,000. That shouldn't happen either. It should (and I believe, IS) be that you get paid fair market value for what it would cost to replace your totalled car with an equivalent one.

PS - I do not think this is stupid point. I also do not think this is "sticking it to the customers of insurance companies". It is fair. What isn't fair is when the insurance company comes in and tries to convince you that your $30,000 car is truly only worth $25,000.

Keith
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
While I will concede that California has a bunch of whacked out laws, I don't think this is one of them. But, I really have to question whether you are interpreting the laws in your state correctly. I'll lay out a scenario. You drive a car that is worth $30,000 today (note I did not say that is what you paid for it). I crash into you, and do enough damage that it is not financially feasible to repair your car. Let's say that the salvage value of your car is$10,000. This is the value that somebody would pay for the car in it's damaged state. Is it fair that this is what your insurance company pays you for it? No. You should get the current value of your car, which in my scenario is $30,000.

Now, what does happen is that people will buy a car for, say $30,000, drive it for three years, then when it gets totalled, expect to be paid $30,000. That shouldn't happen either. It should (and I believe, IS) be that you get paid fair market value for what it would cost to replace your totalled car with an equivalent one.

PS - I do not think this is stupid point. I also do not think this is "sticking it to the customers of insurance companies". It is fair. What isn't fair is when the insurance company comes in and tries to convince you that your $30,000 car is truly only worth $25,000.

Keith
+1

You are correct. The two accidents I totaled my cars, 1 was my fault the other was the other drivers fault, I was paid the current market value of the car based on the home zip code. Your full coverage insurance is supposed to cover the current value of the car unless stipulated by a clause in your plan. Usually when I hear of people getting jacked is if you have a new car without gap insurance and you total your car or if you get coverage from a shady insurance company. Car insurance is definitely something not to skimp on IMO.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E45 map, Performance Gearing LSD.

Last edited by booyaazaa; 01-17-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
Honestly, I have mixed feelings. The car is a 2005, probably worth $l So anything above $12K might total it. But before this accident it was in near perfect shape, I still love driving it, and I was looking forward to another year or two of car payment free living.

I'm not in the financial mood to drop $60K+ on an F10 right now, so I will probably wind up leasing an F30 if it goes down. I've never driven either, so I'm not super excited. Could get there, though.
Mr Greer,
if you remember, I had the same car and then leased my e90. its a great car to drive but it lackss presence and space. have you considered a 2010 550?

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
Mr Greer,
if you remember, I had the same car and then leased my e90. its a great car to drive but it lackss presence and space. have you considered a 2010 550?
I do remember. I'd be more likely to move over to an E63, just to have something different. I don't need my main car to be a 4-door. Those are going for a little less than I would have expected.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Sleeper Wagon

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I do remember. I'd be more likely to move over to an E63, just to have something different. I don't need my main car to be a 4-door. Those are going for a little less than I would have expected.
Will - Still have my E61, but picked up a 2013 E350C4 (all wheel drive coupe) for my wife. Different car than our 5 series, corners like glue, very exclusive, attention getter, smile every time I walk up to it. Hoping it will be MUCH more reliable than my car.However, it does not have anywhere near the steering feel of a BMW and the "sport" mode and paddle shifters are a JOKE compared to BMW - but my wife loves it...

Good luck with whatever you do!
2014 Audi A7 Prestige E61 SOLD 10/4/13! [/B]- 2008 E61/Monaco Blue/Natural Brown/Premium/Sport/Logic 7/Sirius. Escort 9500ci, Dinan S2 Tune (378HP, 417 ft/lb Torque), RD Sport Sway Bars. Conti DW and Michelin Xi3 snows. LED Angel Eyes, Matt Black Grill. Ext warranty until 2017!!!, 67K miles. Original owner. Fanatically Maintained, BMWCCA Member. Jersey