Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions

Site Feedback / Questions / Suggestions
Please post your comments, ideas, or suggestions here.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 540iT
What are the Forum Rules?

Recently I had commented on a thread that seemed "harmless" and pertinent to BMWs.

After a few more comments, the thread vanished. I was curious as to why the thread was destroyed, so I tried searching for a Bimmerfest Rules page.

I found these two pages:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forumguidelines.php

Reading through these was interesting. I'm curious - is there is an updated rules page? (The second link dates back to 2009)

Not trying to poop on the mods, just curious.

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Rules? What rules? OMG! There are rules?!?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Rule #1: You are what you write.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Posting links to Craigslist ads for no other purpose than to mock them is rather silly. Plus, the owners of these ads are not aware of this so they cannot offer rebuttals.

Some of the commentary that followed was even more brain dead thanks to "I'm BACK".

That kind of stuff seems more acceptable on the "other" board, not this one. I'd like to believe this place is a little less juvenile.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
Posting links to Craigslist ads for no other purpose than to mock them is rather silly. Plus, the owners of these ads are not aware of this so they cannot offer rebuttals.

Some of the commentary that followed was even more brain dead thanks to "I'm BACK".

That kind of stuff seems more acceptable on the "other" board, not this one. I'd like to believe this place is a little less juvenile.

It struggles to stay that way, less juvenile that is.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Rules? What rules? OMG! There are rules?!?
lol my sarcasm detector is getting a slight reading

Quote:
I agree that it is silly, but I'd say its at least relevant humor to this group. People bash each other all the time on this forum. I know there can be a fine line between being offensive and being funny, but really don't think we get there.

I've read through the e36 craigslist thread here many times before. It contain both post bashing and good finds. Would this thread pass on our section of BF?

I think it would be good to at least update our rules section to be more specific - unless we have one already. Mainly so that all members can be on the same page.

thoughts?

ColdWeather+Summer+Sport--20/30 Ceramic Tint--Euro Armrest--JL 13tw5-3 Subwoofer--LED AEs
Old 01-14-2013, 10:23 AM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
This forum can police itself well enough. My rule of thumb relating to creating topics is whether a new topic actually informs or educates people on the E39 BMW. If it doesn't, then it has questionable value.

If it's entertainment you're looking for, perhaps the general BMW forum would be a more appropriate place to create topics.

My .02.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
This forum can police itself well enough. My rule of thumb relating to creating topics is whether a new topic actually informs or educates people on the E39 BMW. If it doesn't, then it has questionable value.

If it's entertainment you're looking for, perhaps the general BMW forum would be a more appropriate place to create topics.

My .02.
Fair enough.

I tend to not appreciate certain kids on here as well, but at the same time I don't want to be serious 100% of the time. I'll try to be more intentional with where/what I add to this board.

Thanks

Old 01-14-2013, 08:05 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn View Post
Recently I had commented on a thread that seemed "harmless" and pertinent to BMWs.

After a few more comments, the thread vanished. I was curious as to why the thread was destroyed, so I tried searching for a Bimmerfest Rules page.

I found these two pages:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forumguidelines.php

Reading through these was interesting. I'm curious - is there is an updated rules page? (The second link dates back to 2009)

Seems to me that if a poster has second thoughts about a post, he/she should be able to take it down, whatever the rules are.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Seems to me that if a poster has second thoughts about a post, he/she should be able to take it down, whatever the rules are.
I don't think the OP of the thread was the one who removed it.

I guess it could have been him though
I agree with your statement.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn;7312285[B
]lol my sarcasm detector is getting a slight reading[/B]

I agree that it is silly, but I'd say its at least relevant humor to this group. People bash each other all the time on this forum. I know there can be a fine line between being offensive and being funny, but really don't think we get there.

I've read through the e36 craigslist thread here many times before. It contain both post bashing and good finds. Would this thread pass on our section of BF?

I think it would be good to at least update our rules section to be more specific - unless we have one already. Mainly so that all members can be on the same page.

thoughts?
What is a "slight reading." I've been in the word business for about 50 years, and I have never heard that that expression before.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by the540wgn View Post
I'm curious - is there is an updated rules page? (The second link dates back to 2009)

Those are still the most up to date forum guidelines. We worked on those for a while, I don't see the need to have them updated all the time.

In this case the thread/post was deemed to be in poor taste and was removed. Regardless of how "specific" the forum guidelines are it always comes down to perception. One person's funny joke/thread/comment/etc. is offensive to another person. I see all the reported posts, I know how often this happens. Judgment calls have to be made and not everyone is going to agree.

Tim