Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 528i
Has anyone updated Bluetooth software?

Has anyone recently done this?...

I had my car at the dealer over the w/e for a routine oil change and inquired about it. They said the entire car would need to be reprogrammed (um ok) and that it would take a few hours. I'm 99% certain this can be done quickly by the owner with a USB drive.

Just want to know about how much time I should commit to this if I decide to try it myself.
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth View Post

I had my car at the dealer over the w/e for a routine oil change and inquired about it. They said the entire car would need to be reprogrammed (um ok) and that it would take a few hours. I'm 99% certain this can be done quickly by the owner with a USB drive.

Just want to know about how much time I should commit to this if I decide to try it myself.
Between download from the BMW server to the time you complete the download in your car, I would say 10 minutes minimum.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Haitoman

Send a message via Skype™ to Haitoman
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Between download from the BMW server to the time you complete the download in your car, I would say 10 minutes minimum.
+1 Easy download and 10-20mins to complete

2012 F10 535i M-Sport Carbon Black
2006 520d Touring Montego Blue Metallic
2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black Hard Top Vert
2002 E46 330i M-Sport Titanium Silver Just sold !!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Thank you both.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Are you talking about upgrading the bluetooth version of software on your F10?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdroth View Post

You correct, download, load to a FAT32-formated (empty) thumb drive, plug into the USB port in the glove compartment and the car will update (less than 4-5 minutes).

Link to BMW's web site.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
You correct, download, load to a FAT32-formated (empty) thumb drive, plug into the USB port in the glove compartment and the car will update (less than 4-5 minutes).

Link to BMW's web site.
Very Cool.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
In some cases, if the ISTA/P on vehicle software is too old, it must first be updated before USB Update will work. This was the case with my 10/10 build 2011 F10 with the original software on the car.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post

Link to BMW's web site.

Thanks everyone - this took about 5 mins total including loading software on the thumb drive. Also just want to add that I was able to upgrade using the port in the center compartment.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i Individual
I was at dealer last week for a speaker grille noise and was told a BMW Software update for the whole car was released. I had it done. Took 3+ hours to download and an hour for car to be "put in sleep mode" and then rebooted. I trust my service advisor for he doesn't want to get me pissed. $85K car gives me a little clout with the dealership.
2013 535i Moonstone/Piano Finish Black Trim/Ext. Platinum leather: with Driver Assistance Package; Driver Assistance Plus; BMW Individual Composition; Luxury Seating Package; Premium Package; Technology Package; Dynamic Damper Control; Soft close automatic doors; Power Rear and Side Window shades; Heated front seats; Ceramic Controls; Automatic high beams; Parking Assistant; Bang & Olufsen Sound System; BMW Individual wood inlay steering wheel.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshawsa View Post
I was at dealer last week for a speaker grille noise and was told a BMW Software update for the whole car was released. I had it done. Took 3+ hours to download and an hour for car to be "put in sleep mode" and then rebooted. I trust my service advisor for he doesn't want to get me pissed. $85K car gives me a little clout with the dealership.
Questions -
What was it supposed to fix, and do you notice anything difference?

Your 535i was $86K?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 AM

BMW software update

Han something to do with the front overhead switch panel.

Car is Individual order with lots of extra options/packages. If you have an Ipad, download the BMW Individual interactive app from BMW.
2013 535i Moonstone/Piano Finish Black Trim/Ext. Platinum leather: with Driver Assistance Package; Driver Assistance Plus; BMW Individual Composition; Luxury Seating Package; Premium Package; Technology Package; Dynamic Damper Control; Soft close automatic doors; Power Rear and Side Window shades; Heated front seats; Ceramic Controls; Automatic high beams; Parking Assistant; Bang & Olufsen Sound System; BMW Individual wood inlay steering wheel.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshawsa View Post
So the guy with the $40k car would not have received the same level of service you think?

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 AM

$85k vs $40k

Was just a reference value I stated. My point was that ALL BMW's are valued (cost) more because their "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" reputation is expected even at the service level. I previously owned a Chrysler Crossfire, and learned to watch my back with repair work quality with the interface of USA/Mercedes service knowledge. I would never buy a Mercedes now.