Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 E46 318ci
Driver door handle

Sometimes when I open the door it's quite hard to open, also the door handle sticks in the pulled position.

Anyone know how to fix this?
Ads by Google
Old 01-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325ci Coupe ZSP
Maybe this:

On the edge of the door pull out a small rubber plug and insert an allen wrench to fit the screw inside. Back it off and then tighten it down. It is reported that doing this several times will ease the action. I have done this but cannot verify that repeated times improves action. Secondly lubricate the mechanism by spraying a thin lubricating spray into the hole. It worked for me.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 AM

Ok thanks man. I'll get this done today! It's only recently been playing up, never had this problem before. Hopefully this will work.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM

Tried doing this yesterday and today. The bolt is as tight as it will go and it still struggles to open the door.
The feeling I have is .... I pull the handle to open, it's quite easy but it comes out quite far, and it feels like I need it to come out that extra tiny bit for it to open. I sometimes it opens fine, most of the time it feels like it isn't going to open unless I really pull on it
Old 01-15-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 06 325ci Coupe ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_N View Post
Tried doing this yesterday and today. The bolt is as tight as it will go and it still struggles to open the door.
The feeling I have is .... I pull the handle to open, it's quite easy but it comes out quite far, and it feels like I need it to come out that extra tiny bit for it to open. I sometimes it opens fine, most of the time it feels like it isn't going to open unless I really pull on it
I really wish this had improved the action. Without looking at it myself it sounds like a component may be worn or broken. Taking it apart would be what I would do next. Also check in to how much a new handle/mechanism costs. You may even be able to repair it based on what you find.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM

No worries mate. Thanks for the input though. Going to get it apart this week sometime and see what else I can solve. Hopefully it's a sticking motion or maybe I need to lose off the bolt and push it down, so then the handle is giving abit more leverage?! I don't know. Anything is worth a try I suppose
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 AM

I have finally sorted my door handle out!

With the cold weather over here at the moment it has made the grease on the locking latch get too thick, so it was working as grease should haha. So for now with this cold weather I have layered alot of WD40 on it and it now works like a charm! Fantastic!
Soon as the weather gets abit warmer I'll have to put on some more proper grease on there. Make sure it doesn't happen again

Thanks for the help though mate