Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesE39 View Post

Stuff deleted

Tell the guy to keep the headlights and the wheels lol.

Fixed
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
All I know is that if a seller lies in his ad. It's a major turn off. I mean I don't mind a little lie like "best e39 out there" I'm talking about "530 hp" obviously the seller wants you to focus on how fast it is than what condition it is in

IMO
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
DINAN 5

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
I swear I can't stand this guy... Look all I have to say is look at the car fax to make sure it has not been in a wreck.
Oh god king rice-bringer is back to defend the rice legacy...

"look at the car fax to make sure it has not been in a wreck." is the most ignorant thing I have read so far today. You have been watching too many commercials. Down here by the Mexican border, do you know how many cars get wrecked and rebuilt like this, that still have clean titles because driver didn't have full-coverage insurance??? It happens everyday and ive seen it hundreds of times, i've even done it a dozen times.... I used to help my buddies do this stuff when I was your age... it's an entire business in itself (repairing crashed cars so that they'll still have clean title and no accident history)

Anyways, you can believe in your little car fox all you want... and talk all the smack you want, you're just mad that I made fun of your 525 converted to look like an M5

Last edited by fullthrottle540; 01-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM
DINAN 5

Mein Auto: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
Carfax?? HAHAHAHA WTF do you think carfax is?? DEQ trips, title transfers, and REPORTED ACCIDENTS, If you dont report it it wont show, wont brand the title, as if nothing happend.. If nothing happend then why the fast and furious paint job? why the crap headlights?
^Yup, this guy gets it.... and this kind of activity is more rampant here next to Tijuana, than anywhere else i've ever been in my life. The ebay lights and fast and furious $300 paint job is a dead giveaway! These are nightmare cars, plain and simple.

Last edited by fullthrottle540; 01-16-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post

Anyways, you can believe in your little car fox all you want... and talk all the smack you want, you're just mad that I made fun of your 525 converted to look like an M5
lol!!

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
The amount of trust I put in a carfax is the same amount a boy gives his uncle after his uncle molests him.

Last edited by BentValve; 01-16-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
The amount of trust I put in a carfax is about the same as a boy gives his uncle after his uncle molests him.
maybe the experience made them closer?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
maybe the experience made them closer?
Without the buy back guarantee.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle540 View Post

"look at the car fax to make sure it has not been in a wreck." is the most ignorant thing I have read so far today. You have been watching too many commercials. Down here by the Mexican border, do you know how many cars get wrecked and rebuilt like this, that still have clean titles because driver didn't have full-coverage insurance??? It happens everyday and ive seen it hundreds of times, i've even done it a dozen times.... I used to help my buddies do this stuff when I was your age... it's an entire business in itself (repairing crashed cars so that they'll still have clean title and no accident history)

Whatever gets the ladies man! I like the look of his car (mike39). Whatever floats your boat. I'm buying a real m5 so I won't have to deal with you... Hahahha I just realized how silly that sounds. I'm actually buying a real m5 because I like everything about it. Headliner, extended leather, m5 cluster, m5 sway bars, S62, navigation, m5 bumpers, quad exhaust, m5 mirrors, m5 door sills, m5 impact strips and most importantly m5 badge on the back
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
The amount of trust I put in a carfax is the same amount a boy gives his uncle after his uncle molests him.
He could easily did the carfax before he crashed it
Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Boosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
Whatever gets the ladies man! I like the look of his car (mike39). Whatever floats your boat. I'm buying a real m5 so I won't have to deal with you... Hahahha I just realized how silly that sounds. I'm actually buying a real m5 because I like everything about it. Headliner, extended leather, m5 cluster, m5 sway bars, S62, navigation, m5 bumpers, quad exhaust, m5 mirrors, m5 door sills, m5 impact strips and most importantly m5 badge on the back
Im taking my M5 badge off....

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Mugicinal Engineer

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 2009 E60
Quote:
I swear I can't stand this guy... Look all I have to say is look at the car fax to make sure it has not been in a wreck. Because you can have 10 paint jobs and 1 dollar headlights and that don't mean nothing. What's your 525 specs? Because if its an 03 with sports pkg and everything and avg miles then your giving him too much. I wouldn't give more than 5k. Again that's if everything checks out. And plz make sure those wheels are authentic. Because that's 2k alone. Btw what the hell do you mean when you say they painted over everything??? I don't understand. Are you talking about the moldings??? Because your car is completely silver.... And I don't see you saying why did bmw paint the whole car silver...

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
2003 E39 525 130k miles. No sport package. But it's pretty clean
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LalaRay View Post
Im taking my M5 badge off....
I meant if figuratively that it's actually a m5. I like the debadged look and if I find its causing some heat I will take it off
Old 01-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Mugicinal Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Roots View Post
2003 E39 525 130k miles. No sport package. But it's pretty clean
I also have about $5k worth of audio upgrades all high end including NAV SAT DVD head unit and 19" staggered Lexanis
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 AM
The Usual Suspect

Mein Auto: 98 E39 540i - 09 E90 328i
It's clean though
Old 01-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
I also have about $5k worth of audio upgrades all high end including NAV SAT DVD head unit and 19" staggered Lexanis
There's tons of m5s out there this represents the bottom 1% of them. I did a quick Craigslist search. I found 3 m5s with 100k miles or less in my area for 15,000 you want me to post them
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Ball Don't lie

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3445840667.html

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3538844411.html

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/3529088533.html
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Boosted

omg if those two black ones were 2003s i would go F*cking buy one next week i swear to god.. wait wtf is a Hartford

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Boosted

actuallyyyy i might just go buy that 01.... at that price i could get the RK supercharger the next week.. and drop the Supersprint headers in and the Supercharger and be pushing 600+BHP within the month....

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
There's tons of m5s out there this represents the bottom 1% of them. I did a quick Craigslist search. I found 3 m5s with 100k miles or less in my area for 15,000 you want me to post them
You know I'm in Southern California right?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Road trip!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
It's called a plane ticket! Better than spending 17k on that blue piece a crap
Old 01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Boosted

Well i bought my car from texas and i live in maryland... It was like 21 hours/1100 mile trip. Had a bomb a*s time with my friend driving home in my new car.! well Except driving trough Tennesee -__-

Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
ST coilovers,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 01:49 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
Op: If you want a better set of answers to your question Id think about posting on bimmerforums. The e39 section is generally more mature over there and they will give you more straight forward answers. There are only a handful of helpful suggestions on this thread...

Everyone: Lights can be replaced... easily. As for the paint job that's subjective. Different people have different tastes and for that reason there are numerous paint selections available from car manufacturers and even individual programs such as for BMW to appeals to those wanting to be extra different.. If you love it then you have your answer. I love how someone said this car has a crap paint job. There aren't enough detailed pictures to show such a crap paint job. A color not to your liking is not a crap paint job. A "crap paint job" is that which shows obvious signs of poor workman ship including but not limited to: poor prepping, tape lines, fish eyes, excessive orange peel ect.. So in order to make a statement such as the aforementioned credible, I'd suggest inspecting the car physically. If not keep it to yourself...

As for the wheels that's subjective as well. The same concepts as outlined above apply here so to each his own..

I'd do a PPI to silence all worries as well as check with BMW dealers for records of maintenance, check carfax and interrogate the owner on whom he bought the car from, conditions he kept the car in and do a physical check of the vehicle. If it turns out that there have been signs of abuse such as multiple accidents, non OEM parts galore which would compromise the reliability of the car such as Karlyn suspension bit ect and little to no maintenance, avoid the headache and find another car. If everything does check out try to reach a deal with the seller stating whatever value you believe the car is worth as per what was revealed during the PPI/carfax ect. On top off all of this read up on common issues on the M5board under the e39 section and perhaps start a thread asking for advice. When I wanted to buy an M a couple members were willing to meet with the seller and myself to discuss what to look for and for counsel. Like bimmerforum's e39 section, the m5board's e39 section is mature and they will lead you in the right direction.

Make sure to reach an agreed price before selling/trading in your car and do the PPI before all of this. If not it wont be worth your while.

So you guys can stop hyperventilating that this car isnt up to your standards.

/ done
Old 01-16-2013, 01:52 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngproexec View Post
Op: If you want a better set of answers to your question Id think about posting on bimmerforums. The e39 section is generally more mature over there and they will give you more straight forward answers. There are only a handful of helpful suggestions on this thread...

/ done
I think that Bimmerfest is a lot more mature than Bimmerforums Plus I think m5board would be the way to go.