Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540iT Sport
Question Confused about headlight options

My June 2000 540T has the stock Xenon headlights. I want & need to do a few things with my car's headlights, but i'm not entirely certain as to what options i have available and what i should or should not do. I'm not sure how these things may influence each other for example. I'm hoping some of you can help me understand.

The 'glass' of the housing (is this called the lens?) is pretty 'frosted'. See the attached pic. I would like to replace the housing with something with the clear turn signals, e.g. these. This seems like a pretty straightforward job.

The adjusters are broken and need to be replaced. I've read various pages here and elsewhere about how to do it, and feel like i can tackle this job. However, looking around i see different options, and it's not clear to me which option i need for my car. Some are cheap (<$10), while others are not (>$80), and apparently there are different versions, depending the year and / or whether you have xenons. I get the impression that through Aug 2000, there was only 1 style, whereas after Aug 2000 there are 2 styles of adjusters. I think that since mine is the older style, i can use the cheaper ones, but it's not entirely clear to me. The various sites (BavAuto, Pelican do not make it entirely clear to me. Can any of you confirm which ones I need?

Does the fact that i want to replace the housing have anything to do with this? I'm not certain if the adjusters are part of the housing, or if it's something that operates independently for example...

I also would like to add Angel Eyes to my lights.

If i need the expensive adjusters at ~$90 ea, and then get the new housing, i'm looking at spending $360+ just for that. Add angel eyes, and i'm looking at adding at least another $70, maybe as much as $250, depending on which ones i would go with. This means spending $430-$610 if i do my math right. Is that correct, and does that make sense? Are there other options i should consider, such as instead of doing that maybe buy a whole complete unit such as this one?

Thanks for any clarifications you may be able to provide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	356957  
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura CL-S
build date 8/00 and earlier uses the old adjusters which are cheaper. i would stick to OEM though, which you can get for like 20 bucks. they went with the newer adjusters with the facelift lights which you don't have. why do you need a new housing though? just get the lenses: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-540...ights/ES10670/

if you're comfortable getting up into the 600+ range though you may as well get some DJ Autos (facelift look) with a good retrofit. keep in mind that the projectors that come stock on those DJ Autos will absolutely suck in terms of output

Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to DONROD Send a message via Yahoo to DONROD
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
I bought the ecs lenses and they are awesome and ya the cheaper adjusters are the ones you need, I have a 99 540it and those are the same as yours, you might want to get two sets, I broke one when I was installing it, it is a little tricky but you can do it and it makes a world of difference
Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
if you're comfortable getting up into the 600+ range though you may as well get some DJ Autos (facelift look) with a good retrofit. keep in mind that the projectors that come stock on those DJ Autos will absolutely suck in terms of output

So, why would anyone want to install them?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

Last edited by edjack; 01-10-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: Acura CL-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post

So, why would anyone want to install them?
Because you can retrofit them with FX-Rs or another high quality HID projector and have the look of euro facelift Hellas with better angel eyes (if you upgrade) and far superior light output for under $1000

Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. For some reason I was thinking that the lens part was an entire "box" in which the lights sit, but now that you pointed it out, i realize it's not.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Nor genius Nor ignorant

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valorum View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. For some reason I was thinking that the lens part was an entire "box" in which the lights sit, but now that you pointed it out, i realize it's not.
The Pre 2001 headlights are dam easy to take apart, I just used common knowledge and a screw driver. If you want to keep costs down you can refinish your current lenses (i have a thread on my Review somewhere here) it only cost $20. Although, i have not read much on the adjuster replacement on your lights, I've heard its much easier than on 01-03 lights.

For Sale!
1 Set of E39 OEM Technical Graphite / Cubic Interior Trim set- $255 Shipped [Click]
E39 OEM Maple Wood "Muschelahorn" steering wheel $140 Shipped [Click]

Last edited by Dking078; 01-15-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
If you want to keep costs down you can refinish your current lenses (i have a thread on my Review somewhere here) it only cost $20.
I've read several threads about doing this yeah. I've tried this before on a previous vehicle, and it was a lot of work and messy. Could be I just wasn't good at it of course But it was enough of a pain that I'm fine with paying for new lenses. A man's gotta know his limits...

The adjusters seem like an easy enough fix on this model yeah, so I'm hopeful it'll be relatively easy to do while I have the lights out to replace the lenses.

The one thing I have not yet decided on is the addition of angel eyes. There are so many choices out there. While it would be good to take care of it while i have the lights out, i think i'm going to save that for another time.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Amazon was having a sale just recently where you could have gotten a new set of facelift lights for $600. Way better than any aftermarket lights.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentValve View Post
Amazon was having a sale just recently where you could have gotten a new set of facelift lights for $600. Way better than any aftermarket lights.
Too bad i missed out on that one Maybe it'll come back some time. How do i find out? Just watch these forums like a hawk? For now i'll at least remedy my milky stock headlights for a little over $100.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valorum View Post
Too bad i missed out on that one Maybe it'll come back some time. How do i find out? Just watch these forums like a hawk? For now i'll at least remedy my milky stock headlights for a little over $100.
There was a thread here and Bimmerforums. With the amount of interest it got, I don't know if it will ever come back. Best bet is to check craigslist, ebay and the forum classifieds regularly.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540iA
Here is one on CL parting out a 540, ask if the seller is willing to ship the OE head lights to you: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/3533758592.html