Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
CPR ..

Mein Auto: ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by hh3uunp View Post
I think that Bimmerfest is a lot more mature than Bimmerforums Plus I think m5board would be the way to go.
Sure whatever you think . I'm not trying to start a forum to forum war just stating my observation based on the content that has been heavily discussed on Bf.c during the last year or so... When I say mature I don't mean age exclusively... I mean in the way questions such as the OP's are answered. Perhaps I generalized a bit in my previous response........
Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngproexec View Post
Sure whatever you think . I'm not trying to start a forum to forum war just stating my observation based on the content that has been heavily discussed on Bf.c during the last year or so... When I say mature I don't mean age exclusively... I mean in the way questions such as the OP's are answered. Perhaps I generalized a bit in my previous response........
Yeah I just don't like you.
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Quote:
Yeah I just don't like you.
! Very mature lls i swear sometimes you guys are the f**king funniest

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Old 01-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Mein Auto: 2003 E39 2009 E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngproexec View Post
At least its not just me ... some of the comments on this thread are absurd. Im finishing up some maintenance on my car and the seller of the M5 is going to come over when i'm done and we are going to swap cars and go for a nice drive - and possibly negotiate a trade afterwards.

Honestly - I like the color of the car. I probably wouldn't have painted it that color myself - but really none of you know if its of poor quality or not.

I started the thread to get realistic advice because I know the car isn't worth 17,500. I originally offered him 13k or a possible trade of my E39 + cash.

If you dont like the car or the headlights thats fine - and I do appreciate the advice on getting a PPI and having someone look it over to see if there has been any damage from an accident - but really all of you saying its worth $1 or $2 is just childish. Especially you h3 - you really have no room to talk with all the fake ///M swag you had installed on your car...

Thank you to those who took this thread seriously and offered credible advice. Ill update when I get a chance to drive the car - because ultimately that is really all I am concerned about - as cosmetic options really dont make much of a difference to me - and is something that can easily be changed.

SR
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Roots View Post
Especially you h3 - you really have no room to talk with all the fake ///M swag you had installed on your car...

SR
There's no fake ///m swag on my car. Straight OEM here nagga (yeah I'm white so I can't say the N word)

BTW you wish you had my car and I'm buying a m5 this weekend if the price is right
Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: E70 X5/E60 528i
Is a nice looking car man, and the color is not bad at all, if it passes the PPI and you can get the price lowered go for it. Keep us posted
Old 01-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

Quote:
There's no fake ///m swag on my car. Straight OEM here nagga (yeah I'm white so I can't say the N word)

BTW you wish you had my car and I'm buying a m5 this weekend if the price is right
It is fake because its a 540. But best luck on your 300k mile M5 - I hope it's everything you are looking for and treats you well.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to ian@jewelorjalopy
Mein Auto: 2000 540it Sport - sold
Find the best one you can, and if it's out of state have someone local and knowledgeable go look at it for you. We can help if needed.

Good luck finding one.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM
Boosted

Mein Auto: 03 ///M5
Quote:
At least its not just me ... some of the comments on this thread are absurd. Im finishing up some maintenance on my car and the seller of the M5 is going to come over when i'm done and we are going to swap cars and go for a nice drive - and possibly negotiate a trade afterwards.

Honestly - I like the color of the car. I probably wouldn't have painted it that color myself - but really none of you know if its of poor quality or not.

I started the thread to get realistic advice because I know the car isn't worth 17,500. I originally offered him 13k or a possible trade of my E39 + cash.

If you dont like the car or the headlights thats fine - and I do appreciate the advice on getting a PPI and having someone look it over to see if there has been any damage from an accident - but really all of you saying its worth $1 or $2 is just childish. Especially you h3 - you really have no room to talk with all the fake ///M swag you had installed on your car...

Thank you to those who took this thread seriously and offered credible advice. Ill update when I get a chance to drive the car - because ultimately that is really all I am concerned about - as cosmetic options really dont make much of a difference to me - and is something that can easily be changed.

SR
Quote:

yall N*GGAS are funny

RK Supercharged @ 501wheel horsepower
Supersprint Headers,
Evolve Alpha N Tune,
CNS lightweight dm flywheel/Spec clutch,
ST coilovers,
Eibach Rear Sway bar/Beast Power Brackets,
Drilled slotted Rotors/Akebono Euro pads,
Magnaflow 14816 Mufflers

Last edited by LalaRay; 01-16-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Ball Don't lie

Quote:
It is fake because its a 540. But best luck on your 300k mile M5 - I hope it's everything you are looking for and treats you well.
Don't know why you're picking on me. Buy the car if you like it. I don't like people lying about something when you're paying over $1,000 for something. If they are willing to lie about the horsepower they would have no problem lying about a previous collision or they might have just cleared the check engine light before you turn up.

A good friend of mine died yesterday and his birthday is today he would have turned 18. Stop worrying about this car and live life. At your funeral they aren't going to talk about how you had a fake m5 or how you had a 300k mile m5. All of this is not important. OP go and buy this car if you really want it. Life is short. You could die tomorrow enjoy what you have.

Last edited by hh3uunp; 01-16-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM
MadBimmerist

Mein Auto: 98 DINAN 5, 03 540iT
Based purely on my experience with CL and cars looking like that and sadly.... in that region, I would say it was in a wreck at some point. It did not come with those lights or wheels.

Ask the owner for the VIN# and do as much checking as you can - while Carfax might be deemed waste of time, it sometimes provides accident history, so you never know. VIN number would also tell you what the car originally was from the factory and possibly where it was first sold and how many owners it has had.

Until you actually see the car and go over it with a fine tooth comb, you don't really know what you are dealing with. Personally, I would walk away from such a car. There are too many Red flags for me. To answer your first question.... it is certainly not work $17K
Old 01-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 528i
17.5 is definitely too much..might sound like a broken record but rule of thumb when a person does aftermarket upgrades to a car it actually depreciates in value.. people sell cars with upgrades because some of those upgrades might appeal to a lot of people and they look at it as they dont have to do it.. Original M5 with same mileage and same year is worth more than that car.. it has a chip etc but things can go bad real quick if that stuff wasn't tuned properly or works for only a certain amount of time.. People try to get their money back on upgrades they did to a car which is fine some person will almost always buy it, but point is it surely isn't worth 17.5k.... that paint job is bad..not because of color.. but the trim is painted over takes away from the car natural contour.. that bumper has either been replaced or hit.. the bumper angle isn't correct if you look closely it has a decreasing angle. Those lights are quite ugly as well which can be replaced.. but you need to know this stuff for negotiating power if u decide to partake on this endeavor.. be careful.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Mugicinal Engineer

I actually like the painted trim. My car has it (since its a 525) but if it didnt I would probably get it painted (unless the car was black) not quite sure what the point if it is ( I think soneone said it was impact trim) well my BMW isn't a bumper car and shouldn't look like one...

Just my opinion. I can't comment on paint as I haven't seen it in person yet.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Ball Don't lie

I'm no designer but cars need contrast. That's why black on black on black wheels doesn't look good. That's why a lot of white cars will have black rims.

all that matters is that you like (as long as you aren't planning on selling it)