Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Black Sapphire

I'm going to do ED this year and want to do Black Sapphire. My E90 is silver and I know nothing is easier to maintain than that. Since so many of you have Black Sapphire what has been your experience been with swirls, scratches etc. I know it's tough to keep looking clean but I'm not doing silver or gray. If you have owned jet black, is it easier to maintain than that color? Thanks for the help.
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM
Porleau

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 335ix M-Sport
I've had/have both (Jet first, now Sapphire) and they are difficult to maintain. I would say Jet black is the most difficult of the two, but looks great when clean & detailed. It does show scratches much more readily than Sapphire, but then again, I never had many of those ;-) I personally prefer Sapphire as it adds slightly more "visual interest" as it is a metallic paint. It also costs $550 more - keep that in mind.

2014 F30 Mineral Gray| Coral Red Dakota | xDrive | M-Sport | 2TB | ZCW| ZPP | ZTP | ZD2 | ZDH | Z4A | 5DP | 5DL |HK Stereo |

Gone, but not forgotten:
11 BMW 335xi e90
08 BMW 335i e90
05 Audi A4 3.0q USP
01 Audi A6 4.2q
98 Audi A4 2.8q
91 BMW 535i
87 BMW 325e
85 VW Rabbit GTI
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
I have BSM, and i think it's a great color, but it is high maintenance. Here's my take on it from a different thread.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=669926

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
My 535i is BSM and it is pretty low maintainance as far as black cars go. Keep in mind I know a thing or two about how to properly wash, clay and polish a car, but this color is much more durable than I thought it would be. I have had jet black and will never, ever, ever buy that color again. BSM is the way to go if you must have black.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
I've had a jet black for the past six year and as much as it is a PITA to maintain I just love how blck cars look (especially with tinted glass) when properly cleaned. I am lucky to live near a really awesome car wash place that does everything by hand. I see Porches, Aston Martins and even Bentleys pulling out of there so I decided to trust them with the cleaning of my bimmer. Every now and then when the weather is nice and I have time I will detail the car myself, other than that I let these guys take care of it and make it look awesome. Having said all of that you should be slightly better off with the metallic paint. Jet black tends to show swirls a little more.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
BSM is definitely easier to maintain than JB, but realistically they are both black. I would never buy a black car as my daily driver. Thankfully I can be selective about when I drive my BSM F30. If I was commuting daily in it then it would be forever dirty and would drive me crazy.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Thanks for all the helpful responses. It was great to hear from those who actually live with this color. I enjoy claying, detailing etc. but not all the time so I need to consider that. Thanks again guys.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl View Post
Thanks for all the helpful responses. It was great to hear from those who actually live with this color. I enjoy claying, detailing etc. but not all the time so I need to consider that. Thanks again guys.
For some perspective, I wash my car once a week (myself, by hand) and I drive it 2-3 times per week. I find thats a good balance for keeping it rather clean. Also my car is always parked in a secure garage which really really helps keep it clean.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jfox335i
Mein Auto: 2010 E90 M3
Quote:
I've never clayed my car (at least not yet, may do it this summer). I do wash it once every two weeks by hand, and for the most part, so long as the weather's ok, it looks pretty good for most of those two weeks). So, i wouldn't say you have to do it all the time, but you do have to be more diligent then with other colors.

BMWCCA #471315
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335, 2013 328
One of our e90s is in Black Sapphire. Nice color. We don't do anything to the finish but run it through the car wash occasionally and it looks like new. However, like any black car it shows every speck of dust which can be an issue here in California where it does not rain from April through October.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i M-Sport
It's a nightmare to maintain.

At first I had it cleaned twice a week at the local hand wash, noticed they were scratching the paintwork, so now I just drive the car dirty. I figure I'll get it detailed every 3 months and not worry about it in the meantime. It's a daily driver so no point getting too worked up over it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
I too was a bit paranoid when I ordered, but its not that bad for me in CT. keep a coat of sealant on it and it'll be easy to wash when you get salt on it. It looks GREAT when washed and shined though. Can't wait for spring time when it can start to shine and remain its best.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I did ED with my Jerez Black M3. I took utmost care while in Europe to maintain the paint, even putting a layer of sealant on it before I left the Welt! Unfortunately, it arrived back in the States all scratched up like someone took it through the car wash. I did PCD redelivery, and I know it wasn't them (see below). But somehow it was in fairly rough shape and took me a solid day of compounding and polishing to make it look new again. Once it was in that state, I used care and good washing techniques to keep it scratch free for a year, until I sold it.

For my new car, an ActiveHybrid 3 in Black Sapphire Metallic, I just took normal delivery via PCD. PCD did a wonderful job and there were virtually zero fine scratches or marks. I did some very minor compounding/polishing to get a few stray, light scratches out of the BSM painted surfaces. The worst area was the gloss black B-pillars! Then I applied sealant and wax, and now it is flawless.

Since the car is now perfect, I fully expect to be able to maintain this level of scratch-free paint. I'll be the only one to wash it, and I use the proper methods.

It's only a nightmare to maintain if you don't start with a perfect car, and/or take it to a car wash or the dealer.

Last edited by SamS; 01-24-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
I'm going to do ED this year and want to do Black Sapphire. My E90 is silver and I know nothing is easier to maintain than that.
Sounds familiar. I had a silver e90. I was convinced I was getting Black Sapphire. But I changed my mind at the last minute. I ended up ordering silver again.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 i xdrive
The key is how you wash it, use the 2 bucket system this you can YouTube to show you how it works, I never take my car to any car wash not even the hand wash, AGAIN it's all in how you wash your car.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

The reason that Mineral Grey is the best F30 color is because it's neither Black nor Silver; it's right in between.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®