Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e92-n54
help understanding clutch stop for daily driver

I don't track. Just occasional bursts of spirited/aggressive driving depending on road conditions. My mods are mostly comfort mods and also cheap mods that provide most improvement in driving experience. For eg., I replaced the stock shift knob with a ZHP weighted shift knob. (Cost about $90). What a huge improvement in shifting experience. Love it. With that background I was naturally drawn to the $10 BMS clutch stop that had rave reviews. Most that got this either tracked or had hardcore tunes like Vishnu/Meth/JB4 etc. I am looking for some feedback from daily drivers to understand if this will improve my shifting/driving experience. From reading posts on this in essence
this $10 thingy will remove the dead spot between the floor and pedal when pedal is depressed. Now normally isn't the dead space deliberately put in by design so you have time to give gas while easing the clutch pedal and hence you have less chances of stalling the car ? If this is the case by installing this I will be forced to drive aggressively. (since I must give gas real fast after shifting while easing the clutch pedal to avoid harming the engine or stalling). Is my assessment correct ? Please provide your feedback if you have this or had this and went back to stock clutch stop for whatever reason. Also perturbing me is the fact that few posts mention that after they got this installed they had to make a "few" tries to start the car. You had to really press hard on the pedal and all the way before pressing the start/stop button. Any truth to this ? thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
As with most everything related to shifting (clutch stops, tranny fluid, CDV) opinions will differ. I have no clutch stop and won't get one any time soon. I do agree that the clutch travel is rather long on this car, but EVERY BMW I have ever driven has had the same kind of clutch travel (E30, E36, E90). I never found it to interfere with anything and I'm not even sure if there is what you refer to as a "dead spot". I don't see why you would want instantaneous engagement start as soon as you minimally lift the pedal of the floor.

I have driven other cars with much short clutch travel but they also often yield harsher clutch engagement if you are trying to drive pedestrian.

I have no qualms with my stock clutch setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulshan View Post
I don't track. Just occasional bursts of spirited/aggressive driving depending on road conditions.
Then you don't need a clutch stop. It will not improve the feel of a shift the way the weighted shift knob did for you. What it will do is annoy you when you just want a nice relaxing drive which, from what you wrote, is more often than not. Hair-trigger clutch engagement--like any other hair-trigger control response--is not a good thing when you don't need a competition setup.

Besides which, with practice your muscle memory will learn where the engagement point is and hit it quickly without much thought. I generally use the full pedal travel only when starting the engine and engaging first or reverse gears. The rest of the time, I automatically stop just after I feel the clutch disengage.

As cwinter said, having a clutch that bites just above the floor is generally a PITA in daily use. All a clutch stop really does is raise the floor.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-16-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
I don't use one on mine, have used them on race cars, but some of the issues listed are not really issues since the BMS stop is adjustable. Its just basically the stock stop with a longer shaft. The shaft has rubber washers that can be removed to adjust the length of the throw so its not hair trigger quick if you don't want it to be.

I do use a home made throttle stop on the 335 to keep it out of WOT kick-down for more control while driving quickly.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 01-16-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
As with most everything related to shifting (clutch stops, tranny fluid, CDV) opinions will differ. I have no clutch stop and won't get one any time soon. I do agree that the clutch travel is rather long on this car, but EVERY BMW I have ever driven has had the same kind of clutch travel (E30, E36, E90). I never found it to interfere with anything and I'm not even sure if there is what you refer to as a "dead spot". I don't see why you would want instantaneous engagement start as soon as you minimally lift the pedal of the floor.

I have driven other cars with much short clutch travel but they also often yield harsher clutch engagement if you are trying to drive pedestrian.

I have no qualms with my stock clutch setup.
5 different MT Bimmers and I agree completely.

Tom
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 AM

thanks guys. I think I will ditch the clutch stop based on your feedback.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
I'll go against the flow here, I guess.
I installed it just a few weeks ago and love it. I don't track, and don't drive too aggressively and I am not hardcore anything. It was the best 10 bucks I've ever spent. The long travel is one thing, but the additional useless travel (pretty long too) is another. When you eliminate it, you won't get "hair-trigger" clutch engagement, the clutch is not 0n/off device it engages slowly, proportionally your foot speed of course.
You'll still have the necessary minimal dead travel, but virtually no noticeable by foot.
The layers can be removed from the clutch stop if you feel that the clutch bites too soon, I didn't have to do it. I don't need to press the clutch pedal hard to start the car. Those who complain about it should have done that adjustment.
And, hey! We are talking about 10 bucks and a few minutes of you time. Are not you curious to try it yourself?

Last edited by 55; 01-16-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Here comes trouble!

And I guess to 55s point, for the price you pay, why not buy it, install, and if you don't like it, take it out and call it a day?

The assumption here being that you investigated a clutch stop since you have some qualms with the clutch.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Skjoni's Dad

Mein Auto: 335i
I installed it after my son drove my car and complained loudly about the long dead space. For me it was kind of a pain to reach to install, but I love it. It's much faster shifting for me. Well worth it imo.
June 18, 2008 ED/ 335i/ E90/ sport/premium /splits/ Sapphire Black-Terra Cotta/ 6MT/ PPK/PE/ blackline tail lights/ ZHP shifter/ clutch stop mod/ CDV delete/goflat tires&donut spare/ DeMisa 3.5" Exhaust Tips
Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I use a clutch stop and quite like it. There is still some dead play in there, even with my stop (which is not BMS, as they didn't have one yet back then). Besides reducing the amount of leg travel before bottoming out, there are other incidental advantages for me in particular. I don't have to have the seat quite as forward anymore, and this allows me to have my seat back more straight up as now my upper body is not quite as close to the steering wheel. I believe it has let me find a slightly better compromise with comfort/control/safety. I know, a clutch stop is only so big, but it's interesting how even just a little amount makes a difference for me. This also makes ingress/egress that tad bit easier as well.

I removed the panel at the knees for easier access (someone tell me the proper name, because it's not the kick panel, right?) that is held by three Torx screws IIRC (I don't remember which size). Super easy mod. The original tiny stop does break easily upon removing it however.

But I agree with the others, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Me OTOH, I knew I wanted to reduce the travel if possible from early on.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93
I have the same shifter. A good move to install it in my opinion. I never did not like the clutch travel on the 335i and installed the BMS stop. Works great for me. In normal driving, my "flow" is much improved going through the gears. I use all 3 washers. Hey, for 10 bucks with no shipping, what a deal. Once you figure out where it is under the dash (so far under it is almost in Australia), you will see it is easy to adjust, taking literally 2 minutes to change the setting. Go for it!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
And I guess to 55s point, for the price you pay, why not buy it, install, and if you don't like it, take it out and call it a day?

The assumption here being that you investigated a clutch stop since you have some qualms with the clutch.
Good idea. i think since this is one of those things that is easy to go back to stock so I will try it. I will have Indy shop do the install since I am not a DIY person and more comfortable having a pro do it. (the only DIY I have done is install the BMS drop in filter and I had a hard time getting one of the clips back on the filter cover !). My next daily driver pricey mod will be getting the PE installed with black 3.5 dimisa tips. Guessing about $2500 installed. Again not for performance gains but for pure aural pleasure.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
Seriously gulshan you do not need to pay an indie to fit this. You just delve around the pedals, tease out the OEM stop and substitute the clutch stop. 10 second job.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Seriously gulshan you do not need to pay an indie to fit this. You just delve around the pedals, tease out the OEM stop and substitute the clutch stop. 10 second job.
And if you search, there are good instructions on the web AND written instructions included with most clutch stop purchases. It is really quite simple.

Quote:
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
And if you search, there are good instructions on the web AND written instructions included with most clutch stop purchases. It is really quite simple.
ok. You guys have given me confidence. I will attempt and post my review of driving impressions for other daily drivers after the install. Ordering the part next day or two. I am waiting for Chicago warm up. Sub zero chills expected starting monday..