Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Performance Center Delivery

Performance Center Delivery
Are you interested in picking up your new BMW at the Performance Delivery Center in beautiful South Carolina? Get all your questions about picking up your car answered here by staff from the Performance Delivery Center and other members who have already had the experience! ... View the PDC Wiki -- View the Delivery Date Calendar -- Add Your Delivery Date to the Calendar

Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Staritng to plan my PCD with a trip back to Philadelphia - suggestions welcome!

I don't have a confirmation yet but according to my CA I should be getting the car in early March and after doing extensive research over here (reading other posters' stories, PCD wiki, etc.) I am definitely in for a PCD!

I will be driving the car back to Philly and I would love to hear from others, especially those who did a similar drive back somewhere to East Coast NJ/NY/PA area. Mainly looking for tips about best roads to take, most scenic drives on the way, nicest towns/cities to visit. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated as I am in very early stages of planning.

From other posts here I already know a typical delivery day ends at around 3:30pm. My plan is to drive for about three/four hours, stay somewhere overnight and drive the rest of the way the next day. I won't be rushing back home, I want to take my time and see as much as possible on the way.

So excited for the whole experience!

Advertisement
Old 01-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
The blue ridge parkway is available if you drive north to Ashville. It will take you up into Virginia. The speed limit is 45mph or less so it is not the quick way. It is a very scenic route with lots of stopping for pictures opportunities. At near 45 mph it is not a challenging drive at all. There are turns but they are gradual. If you google "blue ridge parkway" you can get a free map with recommendations of places to stop along the way. If you have more time, you could go south in North Carolina a bit to the "tail of the dragon". It's a much more fun drive but quite short. There are scenic and fun to drive roads you can take on the way there. And you can pick up the south end of the BRP close to the tail of the dragon. Googling "tail of the dragon" will get you more information including a free map of the scenic roads in North Carolina.

If it fits your schedule, I stayed at the Osceola Mill B&B and really enjoyed it. It is an old converted mill with about 6 nice rooms and a restaurant on the first floor. It's less than 5 miles off the BRP and the road that takes you there starts out as a bit of a drivers road. It's hard to get to the speed limit and stay on the road, in other words.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Great suggestions, thanks so much! I was hoping for something exactly like this!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
If the weather is decent, consider driving the "Tail of the Dragon". It starts in western NC and heads into Tennessee. A bit of a detour but well worth it if the weather cooperates. You can then head east and pick up the parkway around Asheville. The parkway continues north as Skyline Drive and terminates in Front Royal, VA. You can then hop on US 11N and continue north paralleling I81 into PA where you can either take the PA turnpike to Philly or perhaps drive the Lincoln Highway, US30, if you want to see a bit of Americana as it passes through many towns and small cities between Chambersburg and the suburbs of Philly.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)FOR SALE(see ad on BMWCCA website)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)/PCD
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10/PCD
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
I'm doing a similar trip (Lehigh valley) in ~July. I'm planning on going north to Asheville, hitting the blue ridge parkway and staying the night in Roanoke. From there traveling the remainder of the parkway and then picking up highway 81 N.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d 2007 Z4M Road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
Great suggestions, thanks so much! I was hoping for something exactly like this!
Was wondering what you ended up doing.... I am doing PCD in September from Philly also. Did you do Tail of the Dragon, Moonshiners or any others? Any tips or suggestions?
Old 06-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: Mustang - 135i on order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzamonkey676 View Post
Was wondering what you ended up doing.... I am doing PCD in September from Philly also. Did you do Tail of the Dragon, Moonshiners or any others? Any tips or suggestions?
I did the Tail of the Dragon taking my car back home from the PCD. Honestly, the roads getting there and leading away are better than the Gap itself-- sure, there may not be as many curves over such a small number of miles, but there's also a smaller chance of someone in front of you and fewer folks trying to sell you a photograph like you're on Space Mountain or something.

I'm not saying "Don't bother", though. It's kinda worth doing these days just for the spectacle. Watching all the other nice pieces of machinery hope they'll get a nice drive through the Gap is a whole lot of fun.

My favorite road on that trip was either US 129 (which is the road that goes through Deal's Gap) after it met up with US 19 or US 58 through the Grayson Highlands.

Even keeping the needle on the left-hand side of the tachometer during the break-in period, these roads are well worth doing.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: '14 435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arasirsul View Post
I did the Tail of the Dragon taking my car back home from the PCD. Honestly, the roads getting there and leading away are better than the Gap itself-- sure, there may not be as many curves over such a small number of miles, but there's also a smaller chance of someone in front of you and fewer folks trying to sell you a photograph like you're on Space Mountain or something.

I'm not saying "Don't bother", though. It's kinda worth doing these days just for the spectacle. Watching all the other nice pieces of machinery hope they'll get a nice drive through the Gap is a whole lot of fun.

My favorite road on that trip was either US 129 (which is the road that goes through Deal's Gap) after it met up with US 19 or US 58 through the Grayson Highlands.

Even keeping the needle on the left-hand side of the tachometer during the break-in period, these roads are well worth doing.
I will be doing my PCD on 5/20, my birthday...Definitely returning via the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive. Giving serious consideration to checking out the Tail of the Dragon, which I have heard good things about from a motorcycle riding friend. Was thinking of heading there directly from PC. How long should it take? where is a good place to stay the first night? Any other hotel/B&B recommendations for the northern part of the Skyline Drive....

Current ride: 2014 435i M-Sport Estoril Blue, Beige, CW, DA, DA+, DHP, LP, PP, TP, MS Brakes, PS, HK. PCD 5/20/14

Most recent: 2007 335i Coupe, Sparkling Graphite, Step, Paddles, Sport Pkg, Nav, PDC, Rear Shade, USB/IPOD adapter ED 4/13/07

Retired: 2003 325i Coupe 5MT, 1993 Mazda MX6 5 Spd, 1980 Datsun 200 SX 5 Spd, 1977 TR7 4 Spd, 1972 Corolla 4 Spd, 1967 Camaro SS 350 4 Spd.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Thumbs up Congrats !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watever View Post
I will be doing my PCD on 5/20, my birthday...Definitely returning via the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive. Giving serious consideration to checking out the Tail of the Dragon, which I have heard good things about from a motorcycle riding friend. Was thinking of heading there directly from PC. How long should it take? where is a good place to stay the first night? Any other hotel/B&B recommendations for the northern part of the Skyline Drive....
Have a fabulous time. We did our PCD 10/2012. Still seems like yesterday . 1st Class from the
Moment you are picked up in a new X5 or 6 Series Grand Coupe , to the Performance Driving &
The presentation of your new BMW. Enjoy. & share lots of pictures , & or video of your upcoming experience .
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.