Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
Battery Questions

I have heard some stories of 6ers not driving their car for a few days and the battery can be drained when the car has not been driven for a few days or weeks. Is this true?
Old 01-16-2013, 05:56 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
The answer is yes! just read all the threads to tell you, but clearly there are many reasons why this would happen, least of all the age of the battery etc., but fair to say it is an issue that many now put their cars on a trickle charge were they can!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i X-Drive
Why is this the Consumer's problem?

My 650i is only eight months old, but I've already had the battery replaced once due to this problem. It seems to me that this is a design flaw, but BMW (two dealers and the BMW customer care line) tells me it's MY fault. According to them, I don't drive the car in the profile they have defined as "normal": a minimum of 20 highway miles a day, every day. They assert that if I don't meet that profile, I'm driving the car outside of "normal limits", and the have refused to honor the warranty on the battery if the car doesn't record that profile. That logic seems a bit tortured to me, and I doubt it would pass the "reasonable man" test in court. Am I the only person who thinks this is the manufacturer's problem and not the consumer's problem? Has anyone pushed the issue with BMW?

Nevertheless, I can certainly drive into the garage, pop the hood and put a trickle charger onto the battery; but frankly,I didn't drop almost six figures on a car to have to do that. Is there some sort of aftermarket wiring harness I can attach to the terminals in the engine compartment so that at least I don't have to open the hood - sort of like a block heater?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: 645CI, CorvetteZ06
I just replaced my battery also. I drive my car maybe once a week and my Corvette maybe once a month. I keep a battery tender on both. The computer systems on these cars constantly draw off the battery.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona745 View Post
I just replaced my battery also. I drive my car maybe once a week and my Corvette maybe once a month. I keep a battery tender on both. The computer systems on these cars constantly draw off the battery.
Just wondering, where can I purchase a battery tender from?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Living in Fast Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVUSAFA73 View Post
My 650i is only eight months old, but I've already had the battery replaced once due to this problem. It seems to me that this is a design flaw, but BMW (two dealers and the BMW customer care line) tells me it's MY fault. According to them, I don't drive the car in the profile they have defined as "normal": a minimum of 20 highway miles a day, every day. They assert that if I don't meet that profile, I'm driving the car outside of "normal limits", and the have refused to honor the warranty on the battery if the car doesn't record that profile. That logic seems a bit tortured to me, and I doubt it would pass the "reasonable man" test in court. Am I the only person who thinks this is the manufacturer's problem and not the consumer's problem? Has anyone pushed the issue with BMW?

Nevertheless, I can certainly drive into the garage, pop the hood and put a trickle charger onto the battery; but frankly,I didn't drop almost six figures on a car to have to do that. Is there some sort of aftermarket wiring harness I can attach to the terminals in the engine compartment so that at least I don't have to open the hood - sort of like a block heater?
I know it's ridiculous, but if the car is near six-figures when it's brand new, you should not have to do something like this. I rarely drive my Lexus SUV and it's fine when it has not been started for weeks.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Michael

~One of the issues is the intelligent battery management system, if you leave any device plugged into any aux power socket, even if the device is not plugged in, ie mobile phone etc. then the system thinks it needs to stay in operation mode and does not go into sleep mode, so drains the battery.........

Old 01-16-2013, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci Convertible
"Just wondering, where can I purchase a battery tender from? "

http://smartercharger.com/

I believe the one that is available from BMW is made by these folks. I have a the CTEK Multi US 3300 .

They also sell a comfort indicator with eyelets that can be connected to the terminals under the hood permanently and simplifies hook-up.

I think it will still require you to pop the hood because the leads are not long enough to reach the radiator grill.

Last edited by colink; 01-16-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 645CI, CorvetteZ06
I purchased mine at Autozone. Any auto parts store should carry them. You can get ones with mutiple outlets to charge more than one car.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
Just wondering, where can I purchase a battery tender from?
You can find the CTEK on Amazon or eBay. The dealer will probably carry CTEK too. Same goes for AutoZone.

Here is a thread on smart trickle chargers.

The battery draining to zero if you take short trips is a design flaw for sure. Many people have short commutes to public transit (park daily at subway or train parking lot) and to produce a car that cannot handle this without killing the battery is a major design flaw.

I am surprised BMW gets away with the "unfavorable driver profile" line that they love to recite. This terminology is mentioned in the TIS (service manual) and it appears BMW employees are trained to blurt it out whenever there is a battery problem.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by colink View Post
"Just wondering, where can I purchase a battery tender from? "

http://smartercharger.com/

I believe the one that is available from BMW is made by these folks. I have a the CTEK Multi US 3300 .

They also sell a comfort indicator with eyelets that can be connected to the terminals under the hood permanently and simplifies hook-up.

I think it will still require you to pop the hood because the leads are not long enough to reach the radiator grill.
Hi ! I bought a CTEK 7000 and connect it in the boot where the battery is, via a hard wire with plug and socket, I did some pics in a previous thread on the subject, very easy and I could close the boot as the power cable quite thin. Did not have an issue with ventilation as the CTEK charges in a different way,ie intelligent charger, but common sense even then says make sure the vent is clear etc..

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 E63650i View Post
I know it's ridiculous, but if the car is near six-figures when it's brand new, you should not have to do something like this. I rarely drive my Lexus SUV and it's fine when it has not been started for weeks.
I've had my '07 vert for 14 months. The battery was replaced prior to my getting the car.

I travel a great deal so the car frequently sits for days and occasionally for 2 weeks or more. When I'm home I do drive it a fair amount, and most trips I make are at least 10-15 miles each way. I could put on 200 miles on a weekend easily.

I also frequently put the top up or down in the garage with the the engine off.

I can't explain it but I never have a problem. I have a battery tender but I have never used it.

Maybe it's the long drives when I drive, and the battery is getting topped off. Maybe I'm just lucky. Maybe it will be dead when I go out today.

BMW may think we have "Unfavorable driving profiles" but I think they have "unrealistic engineering and design criteria".

There is so much about this machine that is "Over Engineered" that it takes away from the pleasure of driving it, makes needlessly unreliable, and certainly adds to the cost of owning it.

That being said, I had a 1979 733i in the late 80's. Beautiful white/red leather/5 speed. Compared to that car, these are bullet proof fantastic cars.

I also had a '76 MGB in the early 80's. British racing green perfect condition, so much fun, and a total POS! It broke down daily, and I still miss it!

I have a friend that has an '07 M6 SMG vert that he bought brand new. He had to pay $$$$ and over list to get it at the time. He is a serious expert and there are lots of mods and lots of $$$ in this baby. He has only 17K miles on it!

There is a reason Ferrari's that are 10 years old only have 3,000 miles on them. You can't drive them like a Kia. If you want to play you have to pay. At least many of us use the 6 as a daily driver. Try that with a Lambo.

I consider it as much a hobby as a car. Yea, these cars are high maintenance, but I'll keep mine.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

Last edited by roseng; 01-17-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
+ 1 on Roseng comments. I haven't touched my battery or placed it on a tender since I bought it 2.5 years ago. My profile is mostly daily driver but she stays in the garage on bad weather and whenever I travel, so more than a few 5-10 day breaks with no driving. Never any issues.... knock on wood

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci
Getting a little worried, just bought mine recently and usually tend to let my cars sit for weeks with little to no drive time. Not sure if/when the battery was replaced. It wasn't listed on any service report, although the previous owner appears to have kept it in wonderful condition, the maintenance shows he cared about the car. Looked to try to find a date on the battery, nothing. Though I mentioned to a friend, the battery looks brand new. He said, that's because it's in the trunk...duh!..lol.

It's an 05 with about 45k miles on it, when do batteries usually go on these cars? Seems perfect right now.

Last edited by GetMeABeer; 01-17-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
~One of the issues is the intelligent battery management system, if you leave any device plugged into any aux power socket, even if the device is not plugged in, ie mobile phone etc. then the system thinks it needs to stay in operation mode and does not go into sleep mode, so drains the battery.........
Good information,

No wonder my iPod get jammed many times, almost once a month due to overcharge.

Besides, when I off the car, I still hear some sounds coming from the Nav DVD drive like its operating. Should I be worry for that?

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 AM
Michael

The car takes a while before it goes into sleep mode, so you will hear various devices until it shuts off, But ! as I said it waits for any opportunity to stay awake, which is why leaving certain things plugged into the aux socket etc the car thinks it needs to stay out of sleep mode!!!! Sleep mode is also a timed interval before it engages which is why when some of the guys just leave the top down and the doors unlocked don't have an issue!!!! One has to remember some systems are on!!! all the time like the anti-theft etc..

Last edited by 645/333; 01-18-2013 at 03:34 AM.