Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
DS Mode and Sport Mode combined at the same time?

Hi guys, just a quick question:

So I understand that DS Mode that you activate by turning the gear lever left, and Sport Mode on the DDC settings are slightly different, but what happens if you turn both on at the same time? Does it harm the car in any way? other than destroying mpg of course.

thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
No it doesn't harm the car. This actually is the way to fully disable Auto Start Stop without using the button. In fact on my ActiveHybrid there is no ASS disable button and this is the only way to defeat it (though there's less of a reason to want to on the AH)

The shift program feels identical to me.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi 2013
I have a question. When you press the lever to left do you press the small button on left and can you press it while driving
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimikins5226 View Post
Hi guys, just a quick question:

So I understand that DS Mode that you activate by turning the gear lever left, and Sport Mode on the DDC settings are slightly different, but what happens if you turn both on at the same time? Does it harm the car in any way? other than destroying mpg of course.

thanks!
Two girls, one car. LOL.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma123 View Post
I have a question. When you press the lever to left do you press the small button on left and can you press it while driving
No need to push the button on the left and yes, you can goes to DS mode while in motion.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
It is not. Sport mode will hold a gear to higher RPMs before upshifting under part throttle, downshifts earlier under braking, allows fairly aggressive engine braking and will generally be at least one gear lower than Drive at any given speed. DS also will not use top gear so leaving it there all day on a long highway run will hurt fuel economy a bit. The differences are most apparent when you start to push the car; in relaxed driving you may not notice anything unless you look at the tach.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-16-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
No it doesn't harm the car. This actually is the way to fully disable Auto Start Stop without using the button. In fact on my ActiveHybrid there is no ASS disable button and this is the only way to defeat it (though there's less of a reason to want to on the AH)

It is VERY different. If your car doesnt show S1-S8 in the dash and SPORT for mode then it isnt in the correct mode. There is a SUBSTANTIAL difference between the sport shift mode and regular.

Just a note if you are accelerating and take your foot of the gas as you click the lever over to S you may confuse the transmission. There has been a few time now where the car will downshift while accelerating and stick in a gear at redline for 3-4 seconds before it realizes what is going on and then corrects itself. I now try to make sure I am either switching to S when I am stopped, going slowly or continuously accelerating.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
DS also will not use top gear so leaving it there all day on a long highway run will hurt fuel economy a bit.
DS will shift into eighth at approximately 100 MPH.

DS is obviously not for cruising.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I was saying that the SPORT mode + D and SPORT mode + DS shift programs feel almost identical. Both keep engine revs high and hold onto the gear after spirited runs. Of course that's very different from COMFORT + D.

Are you guys seeing a different behavior out of D vs DS with the experience switch set to SPORT mode? (other than ASS defeat)
Old 01-16-2013, 05:41 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
DS will shift into eighth at approximately 100 MPH.
Well that certainly explains why I never saw it happen in the loaners.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Luxury
I actually talked to my ca about this on delivery, in Germany. He told me that the ds mode on the gear selector just puts the transmission into sport mode, higher shifting rpms etc. Putting the drive experience button puts the whole car into sports mode, tightens suspension, steering, makes pedals more responsive, and puts the transmission into sport mode. So no benefit to putting car into sports mode and ds mode. He said the ds mode was mostly there in case you needed a little extra engine power for passing or going up a hill. Full sport mode when you wanted to driver more aggressively overall, like curvy mountain roads. My driving experiences have confirmed his statements, I can't tell any difference in transmission function between sport and sport plus ds.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenit2 View Post
I actually talked to my ca about this on delivery, in Germany. He told me that the ds mode on the gear selector just puts the transmission into sport mode, higher shifting rpms etc. Putting the drive experience button puts the whole car into sports mode, tightens suspension, steering, makes pedals more responsive, and puts the transmission into sport mode. So no benefit to putting car into sports mode and ds mode. He said the ds mode was mostly there in case you needed a little extra engine power for passing or going up a hill. Full sport mode when you wanted to driver more aggressively overall, like curvy mountain roads. My driving experiences have confirmed his statements, I can't tell any difference in transmission function between sport and sport plus ds.
That is not true. If it were when you change the car mode to sport the transmission would show s1-s8 instead of D. It does not change and the shift changes are VERY different in sports mode than in D.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
That is not true. If it were when you change the car mode to sport the transmission would show s1-s8 instead of D. It does not change and the shift changes are VERY different in sports mode than in D.
I have to disagree. Transmission in ds and sport act the same in my car, only difference is in sport other things change as well like gas pedal gets more responsive, steering tightens up, and suspension tightens.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335i M Sport, 330i
Well, M Sport line with sport AT has only S1-S7 when you shift to the left. And I noticed, when I am in sport mode (D) at around 80mph and shift lever to the left, it down shifts and shows S7 and RPM slightly jumps. I drove loaner Luxury line with regular AT and yes DS mode has S8 and no difference when you shift to the left while in sport mode.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:15 PM

Interesting, hadn't considered that the sport at would behave differently than the regular at.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
The user manual states that if the sport transmission is in M/S mode and the car is in Sport+ mode, the transmission will not shift except through the paddles. No kickdown, no shift at redline. If that's true, it's the first automatic transmission I've seen with that behavior.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sedan
Very interesting. I'll have to check out any differences tomorrow morning. BTW, when I'm in manual shift M/S mode, my gears are indicated M1-M8. Due to my 'regular' A/T, maybe.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3
I find this gives me the best of all options: I have the Sport mode (button selection) set only to change the chassis settings to sport (with the Dynamic Chassis and Variable steering this tightens the car up and if feels like my 2010 328i) but the transmission shifts stay as in Comfort. If I want the Sport shift points I just push the lever over to DS. As I have an AH3 this lets me push it to the left to keep the engine running (in stop and go traffic, driving through malls over speed bumps the constant on/off of the engine gets annoying) and keep the suspension soft, if I want full sport mode I push the lever to DS and hit the button to put the chassis into Sport mode.
There are times I want the suspension and steering tighter but less aggressive shift points, times I want the engine always on and ready for a quick acceleration but still have the chassis in comfort mode, and times I want everything in comfort or everything in sport mode: this allows me to to this.
Also, in D/S mode the transmission is in full Automatic with higher RPM shift points, until you use it to manually change gears: after that it will automatically downshift at stop lights or slowing down, but you need to manually upshift. It can be re-set to full Auto mode by pushing the lever back to D and leave it in standard D, or then push it back to D/S for fully automatic shift points. There is still Sport+ for the most aggressive auto shift and sport chassis settings.
I really like it, I tend to drive quite a bit in D/S but manually upshifting when in heavy traffic or neighborhood with a lot of stop and go, then put it back into D once on the open road.
I don't have the paddles as having had manuals in my early cars I like using the shift lever.