Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
If you drove a car that you thought had DHP and couldn't notice a difference between modes, then the car you were driving didn't have DHP. It's not subtle.
When my wife was driving our 335, I switched between the various modes on her. The difference blew her away even though she is not normally into these kind of things.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto: abcdef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
If you drove a car that you thought had DHP and couldn't notice a difference between modes, then the car you were driving didn't have DHP. It's not subtle.
See, this is where I feel like a yutz.

I went out yesterday and worked really hard to feel the difference. It was raining so couldn't push things and so I just tried to feel a difference on various road surfaces. In some cases I might imagine I felt a difference but if there was one, it was indeed subtle.

Yes, I have DHP; yes, it is configured to be active in Sport mode; and yes, I crawled under to check for shipping blocks.

Can someone give me some simple directions for actions to take - types of roads to drive, or how hard to push the car - that will make me jump up and say: "Ah ha! Now I feel it!"
Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
As a side note, do not compare the steering feel of other cars with totally different setups.

I read stuff like, "Well I test drove a base e90 on 16" wheels with last generation run-flat all-seasons, a soft suspension, and a standard steering wheel and it's steering feel felt SO MUCH WORSE/DISCONNECTED/LIGHT than my f30 on modern summer-tire run-flats, a sport suspension, and a sport steering wheel."
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Can someone give me some simple directions for actions to take - types of roads to drive, or how hard to push the car - that will make me jump up and say: "Ah ha! Now I feel it!"
If you don't feel the car stiffen up then there is something wrong with the car or you just aren't in tune with what it's doing.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
As a side note, do not compare the steering feel of other cars with totally different setups."
Good point! I have been guilty about doing that too in comparing the steering of our last E46 to our F30.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
See, this is where I feel like a yutz.

I went out yesterday and worked really hard to feel the difference. It was raining so couldn't push things and so I just tried to feel a difference on various road surfaces. In some cases I might imagine I felt a difference but if there was one, it was indeed subtle.

Take you car on a stretch of a winding road in your area, preferably with hills and when traffic is light and try it on the different modes and then see if you can feel the difference.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Drive over a speed bump in comfort then in sport.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post
Take you car on a stretch of a winding road in your area, preferably with hills and when traffic is light and try it on the different modes and then see if you can feel the difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
Drive over a speed bump in comfort then in sport.
Thanks. Did both of the above and couldn't feel any real difference.

Took the car to my CA (who is a better driver and knows BMWs a bit more than I) and it was his feeling that 1) the car did indeed feel like it had Adaptive M (we knew that, just confirming that he felt it) and 2) he also perceived no difference between Comfort and Sport modes.

There is an open question if there SHOULD be a perceptible difference - based on info from here and other places my answer is "yes there should".
Old 01-15-2013, 12:53 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
It should be a very noticeable difference. In my case as soon as I turn on sport mode and the suspension tightens up I can feel every little crease and heave in the roadway... which I cannot feel on comfort mode. You might just not have as much sensitivity to it. I've driven cars with very stiff sport suspensions for over 15 years, the difference is night and day. If you can't notice it then I'd say you wasted your $$.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 AM

Dealership is still researching but they report they had another employee drive a car they had on the lot with DHP. The report: "He couldn't tell the difference on that car either."

So I now have 3 people (one being me) reporting on two different cars that they feel no difference.

Strange.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

*facepalm*
Old 01-17-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Quote:
Dealership is still researching but they report they had another employee drive a car they had on the lot with DHP. The report: "He couldn't tell the difference on that car either."

So I now have 3 people (one being me) reporting on two different cars that they feel no difference.

Strange.
If you can't feel a difference, how do you even know it's equipped or doing anything?

The entire point of having multiple modes/options is so that you can FEEL a difference. If you can't, they may as well be fake buttons.

At the same time, many people are prone to the placebo effect of their own expectations. This can exaggerate what they believe they notice. A good example is how many people think a sport suspension has dramatically increased their handling ability, while in reality it's actually decreased their car's abilities due to inferior dynamic suspension geometry.

One of my favorite examples of that is sway bars: Often times people like sway bars because they remove body roll and perhaps increases neutrality. And very frequently as well, the installation of the sway bar actually decreases the limits of the car because the tire contact patch is now no longer optimized when the car is loaded.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Strange.
Thanks for your update.

Out of curiosity, which models did these people drive that felt no difference: Sport Line, M-Sport?

Since the person at the dealership could not "tell the difference" and you state that they are "still researching," in what way are they investigating it? Have they reported these findings to BMW or are they checking out the cars that the drivers could not feel the difference?

I find it strange that BMW would market and charge $1000 for something that has no effect? Could these cars be defective in some way?

Bob

Last edited by NordicBob; 01-17-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
If you can't feel a difference, how do you even know it's equipped or doing anything?

The entire point of having multiple modes/options is so that you can FEEL a difference. If you can't, they may as well be fake buttons.

At the same time, many people are prone to the placebo effect of their own expectations. This can exaggerate what they believe they notice. A good example is how many people think a sport suspension has dramatically increased their handling ability, while in reality it's actually decreased their car's abilities due to inferior dynamic suspension geometry.

One of my favorite examples of that is sway bars: Often times people like sway bars because they remove body roll and perhaps increases neutrality. And very frequently as well, the installation of the sway bar actually decreases the limits of the car because the tire contact patch is now no longer optimized when the car is loaded.
No placebo affect here, thanks. As soon as the car is put into sport mode I can feel the all of the frost heaves and pavement joints as the area where I live has concrete slabs instead of glassy smooth asphalt. There are also several road dips, where, at the same speeds, the car goes over those dips feeling completely 100% different if it is in sport, vs comfort. I'm not "imagining" that, it's obvious.

Additionally, the car is much easier to toss into the corners when it is in sport mode than when it is in comfort mode.

I am highly skeptical that there's anything wrong with any of these cars... other than people who simply don't care about how the car drives. I once had a car with a broken seat frame, you could feel the broken frame tapping around under the seat... it was OBVIOUS, but two different mechanics at my Audi dealer "couldn't feel a thing". After I insisted they look at it more closely they took the seat apart and discovered the frame was broken. Duh.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 01-17-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:

Strange.
I thought I'd go back and close the loop on this one.
  • I couldn't feel any difference between Comfort and Sport/Sport+ modes in the suspension.
  • Had my CA drive the car and he agreed there was no difference.
  • Was told someone else at the dealership had driven a different car with DHP and they reported no difference.
  • BMW NA said to have it brought in for service.

In the interim I was able to create a couple situations where I thought I felt a difference, though less than I would have expected.
  • Service department test-drove the car yesterday and reported it felt correct. They went through the system and reported everything - sensors and struts - were working correctly.
  • Service manager took me out for a drive afterwards. Again in several situations I felt a difference, though the manager did agree the difference isn't all that great.

My conclusion: It works, but my expectations were too high.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I thought I'd go back and close the loop on this one.

My conclusion: It works, but my expectations were too high.
Out of curiosity, which F30 model do you own?
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i M Sport (F30)
I own an F30 without Adaptive Suspension. But when put in Sports or Sports + mode, the steering and throttle responses and the shifting point have changed and they are very obvious. So I cannot imagine the Adaptive Suspension changes to be so subtle??!

I have also driven Audi TT with Magnetic Ride, and the difference between "Normal" and "Sport" was very obviously, so again, I would expect BMW active suspension to perform similarly.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordicBob View Post
Out of curiosity, which F30 model do you own?
2013 no-line 328 xDrive.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks200906 View Post
I own an F30 without Adaptive Suspension. But when put in Sports or Sports + mode, the steering and throttle responses and the shifting point have changed and they are very obvious. So I cannot imagine the Adaptive Suspension changes to be so subtle??!
Agreed on the throttle/shift points. And of course subtle is in the eye of the beholder - maybe I'm just dense/insensitive. That wouldn't surprise anyone who knows me..
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Agreed on the throttle/shift points. And of course subtle is in the eye of the beholder - maybe I'm just dense/insensitive. That wouldn't surprise anyone who knows me..
Bingo.