Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-16-2013, 02:11 AM

Mein Auto: 525TDS Touring 1998 (E39)
How to install navigation unit without removing HU frame?

Hi guys

I just bought an aftermarket DVD from here (http://www.autocarplaza.com/car-dvd-...h-can-bus.html) and with a housing that fits perfectly into the original HU frame for the tapedeck and radio .

The problem is that when installed, the unit sits way too low in the 'hole' when fitted into the frame . The retailer suggest that I remove the entire frame but that strikes me as odd - firstly because the new unit is formed so as to fit snugly into the existing frame and secondly because I cannot see how then the new unit would be held in place?

It would be great to hear from someone who has done a similar installation. If the solution is to remove the frame, my next question is: how on earth do I do that? It seems to be fastened within the entire front panel and not easily removable...

Thanks in advance!

Dan_a_
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

Keep in mind that unit is 'shaped' for a BMW X5, so it'll not match completely the lines in the E39 interior. From there, do take a look around on this and other BMW forums where posts including pictures have been made showing how to fit them as best you can. Owners who bought these units and fitted them reported on forums quite quickly about fitting issues etc so you just have to see if you wish to do the cutting aspects to get it to sit right or not etc.

Once you have it fitted as best you can, you'll need to hope it works properly too...

Good luck!

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 AM

Mein Auto: 525TDS Touring 1998 (E39)
Suggestions for sites to look at?

Thanks Dennis

That was helpful, if slightly depressing. I have so far not been able to find any posts of people reporting on how they install the unit in a slightly different model. If you know of any I would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to scott740il
Mein Auto: 1999 540iT Wagon
Id love to see pics and hear how you did the install when you're done.