Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
OK, I've learned a few things since my last post. Most recently, the frame-less windows on the coupe suck when the car has been coated in ice. The windows couldn't move down enough to open and close the doors properly. Getting the door open wasn't too hard, but I couldn't close it all the way from inside the car. I drove to the gas station this morning with a door ajar indicated until I was able to use their antifreeze and wiper to soak the rail until the window moved.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
OK, I've learned a few things since my last post. Most recently, the frame-less windows on the coupe suck when the car has been coated in ice. The windows couldn't move down enough to open and close the doors properly. Getting the door open wasn't too hard, but I couldn't close it all the way from inside the car. I drove to the gas station this morning with a door ajar indicated until I was able to use their antifreeze and wiper to soak the rail until the window moved.
Yep....this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^can be a real pain in the balls during cold weather....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-14-2013, 10:31 AM
It wont suck itself!

Mein Auto: 2000 323ci/92 Mustang GT
In any normal car, when the doors are locked and you use the door handle the door open, in my e46 they don't, It was annoying me because I would start to exit the car and realize I had to hit the unlock button.. till I saw my son open the door without unlocking it.. My 11yr old told me I had to open the door handle twice and that would open the door without having to hit the unlock button.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
i discovered what that blue/white/red knob did between the two vents on the dash.. and the butterfly valve in the exhaust, which is now stuck open :-)
Old 01-14-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
that it is both enjoyable and maddening at the same time.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Every nut and bolt is pretty much rusted together.

F*ck cars from the North.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
I noticed that my auto trans has a sport feature - now I use it most of the time - so much better. Obviously, I also realized I should have purchased a manual.

Bought the car in the summer and by winter went to use the windshield washers and the motor was broken- just fixed for 20 bucks.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
My car has a full Bilstein suspension setup lowered 1.5 inches along with all of the rubber bushings replaced with solid polyurethane. The PO even took the time to put in a set of performance camshafts.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 01-14-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 Coupe
Uh. I learned my car had been in a small front end collision, I learned it gets no grip in rain, I learned I payed too much and it wasn't an m. I got too excited when I found a z3 coupe and just bought it without really checking it out. I didn't know they made a non m. What the hell was the point of that?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
i discovered my ZHP came with Shark Injector installed

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325Xi
there is a flashlight in the glove compartment, it plugs in to a charging outlet so its always ready to go! its my first bmw...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Trick from a kid who learned to drive in the snow belt... Heat a pot of water (don't boil) and pour it over your door and window before you get in in the morning.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 01-15-2013, 04:46 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman707 View Post
there is a flashlight in the glove compartment, it plugs in to a charging outlet so its always ready to go! its my first bmw...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Bimmer App
Calling that thing a flashlight is a bit generous.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Moving the turn signal stalk UP or DOWN with the ignition key off illuminates the parking lights on that side.
Pushing the odo reset button with the ignition key off will tell you the mileage in the cluster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
Prowlin

Mein Auto: 2004 325ci
Quote:
This ^ the trunk won't close either in these conditions
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
It's not as hard to do maintenance as I thought.
A stuck thermostat robbed me of at least 5 MPG for who knows how long.
Buy OEM whenever possible because aftermarket may not fit as intended.
The Stealership may or may not have your best interest at heart.
The human head weighs about eight pounds.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Quote:
A very easy solution to this is, as you park the car in the evening, you roll the window down 1/4" or so. Just enough to clear the frame, but not enough to move the window out of contact with the seal. I do this whenever there's a threat of a freeze, and it works like a charm. If I remember....
Old 01-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LX-biker View Post
I dicovered better do not use windshiled washer at mall parking if sombody passing in front of the car- headlight washer may scary crap out of them if activated.
I still haven't had a chance to see/hear the headlight washer in action.

The owner's manual says five window sprays will trigger the headlight washer but how long (0.1 second to 5 second?) is considered a spray?

If the headlight is not on, five window sprays will not trigger the headlight washer.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330cic
Good looking woman

I learned that my car is like a good looking woman -a lot of maintenance to keep up, friends are jealous, expensive to keep, I like her better with her top off, exterior does not like rain, and moody as sh*t. But in the end I like her in my garage and not in someone else's.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
While installing an aux plug into the HK / DCS plate I found a belly button ring. I took it out and placed it in the cup holder. The next time my gf was in the car she saw it and I got in trouble. That was hard to explain.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabmw1 View Post
I learned what the "clown nose" is, and that turning it switches my mirror between daylight and dim. I looked all over the place for the switch for the mirror at first, even read the manual, but did not figure out how to dim until I saw a post either on this forum or maybe the wiki.
For about tenth time, I tried to turn the "clown nose" and short of breaking it, IT WILL NOT TURN!! What's the deal? Are you all pulling my leg??
Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wik009 View Post
For about tenth time, I tried to turn the "clown nose" and short of breaking it, IT WILL NOT TURN!! What's the deal? Are you all pulling my leg??
If you have the auto-dimming mirror, the nose doesn't turn (there's no need for it to turn).
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM

The gas intake door is locked/unlocked based on the driver side door lock status.
If the driver side door is locked and gas intake door is open, you cannot close it.