Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM
John Voight's BMW

Mein Auto: 05' 330i ZHP 6MT
welcome home party pics!

ok, so not much of a party, but the zhp arrived in pristine condition today. i spent 4 days worrying during the transit, but they did a great job. i felt better knowing it was riding next to a M3 and a pristine 1970 porsche 914 targa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0232.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	357747  
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Welcome to CA. Off for a SMOG check I presume...

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Welcome to CA. Off for a SMOG check I presume...
Ha, I'm going to let my current plates ride for a bit unless I get hassled before then to make the change to CA plates.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
Beautiful car. What color interior?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:02 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Beautiful car. What color interior?
Thanks! Black leather interior (though I wish it was Alcantara).
Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Depending on where you live, you may be able to ride your current registration like you say. But keep in mind that "foreigners" are easy to mess with. When I was in Hawaii, the locals were quick to suggest that I ditch the CA plates because they were often messed with.

If you find yourself in a good neighborhood 24/7, I say keep your existing plates.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Make sure you tell the DMV a little white lie when you register it then. They will register from the date you tell them it came into the state. Oh, and they will charge you tax again. They will ask how much you paid for the car and assess tax based on that.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Depending on where you live, you may be able to ride your current registration like you say. But keep in mind that "foreigners" are easy to mess with. When I was in Hawaii, the locals were quick to suggest that I ditch the CA plates because they were often messed with.
I suggest Hawaii is its own brand of replusive.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Oh, and they will charge you tax again. They will ask how much you paid for the car and assess tax based on that.
Only if it was purchased within the last 365 days...

Quote:
Use Tax: Collected at the same rate as your California city of residence sales tax. Legislation requires payment of use tax on a vehicle purchased outside California and brought into California within 365 days of the purchase date.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

See "fees that may be due"

There are so many out of state cars here you can blend in... just don't get stopped by the Po-Po and you'll be OK. Not that we don't need your money for bureaucracy, I mean road maintenance.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin

Last edited by jvr826; 01-17-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
I suggest Hawaii is its own brand of replusive.
Yes, which is part of the reason I left. If you're a local that's never known anything outside of the state, then a lot of that is passed off as "normal". That applies everywhere though.

To the OP - I can confirm that the tax only applies if the car is purchased within the last year. And I forgot about the registration requirements for "residents". If you fit any of the definitions below of a CA resident, then the car needs to be registered within 20 days :

- Accept gainful employment in California.
- Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
- Rent or lease a residence in California.
- Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
- Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

DMV link

Welcome to CA. I've moved quite a few times, each residence with a culture very different from the last. All things considered, CA is a nice place to live, just keep an open mind and form your own opinion.

Paolo

Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
My friend moved back here from Oregon about 6 months ago and hasn't bothered changing plates back yet so don't worry about it. Everyone in California (except me obviously :SMUG: ) is from SOMEWHERE ELSE (I kid - wait no I don't) so there are literally plates from EVERY STATE flying around here.

To continue, I also saw someone with PINK headlights last night for crisssakes - how that doesn't get a CHP chopper out and Amber alert I don't know.......it probably easier for them to just pull me over every 3 years for going 3 miles over the limit.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 01-17-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM
John Voight's BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvx5832 View Post
Yes, which is part of the reason I left. If you're a local that's never known anything outside of the state, then a lot of that is passed off as "normal". That applies everywhere though.

To the OP - I can confirm that the tax only applies if the car is purchased within the last year. And I forgot about the registration requirements for "residents". If you fit any of the definitions below of a CA resident, then the car needs to be registered within 20 days :

- Accept gainful employment in California.
- Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
- Rent or lease a residence in California.
- Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
- Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).

DMV link

Welcome to CA. I've moved quite a few times, each residence with a culture very different from the last. All things considered, CA is a nice place to live, just keep an open mind and form your own opinion.

Paolo
20 days?! ha! found out my license expires in MN in March, good timing i guess fulling "using" up what i paid for as license fees.