Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 M Sport
TPMS Question

Okay this may be a dumb question, but I'm just looking for clarification as even with searching and plenty of reading, I'm getting confused.

I keep reading no TPMS in Canadian cars, but my car has the metal valve stems which everything I read says is the clear indicator between have and not, i.e. rubber vs metal. I have also ready some posts places where members also from Canada reported having TPMS in their BMW, I'm reading the '09+ do, which my model year is '09

So would I have TPMS then? or do I somehow have the metal valve stems and not the actual TPMS

Thanks

Last edited by WPGX3; 01-15-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
Yes you would have TPMS - it is/was not an option, just standard equipment up here in Canada as well
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John320 View Post
Yes you would have TPMS - it is/was not an option, just standard equipment up here in Canada as well
Okay thanks. Everyone has been telling me I wouldn't need to get the sensors with new wheel purchase, that its not used by BMW in Canada, but from what your saying then, guess I need to purchase a set ?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
As I understand it, the situation is:

- all current BMW Canadian models use FTM not TPMS as TPMS is not mandatory here

- it is possible some earlier models, such as a 2009 X3, could have had TPMS installed in anticipation of Canada making it mandatory, or just for BMW's convenience

- any plan Canada had for enacting the equivalent of the U.S. TREAD Act has been put on long term hold pending clear evidence that it is needed or would be effective

- having metal valve stems alone is not confirmation of TPMS (but the reset procedure saying ACTIVE is - for those with iDrive)
(years ago metal valve stems were considered a nice upgrade aesthetically)

- some tire shops may sell and install TPMS sensors to Canadian BMW owners that just sit there inactive because there is no way to configure them
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
As I understand it, the situation is:

- all current BMW Canadian models use FTM not TPMS as TPMS is not mandatory here

- it is possible some earlier models, such as a 2009 X3, could have had TPMS installed in anticipation of Canada making it mandatory, or just for BMW's convenience

- any plan Canada had for enacting the equivalent of the U.S. TREAD Act has been put on long term hold pending clear evidence that it is needed or would be effective

- having metal valve stems alone is not confirmation of TPMS (but the reset procedure saying ACTIVE is - for those with iDrive)
(years ago metal valve stems were considered a nice upgrade aesthetically)

- some tire shops may sell and install TPMS sensors to Canadian BMW owners that just sit there inactive because there is no way to configure them
Thanks Supercourse. My thought process is this, I'll assume with about 99% certainty then that I do not have TPMS but FTM, and when switching wheels since I have my own guy, I will have them confirm my suspicion, and if I happen to have them I will switch them over to the new wheel/tire combo.

I do infact have iDrive, so I will pay attention to the reset as you mentioned to ensure I do not have TPMS as well during switch.

My thought process is much like yours, thinking for simplicity sake i ended having metal valve stems without actually having TPMS equipped as BMW thought it just easier, but only time will tell. I just wasn't sure as earlier years (before my '09) were not TPMS, but talk from what I read was they wanted to make the switch, but as you stated newer ones are still not, so I wasn't sure if somehow my model yr being between they tried it for some reason.

Thanks for help guys

Last edited by WPGX3; 01-16-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
With no disrespect intended to S/C above, who does have vast knowledge and is helpful to all of us on the forum - I will still say the 2009 X3 came with TPMS, and thus you should have a presser sensor on each wheel. I can say this because I have them on my 2008, and it came with the car (not an option thing, and it wouldnĎt be just in Ontario). At the time I didnít really want them, because it meant buying new sensors at extra cost (approx. $200) for winter tires with rims, but having said that, although itís not the most sophisticated system they are helpful and did show one day that presser was getting lower due to a small nail in the tread . ( I keep a presser gauge in the car so was able to determine I could make it to a tire repair place without a problem). There was no change in this regard from 08 to 09. The North American X3 originally came with the FTM system but changed to the TPMS in 06. I agree although it was/is not mandated in Canada to have them ( and the silver shaft doesnít mean anything) for what ever reason by 08 ( if not prior) thatís how they were sold here. ( unless removed for some reason)I havenít looked, but once the X3ís newer models started to come with only run flats, they probably joined the rest of the BMW group and went back to the FTM system .
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGX3 View Post
I do infact have iDrive, so I will pay attention to the reset as you mentioned to ensure I do not have TPMS as well during switch.
Really? You do have an e83 right???? The f25 has Idrive but not the e83.

Idrive was not available during the product rum of the e83. The models with nav came with the older mkIV system...which IMHO was better than Idrive (I have a fully optioned 09 bought new and I love my mkIV non idrive nav).

There is a super easy way to know if you have tpms. If you see this button on your console next to DTC, you have tpms:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358399768.200780.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	358039  

Last edited by x3brian; 01-16-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM

That's the button that also applies to indirect FTM (no sensors in wheels) so doesn't tell you if you have direct TPMS.

The metal valves with a nut on them and plastic caps are the best indicator.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:49 AM

My apologizes I meant to simply say X Drive, you are correct.

I do have the metal valves. I'll just continue with my original course of action then, and wait to see what my wheel guy says when I make the switch, and if I do infact have them, I'll simply just switch them over from my stock oem set to my new set.

Seems like the best way of figuring it out from what I can gather so far.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: MB R129, BMW X3
for your reference

My 2005 X3 3.0i has the "Tire Defect Indicator".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WDS-Tyre Defect Indicator (RPA).pdf (20.5 KB, 229 views)
1992 MBenz R129 300SL-24
2005 BMW E83 X3 3.0i
Old 01-17-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
That's the button that also applies to indirect FTM (no sensors in wheels) so doesn't tell you if you have direct TPMS.

The metal valves with a nut on them and plastic caps are the best indicator.
I didn't realize that...although I thought of another way...

Take 10 psi out of a tire and see if the warning come on immediately at start up or if you have to be driving around.

A direct tpms system will send a signal to the computer of a low pressure scenario. The other system uses abs wheel sensors and measures revolutions of the wheel at speed.

Last edited by x3brian; 01-17-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
I didn't realize that...although I thought of another way...

Take 10 psi out of a tire .......
Yes, I was thinking if there could an easy test like that, based on the fact that the indirect FTM will not detect anything if all 4 tires have lost pressure equally.

The direct TPMS will alert you immediately under that circumstance.

So if a 2007 X3 owner was uncertain whether they had FTM or TPMS (most built late in the model year for U.S. market appear to have TPMS), you could check it by dropping all 4 tires to 20 psi and drive off to see if you get an alert.

If you don't get an alert you have FTM, if you do, you have TPMS.

There are definitely a few Canadian BMWs where an owner has mistakenly bought sensors with a new set of wheels and they are serving no useful purpose.

This is because many other car makers have been putting direct TPMS in their Canadian market models since 2008 because it's simpler for them even though not required.
(Not uniform because with Japanese models, for example, it may depend on which country the assembly plant is in.)

Consequently, tire & wheel shops in Canada tend to assume that customers need TPMS sensors until proven otherwise.

Same for European market, although they do seem to be making it mandatory for 2014.
Whether they will approve direct TPMS only and exclude indirect FTM I am not sure.