Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X-5 / 2002 330i
New Cold Climate Dipstick Tube

Preparing to replace my CCV system and getting the parts in order. As a preventive measure, based on comments here in this forum, I believe it is wise to replace the dipstick tube. The replacement oil dipstick tube part number on RealOEM.com is 11437531258 - costing about $75.00. I have read about the new improved BMW dipstick tube part number 11437565437 - costing about $145.00. This new part is NOT listed on RealOEM.com. My dealer does not have a listing for this new PN. I looked it up on several parts websites through Furiousmethod.com (awesome website) and the new tube is classified as a cold climate dipstick tube and many have it in stock. I am replacing my CCV system with a regular design not cold weather design CCV. My question is will the new so called "cold climate" dipstick tube adapt and fit with the regular CCV hose system?
Ads by Google
Old 01-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Given that the Cold Weather version of the CVV is about as useless as the proverbial t!ts on a bull, I would expect the "Cold Weather Dipstick Tube" to fall into this same category. Unless someone can provide *documented* proof of it`s effectiveness, I would say "save your money"....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
There can be different kind for cold climate?
Never heard of.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Never heard of.

Check this out. For sale on several websites:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11437565437/ES24265/
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Never heard of.
Agreed....sounds like marketing BS hype...I say "Prove it !!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMNL52 View Post
Check this out. For sale on several websites:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/11437565437/ES24265/
Just because something is "for sale" doesn`t mean it serves any useful purpose....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
The new version of the dipstick is superior to the old version in that it is more resistance to clogging. Since the original version is a double wall design, I am assuming that the new version just has more space between these walls, thus making clogging more difficult. Since this type of problem occurs only after about 80,000 miles, I suggest you clean your original one and proceed with the CCV overhaul. You will see when you pull your dipstick what I am referring to. Use plenty of parts cleaner, and a brush and thin wire to ensure that you existing dipstick is perfectly clean. Short trips and extended oil drain intervals exacerbate CCV clogging problems. From what I can gather, 90% of all CCV clogging problems occur in the tube just before the dipstick, or the dipstick itself.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
The new version of the dipstick is superior to the old version in that it is more resistance to clogging. Since the original version is a double wall design, I am assuming that the new version just has more space between these walls, thus making clogging more difficult. Since this type of problem occurs only after about 80,000 miles, I suggest you clean your original one and proceed with the CCV overhaul. You will see when you pull your dipstick what I am referring to. Use plenty of parts cleaner, and a brush and thin wire to ensure that you existing dipstick is perfectly clean. Short trips and extended oil drain intervals exacerbate CCV clogging problems. From what I can gather, 90% of all CCV clogging problems occur in the tube just before the dipstick, or the dipstick itself.
This is consistent with what I have learned from other Bimmerfest members in this forum. This newer dipstick tube was designed by BMW as a fix for clogged dipstick tubes. It is part of a March 2009 BMW technical service bulletin (SI B 11 08 03) issued for clogged CCV systems. This service bulletin is the cold climate version of the CCV system. Not sure what I am in for when I remove my dipstick tube (now at 147k miles) but will most likely replace it if it cannot be cleaned out sufficiently. I am not installing the CCV cold climate kit with insulated hoses and this new dipstick tube is termed "cold climate" dipstick tube.

I already learned that the bottom of the new tube is the same size as the old tube and fits into the engine with no problem. The fitment issue is with the CCV drain hose where it attaches to the dipstick tube. My question is -- can this newer cold climate dipstick tube be used when replacing my standard CCV system with standard hoses? Has anyone done this?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Fitment "should" be the same because the cold climate CCV is just the regular CCV with some foam insulation on it, and the tubes, in a weak attempt to reduce cold weather condensation in the system.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Fitment "should" be the same because the cold climate CCV is just the regular CCV with some foam insulation on it, and the tubes, in a weak attempt to reduce cold weather condensation in the system.
Agree; I don't believe the added insulation provides much significant protection and I read where it is a PITA to install, but a wider dipstick tube is worth considering to prevent clogging if it works as advertised. It stands to reason that the CCV drain hose would fit but I wanted to verify that fact with someone who has done it.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Agree; I don't believe the added insulation provides much significant protection and I read where it is a PITA to install, but a wider dipstick tube is worth considering to prevent clogging if it works as advertised. It stands to reason that the CCV drain hose would fit but I wanted to verify that fact with someone who has done it.
Call a supplier that sells the tube, and ask them to measure the OD of the inlet connection for you, and compare it with the "standard" version....

Old 01-17-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Call a supplier that sells the tube, and ask them to measure the OD of the inlet connection for you, and compare it with the "standard" version....
That is a good idea if I can get them to pull each version out of stock and measure. I already sent fitment inquiries to Pelican, ESC Tuning and Turner. No one seems to know. I'll ask Mike at Pelican to measure.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Just heard back from Mike at Pelican. His response: "Unfortunately, the parts are 700 miles away from me but, now that i think about it - I've sold hundreds of conversions for people to upgrade their non-cold climate to the cold climate and have never sold the updated dipstick tube . So, the block is the same, the dipstick hoses are interchangeable, new hose would have to fit both ...."
Old 01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Just heard back from Mike at Pelican. His response: "Unfortunately, the parts are 700 miles away from me but, now that i think about it - I've sold hundreds of conversions for people to upgrade their non-cold climate to the cold climate and have never sold the updated dipstick tube . So, the block is the same, the dipstick hoses are interchangeable, new hose would have to fit both ...."
Sounds like a plan.....although logic would dictate that the choke point would be where it fits into the block boss....both tubes would have to be the same physical size at that point, which, IMHO, would negate any benefit of having a larger-diameter tube above that point (picture a large funnel and a smaller funnel, side by side. Both have the same size exit hole. The larger one really has no advantage over the smaller one)

Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a plan.....although logic would dictate that the choke point would be where it fits into the block boss....both tubes would have to be the same physical size at that point, which, IMHO, would negate any benefit of having a larger-diameter tube above that point (picture a large funnel and a smaller funnel, side by side. Both have the same size exit hole. The larger one really has no advantage over the smaller one)
As I understand it the new design eliminated the original design's internal concentric ring with oil drain orfices below the CCV drain pipe fitting (that attaches to the CCV drain hose) allowing the free flow of oil to drip down into the pan. With the original design, oil sludge blocked the internal orfices from the bottom up to and into the CCV drain fitting off of the tube.

Would like to hear from someone who can state whether the new tube stays clear or not. Or said another way.....is the new tube worth the cost?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
"...which is common for M54 motors..."

Ok yes some mates in Finland have had some issues in cold as i searched online... and problem can be so serious that car need to be towed.
They changed some oil tubing part... which might be even this part according what they say.

+apparently it's normal to have pair of these

it's cutting bit of cooling so that engine bay wouldn't become so cold.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:51 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
With the original design, oil sludge blocked the internal orfices from the bottom up to and into the CCV drain fitting off of the tube.
I (still) have the OEM dipstick tube on my M54, which I bought still under the original warranty for use in the Silicon Valley (where it never gets cold) and mine was clogged SOLID this summer:
- How to test, clean, & redesign the original BMW dipstick guide tube to prevent CCV vent clogs (1)

Quote:
Would like to hear from someone who can state whether the new tube stays clear or not. Or said another way.....is the new tube worth the cost?
I'd love to know details because I had to drill out the concentric rings manually with tent-pole-threading wire!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-18-2013, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 06 325ci/04 330i
I had a new ccv system installed at 60,000 kms (40,000 miles) on my old 2004 330i, lasted 2 years and 20,000kms before new design tube and all cold weather components pugged up again and hydro locked the engine, fortunately was a month before the 2 year service parts warranty expired! So I cannot say that it works that well.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagez View Post
I had a new ccv system installed at 60,000 kms (40,000 miles) on my old 2004 330i, lasted 2 years and 20,000kms before new design tube and all cold weather components pugged up again and hydro locked the engine, fortunately was a month before the 2 year service parts warranty expired! So I cannot say that it works that well.
Thanks for the input but disappointed to hear the new tube clogged up within 12,500 miles. Not good. What did you do to fix it a second time?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Just heard back from ECS Tuning -- "This will fit on the standard CCV system, as the fittings are the same."
Old 05-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
Quote:
+apparently it's normal to have pair of these

it's cutting bit of cooling so that engine bay wouldn't become so cold.
Been looking for something like this. Do you know the part number? I was going to make my own, but would prefer something nicer that is mounted on the inside of the grill.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM

CCV system & Cold Weather Redesigned dip stick tube

Finally got my indy to replace the entire CCV system and installed the redesigned (cold weather) dipstick tube. All went very smoothly. This was the regular CCV system integrated with a cold weather dip sticik tube. The new CCV hoses all fit and the new dipstick tube adapted well. No more clogs for me and lean codes have disappeared.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Finally got my indy to replace the entire CCV system and installed the redesigned (cold weather) dipstick tube. All went very smoothly. This was the regular CCV system integrated with a cold weather dip sticik tube. The new CCV hoses all fit and the new dipstick tube adapted well. No more clogs for me and lean codes have disappeared.
Congrats Glad to hear the patient survived....

It will be interesting to see how this "improved" piece performs over the long run....

Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Congrats Glad to hear the patient survived....

It will be interesting to see how this "improved" piece performs over the long run....
Thanks Fast Bob. Will keep you posted.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 06 Quartz Blue 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagez View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the input but disappointed to hear the new tube clogged up within 12,500 miles. Not good. What did you do to fix it a second time?
Make sure your engine is operating at the right temps. If it runs cold, it won't cook off the moisture in the oil and thus will result in clogging up the CCV. Good way to tell is if there is any "mayo" under the oil filler cap or on the dipstick itself. The thermostats are know to soft-fail (they fail open). Use the OBC to check; should be operating in the mid 90Cs. See attached pdf file for the procedure. Since short drives especially in the winter contribute to the problem, be sure to drive it for an extended period of time, say 25-30 miles at freeway speeds at least once a week.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC hidden functions.pdf (37.1 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by HacksawMark; 05-16-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawMark View Post
See atatched pdf file for the procedure.
That version works just fine, but I pdf'd a cleaner version to replace it. More readable.
Should print out and keep in glove box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OBC Hidden Functions.pdf (47.3 KB, 44 views)